Shot clock

mondo44

On 5/13/2021 at 12:04 PM, logcabinman said:

I am for a shot clock, however, I do understand the task of getting someone to man it.  I agree,  It is hard enough for some schools to get someone to keep the clock.  It will be very difficult to do both.

I am also ok with a 45 sec. boys clock and a 1:00 girls clock.  This way you can use some strategy with a slow down game, but still are not holding the ball for 2:00 minutes or so.  Macon Co. was very successful using the hold on tactic this year.

You didn’t watch Macon County much this year did you? 

Too many blowouts and mismatches as it is, TSSAA should maybe consider it if the shot clock is turned off when there is already a running clock with a team up 30. Plus a lot of the bad teams have enough issues getting the ball up court adding a shot clock that forces them to shot bad forced shots is an issue. 

11 hours ago, Khall555 said:

Too many blowouts and mismatches as it is, TSSAA should maybe consider it if the shot clock is turned off when there is already a running clock with a team up 30. Plus a lot of the bad teams have enough issues getting the ball up court adding a shot clock that forces them to shot bad forced shots is an issue. 

Macon County and Gibson County look a lot alike. Full court press and play fast. Both are alike when they get up in the 4th they hold it late and make the other team foul them. What good teams do.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 10:32 AM, SportsWestTN said:

Would have to come out of gate or paid by booster clubs. Thats why people wouldnt want to pay it. Already places that complain about having to pay officials as much as they do.

I would bet you will have two teams that will not want it and they are Westview and Gleason. Both of them love playing slow half court basketball. 

6 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

I would bet you will have two teams that will not want it and they are Westview and Gleason. Both of them love playing slow half court basketball. 

Westview was the team I thought of when the shot clock was mentioned. It’s strange they play the stall game when they usually have a lot of depth and could run teams at a faster pace. 

1 hour ago, Khall555 said:

Westview was the team I thought of when the shot clock was mentioned. It’s strange they play the stall game when they usually have a lot of depth and could run teams at a faster pace. 

I agree especially with a D-1 PG. Don’t have to worry about the slow game with Gibson County.

19 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

There are a lot of teams that will resist it but these would definitely be two. Shot clock is needed but will meet too much opposition.

On 5/15/2021 at 9:58 PM, Khall555 said:

No, just substate, cause we played them, and with about 4:00 to go and a 4 to 6 point lead, they held the ball.  I agree good strategy if you can hit your foul shots.

2 hours ago, SportsWestTN said:

There are a lot of teams that will resist it but these would definitely be two. Shot clock is needed but will meet too much opposition.

I don't necessarily think it is needed.  There are a lot more bad teams than there are good ones.  Shot clock would make it worse.  I have seen teams hold it for last shot and stall and to me, thats part of strategy.  If you don't like it, then don't let teams do it.

1 hour ago, Fan15 said:

I don't necessarily think it is needed.  There are a lot more bad teams than there are good ones.  Shot clock would make it worse.  I have seen teams hold it for last shot and stall and to me, thats part of strategy.  If you don't like it, then don't let teams do it.

There are stories from back in the day where games finished with a final score of 4 to 2 because both teams just held the ball. I agree that slowing down the game should be part of strategy but there is a point where holding the ball stops being a basketball game. A team shouldnt have to start fouling with four or five minutes left in the game to get the ball back just because the other team is content to sit on the ball. 45 second shot clock still gives you a chance to milk more than enough clock but still forces you to play. 

1 hour ago, SportsWestTN said:

There are stories from back in the day where games finished with a final score of 4 to 2 because both teams just held the ball. I agree that slowing down the game should be part of strategy but there is a point where holding the ball stops being a basketball game. A team shouldnt have to start fouling with four or five minutes left in the game to get the ball back just because the other team is content to sit on the ball. 45 second shot clock still gives you a chance to milk more than enough clock but still forces you to play. 

It actually works in Gibson County’s favor a lot playing slow because as a rule we have good post and play solid defense but I personally can’t stand it. Westview and Gleason refuse to play fast and I think both coaches are good one’s, but to this day that is always talked about at the coffee shop why they play slow.Westview has had some serious talent go through there the last 10-12 years.