State tourny in cookeville?

90warrior

4 hours ago, LadyCavsFan said:

Under the past contract, TSSAA gets 40% of concessions and all ticket sales.  Murfreesboro Chamber of commerce pays most of the MTSU fees but I am still trying to see where TSSAA keeps from losing money if there is even a limited number of fans.  

Don’t know what the deal would be with Cookeville and what TSSAA would have to pay for the gym. I have no idea what the agreement with MTSU is now. But I do know that they have a lot of bodies to feed at TSSAA and families. Revenue got beat up bad last year when state basketball cancelled {girls and boys), no Spring Fling....We had football but you know it wasn’t full stadiums. I mean TSSAA has to have events and $$$$$ to pay their people that work there. How else do they make money if there is no gate money or limited?? IMO, Lee opened the attendance back up and TSSAA is not going to miss out on ticket sales nor should they. Listening to the meeting a couple of weeks ago Childress said their plan B was to have it at HS gyms in Murfreesboro and Rockvale, give 1 hour breaks after games to clear fans and let other fans in. Now if true and plan has changed to Cookeville, I would bet that Cookeville would have a similar agreement that is now with the governor and HS’s on capacity and ticket sales. TSSAA needs the money to operate I am sure.

Edited by pioneer42

I know that it won't happen for a number of reasons, but I think state championships should rotate between East, Middle and West, not just in basketball but all sports. 

It is a definite advantage to not have to travel a long distance to participate at state. Whether it is tournament or single game/event, the advantage of being able to sleep in your own bed cannot be understated. Being able to stay in a normal routine can make a huge difference. Let alone the benefit of having more fans available to attend. 

The issue is nowhere else seems to bid on these things, and I'd assume it is because there isn't anything in it for the other areas, because the TSSAA takes a large cut of the revenue. There are other venues/areas that would be great to see state titles hosted: UTK, UTC, UTM, Memphis, Vandy, or just other cities with their own venues for sports. The issue is that it takes someone to run all of that and volunteers to assist. 

The whole centralized location thing is a bit of a farce. Golf is moving their championship to the Smokies, Soccer already plays in Chattanooga. Schools in the far East and West are at a disadvantage financially, as well, having to constantly spend money if they regularly make championships. It has less to do with that and more about putting together a package the TSSAA thinks is good. That being said, the more centralized the location, I'm sure the more money they bring in. 

If Tech were willing to host the tournament it would be an upgrade. MTSU is a dated facility, Eblen has been renovated recently and is much nicer than the Murphy Center. It has easier access to I-40 with parking that is better suited. It would be about 4hrs from Memphis and Johnson City. I believe the Upper Cumberland area would come out in droves to watch the average tourney game where in Murfreesboro you don’t get a lot of local ‘fans’ that just come to watch the teams play.  Also, the tournament did rotate around the state yearly until the early 70’s with better roads now that idea wouldn’t be bad to revisit.

Edited by attila
  • Like 1

The Hoop is a great venue and already has great protocols in place, plus Cookeville already hosts the football championships and is fairly centrally located and has easy routes from every direction. At this point, I’m not hearing anything out of the athletics department that would indicate a venue change, but wouldn’t be surprised if it is announced last minute.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tripdub14 said:

The Hoop is a great venue and already has great protocols in place, plus Cookeville already hosts the football championships and is fairly centrally located and has easy routes from every direction. At this point, I’m not hearing anything out of the athletics department that would indicate a venue change, but wouldn’t be surprised if it is announced last minute.

Based on earlier comments by Childress, they don't seem optimistic they'll play at MTSU. That being said, the day after those comments, they supposedly met with MTSU officials to discuss. I think the more likely scenario is they pick a few larger high schools in Murfreesboro/Nashville area, and play them there. But, if TTU is interested, I wouldn't be surprised to see the switch.

At this point, the thing the TSSAA needs to ensure is they have a plan in place, as well as a contingency. MTSU hung them out to dry last year, which caused the tournament to end prematurely. Can't afford to have that happen this year too. 

12 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

Based on earlier comments by Childress, they don't seem optimistic they'll play at MTSU. That being said, the day after those comments, they supposedly met with MTSU officials to discuss. I think the more likely scenario is they pick a few larger high schools in Murfreesboro/Nashville area, and play them there. But, if TTU is interested, I wouldn't be surprised to see the switch.

At this point, the thing the TSSAA needs to ensure is they have a plan in place, as well as a contingency. MTSU hung them out to dry last year, which caused the tournament to end prematurely. Can't afford to have that happen this year too. 

Not that hard IMO to get HS gyms. Worse case scenario they can play at one of the sites who is actually playing the game. Would be a disadvantage for road team but better than not playing.