Playoffs - 5A Championship - Oak Ridge vs Summit

CardinalGrey

5 hours ago, SweetScience said:

It would about knock you out if he hit you in the head with it in the stands too. That stuff was hard as a rock.

I remember a group of students who were always yelling for John to throw gum to them.  He would ignore them and walk by, then sling a huge handful of gum like a fastball right at them.  We would duck for cover, then watch the kids recover the gum from under the bleachers.  Too funny!

Edited by CardinalGrey

6 hours ago, STILLNUM1 said:

The Oak Ridge offense will have to play as good as they did vs West which would be hard to do.Even though this Oak Ridge defense has been good I think we need 30 plus pts to win this game.The Summit QB is just a different animal from anything we have faced this year.Really is the worst matchup for how we play.Main thing on offense is can we just be decent upfront after getting ran through by the SD Dline.Can the defense keep the QB under 250 all purpose yards.Seems to me that Miner defenses has struggled in the past with duel threat QBs and Wade is one of best Ive seen in high school

SN1, speed kills and I think this will play into this game just as it did last year. Knox area teams are known for their speed and quickness. Powell, West, OR, Central, SD, we all have and see speed all year. It pays off when the playoffs start. If you go look at the Summit coach's post game interviews (You-Tube) after the championship game last year he says "we couldn't handle their speed". Central contained Wade for the most part all night. 

OR needs to score points, but I think scoring will be harder for Summit. Hope I don't jinx OR!

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

SN1, speed kills and I think this will play into this game just as it did last year. Knox area teams are known for their speed and quickness. Powell, West, OR, Central, SD, we all have and see speed all year. It pays off when the playoffs start. If you go look at the Summit coach's post game interviews (You-Tube) after the championship game last year he says "we couldn't handle their speed". Central contained Wade for the most part all night. 

OR needs to score points, but I think scoring will be harder for Summit. Hope I don't jinx OR!

I don't disagree with this.  I'm not saying it's definitive, but there's definitely some truth to it.

10 hours ago, calvol said:

Ok Opie, will do.  We did beat the Ridge in '71, so I'll keep that in my back pocket.  But we all know the reason Clinton FB went down, and that is the emergence of AC, which basically drained half the talent away.  Anyway, I just like good HS FB, glad the county is represented in the State finals, especially when UT is so bad this year. 

Calvol o.r. won in 1971.Do you know what county you are in?Go back to sleep.

Edited by Opie Shaggnasty

10 hours ago, calvol said:

You bet SS.  I was Clinton '72, and had a lot of OR friends, played in the OR tennis leagues back in the day.  My Dad took me to Blankenship for some big OR games in the mid-60's when Emmon Love played, so I appreciate the tradition.  I keep up with OR FB way out here in San Diego, usually go to a game when I come back to Tenn with my OR buddies.  This year not, because of Covid :(  Enjoy your posts, good football talk-- cheers!

Calvol congrats on your '72 dragon diploma.You sound like a traitor.Go summit.

24 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

How do you see it going, GH?

I haven't been able to watch Summit enough to feel certain yet.  Those twins are studs, but the idea of more team speed in the local regions seems to hold true generally.  I'm afraid it will come down to whichever team makes the fewest turnovers or special teams.  

35 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

How do you see it going, GH?

I finally got around to watching some of Summit's game film, SS. The twins are obviously impressive, but based on film alone, OR has to believe that they can win this football game. I know this is easier said than done (just ask Henry County), but OR's chances revolve around stopping/slowing the QB.

Take that with a grain of salt though. I had seen a lot of Henry County this season, and I really thought they were the team to beat in Cookeville, after OR beat West. Just goes to show how many good teams there were in 5A this season.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I finally got around to watching some of Summit's game film, SS. The twins are obviously impressive, but based on film alone, OR has to believe that they can win this football game. I know this is easier said than done (just ask Henry County), but OR's chances revolve around stopping/slowing the QB.

Take that with a grain of salt though. I had seen a lot of Henry County this season, and I really thought they were the team to beat in Cookeville, after OR beat West. Just goes to show how many good teams there were in 5A this season.

What position does the other brother play, Nut? From the predictions I’m hearing, not many people (besides our fans of course) aren’t giving us much of a chance. So no really good WRs that stood out? What about the D? Sorry, just haven’t gotten a chance to sit down and watch anything.

25 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

What position does the other brother play, Nut? From the predictions I’m hearing, not many people (besides our fans of course) aren’t giving us much of a chance. So no really good WRs that stood out? What about the D? Sorry, just haven’t gotten a chance to sit down and watch anything.

Defensive end. 

37 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

One plays QB, the other plays DE.

I'm just using the eyeball test, but no one else jumps out quite like the Wade twins. They have a pretty sound offensive line, but they aren't overwhelming opposing front sevens. Outside of the QB, they don't have anyone at the skill positions that stands out. Not an overly athletic team on defense either. That said, they looked like a well-coached team, and the QB is a true difference maker with his arm and legs.

10 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

One plays QB, the other plays DE.

I'm just using the eyeball test, but no one else jumps out quite like the Wade twins. They have a pretty sound offensive line, but they aren't overwhelming opposing front sevens. Outside of the QB, they don't have anyone at the skill positions that stands out. Not an overly athletic team on defense either. That said, they looked like a well-coached team, and the QB is a true difference maker with his arm and legs.

I understand. That’s about all you can go by in this situation. I trust your analysis though because you’re a knowledgeable guy about the game. The closer it gets though the more I think weather might play a factor. Haven’t looked @ Friday in the Cookeville area, but here it’s supposed to rain. If so, not good for the Cats because as you know we struggle to run the tater.