CLINTON @ WILLIAM BLOUNT Aug 20th

92Dragon

42 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Still a good win for a team that won 1 game all of last season alone. I give them credit where due.

What I find very interesting is that you give Clinton "credit where due" for beating a traditionally weak team, you bash your own OR team for barely losing to a very good team, and you even bash OR for not being good enough last year. Are you a dragon or a Wildcat?  As I said on the other thread, bash the OR coaches all you want, sometimes they need it and it makes us feel better to bash them. I just find it odd that you choose to publicly praise the Clinton for beating a bad team, bash the OR coaches for losing to a good team, and then even bash them for an 11-4 season that ended in the championship game. 

2 hours ago, bonkers said:

What I find very interesting is that you give Clinton "credit where due" for beating a traditionally weak team, you bash your own OR team for barely losing to a very good team, and you even bash OR for not being good enough last year. Are you a dragon or a Wildcat?  As I said on the other thread, bash the OR coaches all you want, sometimes they need it and it makes us feel better to bash them. I just find it odd that you choose to publicly praise the Clinton for beating a bad team, bash the OR coaches for losing to a good team, and then even bash them for an 11-4 season that ended in the championship game. 

We’re used to winning, they aren’t is why. I expect way more out of us, obviously. I admit I go a little overboard at times, but that’s because I have 40 some odd years invested in the program, so it’s a little more personal, of course. And no, I’m not a Clinton fan, I can just congratulate a teams fans that have struggled tremendously the past 10 or so years to win 2-3 games a year without my pride getting in the way. At the end of the day, it’s a game being played by kids. I shouldn’t even have to explain myself to you, to be honest, but I chose to anyway. “Are you a Clinton fan or Oak Ridge fan?” Seriously, Coach? :rolleyes: Oh, and BTW, where did I ever “bash” the coaches for last year’s great season? The only thing I’ve ever said about last year’s squad is that they couldn’t run block, which they couldn’t. So, with that said, the coaches did a heck of a job to even get us there if you take the mediocre run blocking into account. Sorry, but they couldn’t run block last year. That’s just the honest to God’s truth. Not sure why it’s so controversial to admit that. 92 has gotten on OR threads plenty of times and given credit to us when we’ve done good. Does that make him an OR fan? Of course not, he’s probably the biggest Clinton fan on here. Stop being so melodramatic, Coach.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TornadoLeadRecruiter said:

My point was historically WB has not done well. They had a couple really good coaches around 2004-2007 Reed/Meadows and both left. Why do you think they left? Players leaving?

Don’t get me wrong. Some of the things you bring up should not happen and those things seem to lead to bad coaching. Didn’t 2 guys from South Doyle come over? Surely they know what they’re doing. Right??

What is your motivation for asking these questions and making these points???? First of all, WB was at least 5-5 or better in the regular season almost every year from 1997 to 2007 with the exception of a year or two. That's a decade of decent to good teams. WB also had some success in the early 90s too.  So your insinuations that WB can't have success in football are flat out false and BS.

Meadows left because he had success here and was offered a head coaching job at Knox Catholic. They were offering a lot more money, but surely I don't have to explain all that to you. 

Also, do you think every coach from every good program is good by default???? Of course not. Just look at Nick Saban's coaching tree. Pruitt was probably the worst coach in UT history and he seemingly had the right pedigree when they hired him.

Like I said, I don't know what your motivations are, but I'm just telling you how I see it. I don't expect winning seasons every year, but I expect to see a well-coached team that knows how to block and tackle and do the basic stuff that you need to do to be competitive in 6A football. I have watched almost every WB football game in the past decade plus and we haven't been well coached since Meadows left. Period.

Let me ask you a question since you are such an expert. WB has the right size boys to push people around upfront, but we always lose the line of scrimmage. Why do you think that is? We have 1900 students and usually have 70+ players, but other schools that are smaller put players on the field that can push us around. Again, why is that? Do you think those other schools have big boys that are just inherently better football players every year? Or do those schools just have good coaches that can teach and develop their players better than ours can? I'm leaning towards the latter. Talent isn't everything. If it was, Alcoa would beat Maryville almost every year, but they don't. Just saying.

Edited by TheGreatWallofAlnwick

3 hours ago, bonkers said:

This dude loves defend coaches. Goes on an exaggerated "slamming spree". 

