Who is top 5 coaches in girls basketball in all classes

Bob38

4 minutes ago, 99SportsFan said:

Well, his teams do compete very well every year with not only their league but with the AA and AAA teams in East Tennessee and they did beat the #1 team in the state in Murfreesboro this past March, but this current NG team does have a lot of talent though.

Well they also lost 20+ to Grainger both times, as well as double digit losses to Northview both times. If they were so good those games would be way more competitive. Yes they did beat the #1 team in the state but as we all saw that was luck. He also lost to a very much less talented Cloudland team whose only thing that keeps them in games with them is the better coaching they have.

Edited by baldeagle22

1 minute ago, baldeagle22 said:

Well they also lost 20+ to Grainger both times, as well as double digit loses to Northview both times. If they were so good those games would be way more competitive. Yes they did beat the #1 team in the state but as we all saw that was luck. He also lost to a very much less talented Cloudland team whose only thing that keeps them in games with them is the better coaching they have.

Those are fair points, but remember Grainger and Northview both made good runs in the AA State tournament with Grainger almost winning it, yes I would have liked to have seen us more competitive in those games than what we were. I will have to agree with you about Cloudland, coach Birchfield is a great coach and always seems to have a good game plan for us.

Just now, 99SportsFan said:

Those are fair points, but remember Grainger and Northview both made good runs in the AA State tournament with Grainger almost winning it, yes I would have liked to have seen us more competitive in those games than what we were. I will have to agree with you about Cloudland, coach Birchfield is a great coach and always seems to have a good game plan for us.

Well what about the lost to Greeneville who was put out in the region semis? And Jeff County as well. They looked terrible at the start of the year and only picked it up towards tournament time, and I know that all those girls can play so coaching must be an issue. They all have went downhill since being in that program. 

6 minutes ago, baldeagle22 said:

Well what about the lost to Greeneville who was put out in the region semis? And Jeff County as well. They looked terrible at the start of the year and only picked it up towards tournament time, and I know that all those girls can play so coaching must be an issue. They all have went downhill since being in that program. 

The Greeneville game was at least close and they have a talented team also. We did look terrible at Jeff Co. so no excuses there but they started playing well late in the year also. I agree that we didn’t play very good basketball as a TEAM until late in the season, when coach lets this team run the floor we are as good as anybody in the area,  maybe even the state. I do know coach Buchanan works hard and doesn’t like to lose and his players are working hard in the offseason to get better and I expect a really big season from them next year. I would also say that there is no one who is going to work harder than their boys coach either, coach Tarlton puts in a lot of time with them and it shows every year, NG is blessed to have both of them as their basketball coaches.

4 minutes ago, 99SportsFan said:

The Greeneville game was at least close and they have a talented team also. We did look terrible at Jeff Co. so no excuses there but they started playing well late in the year also. I agree that we didn’t play very good basketball as a TEAM until late in the season, when coach lets this team run the floor we are as good as anybody in the area,  maybe even the state. I do know coach Buchanan works hard and doesn’t like to lose and his players are working hard in the offseason to get better and I expect a really big season from them next year. I would also say that there is no one who is going to work harder than their boys coach either, coach Tarlton puts in a lot of time with them and it shows every year, NG is blessed to have both of them as their basketball coaches.

What are you smoking buddy? I am not impressed with either coach. 

12 minutes ago, baldeagle22 said:

What are you smoking buddy? I am not impressed with either coach. 

I’m sorry you feel that way buddy. NG girls have been to Murfreesboro 5 times since 2010 with several 20+ win seasons during that time, the NG boys have been to Murfreesboro 2 times in Tarlton’s 4 seasons and won 24 and 21 in the 2 seasons that they didn’t make it to state, that’s impressive to me.

1 minute ago, 99SportsFan said:

I’m sorry you feel that way buddy. NG girls have been to Murfreesboro 5 times since 2010 with several 20+ win seasons during that time, the NG boys have been to Murfreesboro 2 times in Tarlton’s 4 seasons and won 24 and 21 in the 2 seasons that they didn’t make it to state, that’s impressive to me.

