What is happening at Columbia?

1 hour ago, 18NCS said:

Nice 3rd post!  Didn't see any posters compare this Columbia team to their State Title team.  Fact is the new coach took over very close to the start of the season.  Many folks agree that given the circumstances, the Lions were coached well and were very competitive.  Who is your team and how did they do this season?  

Independence. It was an ok year for us. Lost to a solid team from Memphis in the first round. Since it was a late addition and from what I’ve heard most of the coaches left during that time I would give credit. Not sure if the coach was able to hire anyone since it was that late. I don’t know why the previous coach was let go so I guess it had to be for something internal bc I’ve seen columbia in the playoffs regularly. Didn’t they go to the second round last year? 

The way that whole situation was handled with the removal of Coach Hoath looked very odd, and I still don’t think it seems like it was handled very well.

With that being said, the changes they made paid off in year 1. Credit to the new head coach and his staff for doing the job they did this year. Columbia had a good year. I’ll be interested to see how things continue to go in the future. That school and community is built to have an outstanding football program that can be a contender year in and year out, if they have the right leaders in place. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Went to the game last night and it looked very sloppy from both sides. A lot of penalties. Good win for the new head coach. Dickson definitely had opportunities to win the game but good job by Columbia defense bending and not breaking. Columbia needs to get better or they will struggle in district. Just based off watching last night Columbia will be battling for the 4th spot in their district. Just my prediction is if columbia doesn't clean up their penalties and not be predictable on offense they will not make the playoffs. I hope they do for the new head coach but it will be tough for them.  

1 hour ago, TheEaglesNest said:

Went to the game last night and it looked very sloppy from both sides. A lot of penalties. Good win for the new head coach. Dickson definitely had opportunities to win the game but good job by Columbia defense bending and not breaking. Columbia needs to get better or they will struggle in district. Just based off watching last night Columbia will be battling for the 4th spot in their district. Just my prediction is if columbia doesn't clean up their penalties and not be predictable on offense they will not make the playoffs. I hope they do for the new head coach but it will be tough for them.  

It was a sloppy game but glad for coach sharp and the lions for getting the win. Columbia will need to improve a lot in order to compete with Nolensville and page this year. Not sure how good the other teams are in district but I know those two are the best in the district. If columbia doesn’t get better from what I saw it will be a long year for them but hope they improve from this game. 

6 hours ago, TheEaglesNest said:

If that happens, expect a change to the teams in the regions.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:04 PM, Pizzpatriot2 said:

If that happens, expect a change to the teams in the regions.

I don’t see columbia beating page or Nolensville. I think those two are really good teams and will battle for first and second. That game will be a good game IMO. Franklin county seems to be much improved  and I don’t know much about Lincoln this year but right now watching both Spring Hill and columbia this past week that game could be a close game at the end of the year. 

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, MidStateFan1 said:

Seriously.......What is going on here

Columbia is in 5A but had been in 6A. Could not compete at that level (6A) but was moved down to where they should be last year in 5A. Had a coaching change before last season and had a decent to good year with an interim head coach.

Went and got a well established coach with connections in the T$$AA. Next they will be moved out of our region to a weak one and then begin to schedule teams like Collinwood and Community and Cornersville. They will have winning seasons but not advance far into the playoffs. 

This is seriously what it is.

On 9/20/2022 at 9:32 PM, Paleghost44 said:

Sharp has been done for years, even when at Lewis Co. Columbia should have kept John Moore.

Still don't think he was the answer for Head coaching job. They did have a good year after all that happened but had a good group of seniors. Now that the seniors are gone they are struggling. Moore is still calling the offense from what I've heard so that hasn't changed. The game I saw looked like Columbia needs another year and they should be better but right now they don't play great. If Mt. Pleasant beats them then that will send Columbia in a big talespin for the rest of the year. I don't think Mt. Pleasant can but I haven't seen them play so can't make that assumption but really columbia should have more depth and speed then they have.