Governor Rolls Back Sporting Event Attendance Restrictions

oceansize42

The governor has removed attendance restrictions starting February 1st.

Who has the pull to get TSSAA to let 4 in per weight class from each region as normal?  We all know that good kids are going to get left out in the some of the more capable regions.

Doesn't sound good on the TSSAA side as they were quick to highlight how his mandate doesn't seem to mean much to them in that they can maintain current rules.

https://tssaa.org/article/governors-attendance-restrictions-to-be-lifted-on-feb-1

Edited by oceansize42
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GoTNwrestling said:

Could the same thing be said about the duals?

Absolutely but the individual states are three weeks away so I know there is time to make changes. I'm not  sure on the duals but I encourage everybody to reach out and see what can be done. 

It is extremely illogical to lift attendance but deny the wrestlers.  Should not happen.

Probably also worth noting that just because the government lifts a regulation that it doesn't mean it is a good time to go back to doing things full bore.  It just indicates that the government doesn't feel things are at a point where they need to control it.  Local health departments actually overrode the governor in some areas already.  This would still come down to what local agencies and the state governing body think is right.

I could almost guarantee you that there is no way the TSSAA takes a step back from their current plans / protocols because that could in theory open them up to scrutiny / liability.

I don't think what I ask happens and it was great there was a season at all but I do think the question needs to be asked.   If there is not a way it can or will happen due to liability or local restrictions then I understand.   

Assuming 16 wrestlers per bracket and 2 relatives each that is 448 people (excluding staff) at the venue day one.  32 wrestlers per bracket and 2 relatives each is 896 people day one.  I understand the difference is non-negligible but nonetheless I think it deserving a look.  NHSCA events and Super 32 went on with thousands at various indoor venues.  The vast majority I saw complied with masking regulations.

Edited by oceansize42

16 hours ago, oceansize42 said:

The governor has removed attendance restrictions starting February 1st.

Who has the pull to get TSSAA to let 4 in per weight class from each region as normal?  We all know that good kids are going to get left out in the some of the more capable regions.

Doesn't sound good on the TSSAA side as they were quick to highlight how his mandate doesn't seem to mean much to them in that they can maintain current rules.

https://tssaa.org/article/governors-attendance-restrictions-to-be-lifted-on-feb-1

Did I miss something?  When did they officially announce that there was going to be less than 4 wrestlers per weight class for traditional state?

Edited by rideOut

4 minutes ago, rideOut said:

Did I miss something?  When did they officially announce that there was going to be less than 4 wrestlers per weight class for traditional state?

Yes, they are only taking the top two from each weight class from each region this year instead of the normal four.  I can't point you to a specific article but this is common knowledge amongst the wrestling community.

Edited by oceansize42

Thanks oceansize42. That's disappointing to hear, I had heard this circling around but wasn't sure if it was true or just a rumor. If it is official then it would make sense, but its still heartbreaking for a lot of wrestlers this season. Thankfully there is a tournament at all.

If someone has seen some sort of official statement or has been in a TSSAA meeting where this has been discussed I'd appreciate some further insight.

One particular around this year's individuals that I was unaware of is that while it is a multi-day event each day is a different classification (AAA, AA, D2).  This obviously presents problems in terms of the numbers since day two would have to be a merge of the leftovers from day 1. However after day 1 more than half are no longer required.