AC Mavs 2021

Djohnson

On 7/23/2021 at 7:28 AM, olhickory said:

Mavs traveled to Hardin Valley Tuesday for 7v7.  I watched about the first 45 minutes and Martinez completed all but three balls.  The Mavs hit from all over the field and scored at will with their rotating  group of receivers.  The real fun was watching the guys up front battle with a tug a war and tire flip contest.  I know none of this has anything to do with putting the pads on and getting after it, but it was fun to watch.  With that being said , I got to slip out of work for a few and watch practice in helmet and shoulder pads on Wednesday and the Mavs came out and did what they seem to always do.  The Bigs went got some great work with one on ones and picking up blitzes, and Martinez and Co went on the other end and put on a passing exhibition for about and hour.  Noe looks huge, he runs like a tank, Shannon has added a few pounds and will be an issue for opposing offensive and defensive coordinators.  They had some length on the field at receiver with Vowell leading the way and 1, 3, 30,34 all making big targets for Martinez.  Terry, 5,6, are smaller quicker receivers who catch balls and turn them into first downs and bigger plays with their feet.  Defensively, I got to see Nelson and DL get some work.  The Mavs look to be big and athletic in the front 7, and seem to have the same group they had last season in the back end of the defense which held up well last season.  I saw a few new players that I didn't know, and I will excited to see who they are.  I will be around next week some to see how the first week in full gear goes. I am not sure I can get to Stone Memorial for the scrimmage but will be at the DB scrimmage to watch .  

Thanks for another good update; Hickory. Mavs sound solid...!!

Wondering how the kicking game is going? Hope we can keep Ella busy again this year.

Edited by Mavericksinflight
Additional comments

I saw AC's schedule and they are going to have their hands full just about every week.

I feel like this schedule will definitely get them ready for the playoffs.  AC might have a few more losses in the regular season, but should make a very deep playoff run if they stay healthy.

Good luck Mavs!!  

On 7/28/2021 at 3:04 PM, 92Dragon said:

I saw AC's schedule and they are going to have their hands full just about every week.

I feel like this schedule will definitely get them ready for the playoffs.  AC might have a few more losses in the regular season, but should make a very deep playoff run if they stay healthy.

Good luck Mavs!!  

It should be a fun year. Definitely challenging for the Mavs. Best wishes for the Dragons too !

• Like 1

I went up to see practice last night, and the Mavs must have given them the night off. I was able to see practice one night this week.  It was full of energy even near the 9:45 mark.  The team was flying around and having fun. You could hear the coaches and the players encouraging each other and the energy they were creating was electric.  I counted 89 players and saw the Mavs 2 platooning the 4 and 5 wide receivers.  Martinez was on again, and the offense and defense got after it.  Noe ran the ball hard and it was great to see Moog back running the ball as well.  Vowell , Terry,  Shannon, Davis, 3, 5, 1, 6, 7 and a new rec , 28 all were involved in catching the laser show that Martinez put on.  Offensive line is a question on everyone's mind, but they look Big and they move pretty well.  We will see when they travel Tuesday and they have to block someone else.   I won't make it to Stone Tuesday, but will be ready to see the Mavs host 6A Kingsport DB Friday.  I hope it is game type scrimmage, and I look forward to seeing the 2021 team take the field.  The Defense took the next session and it got loud and the players got after each other.  The one on one session was fun to watch from the stands.  It got the dads out of their chairbacks as both sides got after it.  I won't make predictions, but I watched this team and they strike each other in practice.  They are fast and run very good routes. The defense always seems to give opposing teams trouble.   I am excited to see the kicking game in the scrimmages as I understand the kickers are working at different times, with a kicking coach.  Yall come out and let's have a big crowd to welcome Upper East Tennessee to AC.  I think it will the only time they have ever lined up.  I have been watching Maverick Football for over 30 years, and I can't remember seeing this many kids who can run and play the game as they have right now.  We have had some talented teams, but this one is DEEP.

