Playoffs - 5A Championship - Oak Ridge vs Summit

CardinalGrey

49 minutes ago, ORcats said:

I really want Oak Ridge to win, but I'm worried about this game.  I was also worried about the Powell game, the Soddy Daisy game, the Rhea County game, the West game, and South Doyle.  These Wildcats are starting to make a believer out of me.  Go Wildcats and Good Luck!

I feel exactly the same way!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, calvol said:

Can anybody comment on OR's defense and why it's so good?  Watched a replay of SD, and for one, #28 DE, seems to be all over the place.  Just interested in the game, I last saw OR win a state title in '78 or '79 in Jackson, TN I believe.

I am no expert but here is my take. #28 is on fire and most of the defense is playing their best right now. The defense has a knack for scoring TDs. If the team is arriving at the ball carrier as a Pack of Cats things are going good for OR. If we are trying to take Wade one on one we are in trouble.

OR must win as a team and is capable of doing just that. Summit can swamp OR with athletes and is capable of doing that. This game is going to OT,  ORHS 27   SHS 24.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calvol said:

Can anybody comment on OR's defense and why it's so good?  Watched a replay of SD, and for one, #28 DE, seems to be all over the place.  Just interested in the game, I last saw OR win a state title in '78 or '79 in Jackson, TN I believe.

It just took a little bit of time as a cohesive unit together throughout the season to get really good like that and gel as a unit. Adams #55 has seemed to set the tone on D as the SR leader, playing with a tremendous amount of intensity, which has seemed to rub off on the rest of the guys. #28 and #7 both didn’t even play last year, so I can only imagine how good they’d both be if they had of. They are both darn good regardless of that though. I also think putting #2 @ Safety has helped tremendously as well. If you noticed, we have only been beaten once (1st West game) since he took over the position from #17, a Sophomore who was hurt in the Farragut game. He is excellent both at stopping the run & pass. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

WTW & SS: thank you for commenting.  It seems OR's front-7 is stellar, playing good team ball, closing the gaps, and penetrating the LOS.  Tackling seems excellent, even so on the perimeter.  That's good assignment FB and players' effort.  Fun to watch.  #2 looks like a MVP, supporting the run defense, playing centerfield against the pass, and a deep threat WR on offense.  Looking forward to this game!

22 minutes ago, calvol said:

WTW & SS: thank you for commenting.  It seems OR's front-7 is stellar, playing good team ball, closing the gaps, and penetrating the LOS.  Tackling seems excellent, even so on the perimeter.  That's good assignment FB and players' effort.  Fun to watch.  #2 looks like a MVP, supporting the run defense, playing centerfield against the pass, and a deep threat WR on offense.  Looking forward to this game!

You’re welcome, my friend. Thanks for keeping it classy. You and 92Dragon are actually classy Clinton fans. And you’re right, #2 has arguably had an All State type season, no doubt.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

We need to mention one more player on defense and that is # 23. Very strong, quick, smart with a nose for the ball. Just a solid All State type player.

A blast from the past...back in 1991, Gallatin was also a big favorite to beat Oak Ridge in the AAA State Championship game. People saw we let Central score 41 points on us in the semifinals and figured the Green Wave would also run up the score. WRONG! Central was just a darn good team and Oak Ride held GHS to just 3 points.