Region 7 3A 2021

Allthetalk

I believe there is no question the Covington is the favorite, but how does it fall after that, and will someone challenge for the top spot? Dyersburg maybe, seems to be a lot of confidence surrounding them already this year. I do believe whoever makes it out of this region will represent West Tennessee in the Championship game this season. 

Taking a stab at this.. Honestly feels like its a two man race for this region.

1. Covington (Will keep them there until one of the other teams prove they can beat them.) (5-0)

2. Dyersburg (Returning a lot, I'm hearing good things about them.) (4-1)

3. Bolivar (Returning a lot, might not matter because they were bad last year with what they had.) (2-3)

4. Millington (I have not heard anything about them) (2-3)

5. Ripley (Losing a lot of guys, will be tough to replace their entire OL and DL.) (1-4)

6. Bolton (I have not heard anything about them) (0-5)

Again just me taking a stab at this, one of the bottom 4 could come out of nowhere and win the region, who knows. 

Edited by BigGuy11

7 hours ago, Allthetalk said:

I believe there is no question the Covington is the favorite, but how does it fall after that, and will someone challenge for the top spot? Dyersburg maybe, seems to be a lot of confidence surrounding them already this year. I do believe whoever makes it out of this region will represent West Tennessee in the Championship game this season. 

How many starters does Covington return

5 hours ago, BigGuy11 said:

Taking a stab at this.. Honestly feels like its a two man race for this region.

1. Covington (Will keep them there until one of the other teams prove they can beat them.) (5-0)

2. Dyersburg (Returning a lot, I'm hearing good things about them.) (4-1)

3. Bolivar (Returning a lot, might not matter because they were bad last year with what they had.) (2-3)

4. Millington (I have not heard anything about them) (2-3)

5. Ripley (Losing a lot of guys, will be tough to replace their entire OL and DL.) (1-4)

6. Bolton (I have not heard anything about them) (0-5)

Again just me taking a stab at this, one of the bottom 4 could come out of nowhere and win the region, who knows. 

Are you picking a bolivar team that I think hasn’t won a game in two years to come in third in the region? 

I think the region standings really come down to how well a young millington team has grown and if Ripley can replace what they lost. Covington will be Covington they have Dowell and Flowers coming back which are great players offensively. I know they lose a 3 time I believe middle linebacker. Dyersburgs defense will have to be much improved most teams could score at will last year but I think the offense will keep doing what they do. Ripley is wild card they have gradually gotten better but lose a big senior class so can they reload. Millingtons time is coming they played a lot of freshmen last year so should be on the watch for them for sure. Bolivar and Bolton I just don’t see it. 

On 3/1/2021 at 1:42 PM, Tomcatfan2011 said:

Dyersburg could finish first or second. They only lost 5 seniors this past season, but their non region schedule can get them in trouble they don’t be battle tested come region games 

Amen!!! Been saying that for years but it continues.

First things first, the bottom two in this region will be Bolivar & Bolton in no particular order. Both of those teams have to show me that they can play with any of the other 4 teams in this region before I think otherwise. Covington is obviously the easy favorite, but they still have a lot to prove this year with a new region and missing some kids we've grown accustom to seeing on the field for them. I agree with everyone else when it comes to Dyersburg, young and show tons of potential, but Barbee is gone and that defense has to be fixed! Ripley has been on an upward trend over the past few years and could be a big player in this region. They have beat Dyersburg the last 2 years as well as Millington, so confidence should be running high for them during those match ups. A bunch of new kids on the field with not as much playing experience could cause problems. Millington is the true sleeper in this region. They are young and talented and they have to be hungry by now. Not much respect has been thrown their way over the past few years, but making noise in this region is one way to gain respect. I see it shaping up like this....

1. Covington

2. Ripley

3. Millington

4. Dyersburg

5. Bolivar

6. Bolton

:thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that Covington will be challenged by Dyersburg and/or Ripley. I heard some good stuff about young players at Millington last year, so they may be a factor, too. 

Bolton did not play football last year, so that will give them no recent experience for their players. Bolivar has been playing, but not very well. I would have a hard time seeing either of them competing in this Region.

• 3 months later...

It’s time to re-visit this thread as we are about a month away from real football. 

The big news out of Covington is that QB Tanner Stewart apparently broke his leg during the summer. He’s the QB that came in for Ruffin in that loss to Milan, then suffered a leg injury in the OT. Coach Kirby will have to make a decision about who to start at that position now. Jalen Fayne did an admirable job replacing Ruffin following his injury last year, so he has the experience. Time will tell whether the coaching staff wants to use Fayne, or look at one of the other prospects on the roster.

What’s the news from other 7-3A teams? Any late news?

Edited by CHARGERFAN

20 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

It’s time to re-visit this thread as we are about a month away from real football. 

The big news out of Covington is that QB Tanner Stewart apparently broke his leg during the summer. He’s the QB that came in for Ruffin in that loss to Milan, then suffered a leg injury in the OT. Coach Kirby will have to make a decision about who to start at that position now. Jalen Fayne did an admirable job replacing Ruffin following his injury last year, so he has the experience. Time will tell whether the coaching staff wants to use Fayne, or look at one of the other prospects on the roster.

What’s the news from other 7-3A teams? Any late news?

Really hate to hear that. I never want to see/hear about a kid getting hurt... I though Fayne was a senior. If I read that correct and he is still on the team, I think he would be the obvious choose. 

Edited by ManOfMillions