2 hours ago, olhickory said:

I went up to see practice last night, and the Mavs must have given them the night off. I was able to see practice one night this week.  It was full of energy even near the 9:45 mark.  The team was flying around and having fun. You could hear the coaches and the players encouraging each other and the energy they were creating was electric.  I counted 89 players and saw the Mavs 2 platooning the 4 and 5 wide receivers.  Martinez was on again, and the offense and defense got after it.  Noe ran the ball hard and it was great to see Moog back running the ball as well.  Vowell , Terry,  Shannon, Davis, 3, 5, 1, 6, 7 and a new rec , 28 all were involved in catching the laser show that Martinez put on.  Offensive line is a question on everyone's mind, but they look Big and they move pretty well.  We will see when they travel Tuesday and they have to block someone else.   I won't make it to Stone Tuesday, but will be ready to see the Mavs host 6A Kingsport DB Friday.  I hope it is game type scrimmage, and I look forward to seeing the 2021 team take the field.  The Defense took the next session and it got loud and the players got after each other.  The one on one session was fun to watch from the stands.  It got the dads out of their chairbacks as both sides got after it.  I won't make predictions, but I watched this team and they strike each other in practice.  They are fast and run very good routes. The defense always seems to give opposing teams trouble.   I am excited to see the kicking game in the scrimmages as I understand the kickers are working at different times, with a kicking coach.  Yall come out and let's have a big crowd to welcome Upper East Tennessee to AC.  I think it will the only time they have ever lined up.  I have been watching Maverick Football for over 30 years, and I can't remember seeing this many kids who can run and play the game as they have right now.  We have had some talented teams, but this one is DEEP.

Hickory that kind of news is more than a fun year. Sounding Very Exciting! I am beginning to get pumped up. This tough schedule makes me hold my Breath. Can't wait to get a good report on the kicking game too. Kicking touchbacks last year extended the Mavs energy levels and possibly kept Some unnecessary points off the board. More importantly it keeps Ella healthy and off of BP meds...HaHa

Great News Thanks!

The scrimmage starts at 5:30 Friday.  DB has a long way to travel and so the scrimmage time was moved up to 5:30.  The Mavs traveled to Stone Memorial Tuesday.  I wasn't able to attend, but after talking with those that did attend, it sounded like the Mavericks had their way again on offense and defense.  The did not use the ten play format that many early scrimmages use.  It was down and distance from the start.  Martinez put on a light show throwing balls to 8 different receivers.  Gavin Noe and Moog split time at the RB position, and both ran the ball well as I understand.  The Maverick first team got 4 possessions and drove the 80 yards each time to score.  Defensively, the Mavericks did not allow a score in four drives with the first team on the field.  The kicker punched all 4 FGs through.  The Mavs used the rest of the day to get their JV and Freshman in the game.  They scored 3 and allowed 2 with that group on 4 possessions.  There will be a bigger test on Friday at Maverick stadium as DB rolls into town.  I look forward to a big night, and hopefully no injuries.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, olhickory said:

The scrimmage starts at 5:30 Friday.  DB has a long way to travel and so the scrimmage time was moved up to 5:30.  The Mavs traveled to Stone Memorial Tuesday.  I wasn't able to attend, but after talking with those that did attend, it sounded like the Mavericks had their way again on offense and defense.  The did not use the ten play format that many early scrimmages use.  It was down and distance from the start.  Martinez put on a light show throwing balls to 8 different receivers.  Gavin Noe and Moog split time at the RB position, and both ran the ball well as I understand.  The Maverick first team got 4 possessions and drove the 80 yards each time to score.  Defensively, the Mavericks did not allow a score in four drives with the first team on the field.  The kicker punched all 4 FGs through.  The Mavs used the rest of the day to get their JV and Freshman in the game.  They scored 3 and allowed 2 with that group on 4 possessions.  There will be a bigger test on Friday at Maverick stadium as DB rolls into town.  I look forward to a big night, and hopefully no injuries.  

Great Update! 

4 minutes ago, haweanbula said:

AC dominated the scrimmage. DB had a few plays here or there. They did a 10 play drive then Down and Distance after your 10 plays was the way the scrimmage was set up. 

Thank you! Sounds like a good day for the Mavs. A good day for the rebuilding Indians as they had their strengths and weaknesses revealed.

Edited by noonesfool