Well NG girls have a had a hard time even winning a game at state. They have lost first rounds 3 times, this year was only their 2nd final four appearance, and choked away a championship in 2011. So they don’t have a real impressive record  at the state tournament. And as far as Tarlton goes he seems to steal players from us every year. 

4 minutes ago, baldeagle22 said:

Well NG girls have a had a hard time even winning a game at state. They have lost first rounds 3 times, this year was only their 2nd final four appearance, and choked away a championship in 2011. So they don’t have a real impressive record  at the state tournament. And as far as Tarlton goes he seems to steal players from us every year. 

Winning at the state level is not exactly easy you know, like last year when NG played Greenfield in the first round, a team that was one of the best teams I have ever seen play and I’ve seen a lot of basketball games. 2011 was a heartbreaking loss to a good Wayne Co. team, NG was close to bringing home a gold ball in that one but it wasn’t meant to be. Personally I would rather have just a decent state tournament record as to never make it to state and be eliminated in districts or regions every year. By the way, to address your last part, players that are serious about winning and getting better want to play for a coach that’s going to get the most out of them and have an opportunity to advance deep in the tournament every  year, coach Tarlton is as good as any coach out there.

6 minutes ago, 99SportsFan said:

Winning at the state level is not exactly easy you know, like last year when NG played Greenfield in the first round, a team that was one of the best teams I have ever seen play and I’ve seen a lot of basketball games. 2011 was a heartbreaking loss to a good Wayne Co. team, NG was close to bringing home a gold ball in that one but it wasn’t meant to be. Personally I would rather have just a decent state tournament record as to never make it to state and be eliminated in districts or regions every year. By the way, to address your last part, players that are serious about winning and getting better want to play for a coach that’s going to get the most out of them and have an opportunity to advance deep in the tournament every  year, coach Tarlton is as good as any coach out there.

What about those sub-state losses in 2016 and 2019 though. If they’re so good wouldn’t they be able to at least compete better at the state level. But then again it also could be that they aren’t prepared for that type of competition with the teams they play all year, considering they have a weak district and region and sub state is usually pretty easy. For example they won by like 20+ in 2020’s sub state, and by double digits again this year so the caliber of teams they play aren’t much to get there. The only reason they have had so much success the past few years is because assistant coach Ted Haley brought that middle Tennessee mentality up here. 

Edited by baldeagle22

5 minutes ago, baldeagle22 said:

What about those sub-state losses in 2016 and 2019 though. If they’re so good wouldn’t they be able to at least compete better at the state level. But then again it also could be that they aren’t prepared for that type of competition with the teams they play all year, considering they have a weak district and region and sub state is usually pretty easy. For example they won by like 20+ in 2020’s sub state, and by double digits again this year so the caliber of teams they play aren’t much to get there. The only reason they have had so much success the past few years is because assistant coach Ted Haley brought that middle Tennessee mentality up here. 

The 2016 and 2019 Sub state games did slip away from them, but that’s gonna happen occasionally. You can’t control who you play in your district, region, or Sub state games, you just have to go win them. That’s why they play a tough non conference schedule. Not sure about the last part there, I think he does have a lot of coaching experience. 

Just now, 99SportsFan said:

The 2016 and 2019 Sub state games did slip away from them, but that’s gonna happen occasionally. You can’t control who you play in your district, region, or Sub state games, you just have to go win them. That’s why they play a tough non conference schedule. Not sure about the last part there, I think he does have a lot of coaching experience. 

And by tough non conference games you mean Grainger and Northview out of all the teams they played? Try again buddy. 

29 minutes ago, baldeagle22 said:

And by tough non conference games you mean Grainger and Northview out of all the teams they played? Try again buddy. 

Those 2, until the last couple of years CD is usually pretty good, SG is always tough. They always play in the Ladies Classic against good teams and they added Elizabethton this past season also.