You will find very few that love the Cats more than Sweet.  What did you ever do for the program?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SweetScience said:

We’re used to winning, they aren’t is why. I expect way more out of us, obviously. I admit I go a little overboard at times, but that’s because I have 40 some odd years invested in the program, so it’s a little more personal, of course. And no, I’m not a Clinton fan, I can just congratulate a teams fans that have struggled tremendously the past 10 or so years to win 2-3 games a year without my pride getting in the way. At the end of the day, it’s a game being played by kids. I shouldn’t even have to explain myself to you, to be honest, but I chose to anyway. “Are you a Clinton fan or Oak Ridge fan?” Seriously, Coach? :rolleyes: Oh, and BTW, where did I ever “bash” the coaches for last year’s great season? The only thing I’ve ever said about last year’s squad is that they couldn’t run block, which they couldn’t. So, with that said, the coaches did a heck of a job to even get us there if you take the mediocre run blocking into account. Sorry, but they couldn’t run block last year. That’s just the honest to God’s truth. Not sure why it’s so controversial to admit that. 92 has gotten on OR threads plenty of times and given credit to us when we’ve done good. Does that make him an OR fan? Of course not, he’s probably the biggest Clinton fan on here. Stop being so melodramatic, Coach.

Dude, he simply lies a lot to seem big. I think it's day drinking or maybe just the new bladerunner.

50 minutes ago, TheGreatWallofAlnwick said:

What is your motivation for asking these questions and making these points???? First of all, WB was at least 5-5 or better in the regular season almost every year from 1997 to 2007 with the exception of a year or two. That's a decade of decent to good teams. WB also had some success in the early 90s too.  So your insinuations that WB can't have success in football are flat out false and BS.

Meadows left because he had success here and was offered a head coaching job at Knox Catholic. They were offering a lot more money, but surely I don't have to explain all that to you. 

Also, do you think every coach from every good program is good by default???? Of course not. Just look at Nick Saban's coaching tree. Pruitt was probably the worst coach in UT history and he seemingly had the right pedigree when they hired him.

Like I said, I don't know what your motivations are, but I'm just telling you how I see it. I don't expect winning seasons every year, but I expect to see a well-coached team that knows how to block and tackle and do the basic stuff that you need to do to be competitive in 6A football. I have watched almost every WB football game in the past decade plus and we haven't been well coached since Meadows left. Period.

Let me ask you a question since you are such an expert. WB has the right size boys to push people around upfront, but we always lose the line of scrimmage. Why do you think that is? We have 1900 students and usually have 70+ players, but other schools that are smaller put players on the field that can push us around. Again, why is that? Do you think those other schools have big boys that are just inherently better football players every year? Or do those schools just have good coaches that can teach and develop their players better than ours can? I'm leaning towards the latter. Talent isn't everything. If it was, Alcoa would beat Maryville almost every year, but they don't. Just saying.

Well since you say I’m an expert I’ll say great coaches can get players to perform above their level a lot of times by having them mentally ready to beat the other team by - if anything being in the right place all the time. But to win at the highest level you must have the Jimmy’s and Joe’s along with decent coaching. To be the best you need Great coaches and great players. You understand this I’m sure. Oh  I could have coach Alcoa the last 4yrs and probably won the same games because they were much better athletes than every team they played. 
all I was asking you is over the last 30yrs with 1800-2000 students why William Blount hasn’t been at least to the 3rd of the playoffs a few times. 

your Alcoa comment is not correct and needs things added like how many of those great players were playing both ways when maryville had none going both ways. Also Murval always has talent. Maybe not power 5 talent of certain kids certain yrs from Alcoa but they always have collegiate level guys and Depth. So what you said isn’t true. I will give you last yr though. Alcoa was deep and loaded with talent but got beat  

I wanted your opinion on William Blount because I can’t quite figure it out. that’s all

1 hour ago, TornadoLeadRecruiter said:

Well since you say I’m an expert I’ll say great coaches can get players to perform above their level a lot of times by having them mentally ready to beat the other team by - if anything being in the right place all the time. But to win at the highest level you must have the Jimmy’s and Joe’s along with decent coaching. To be the best you need Great coaches and great players. You understand this I’m sure. Oh  I could have coach Alcoa the last 4yrs and probably won the same games because they were much better athletes than every team they played. 
all I was asking you is over the last 30yrs with 1800-2000 students why William Blount hasn’t been at least to the 3rd of the playoffs a few times. 

your Alcoa comment is not correct and needs things added like how many of those great players were playing both ways when maryville had none going both ways. Also Murval always has talent. Maybe not power 5 talent of certain kids certain yrs from Alcoa but they always have collegiate level guys and Depth. So what you said isn’t true. I will give you last yr though. Alcoa was deep and loaded with talent but got beat  

I wanted your opinion on William Blount because I can’t quite figure it out. that’s all

What's hard to figure out? There is a lot of apathy hanging over the program. That should be obvious. Nobody is committed to winning down there at WB. That's why I have folks telling me I can't overreact over one bad game. It's not about just one bad game. This is game one of year #7. Lol, get out of here with that nonsense. We still can't block and tackle and it looks like our feeder program is on the decline too. It's obvious something is not working here. Like I have already said, we get beat by everyone upfront. Last year we weren't even able to dominate Oliver Springs - a 1A team - at the line of scrimmage. They were able to run the ball down our throats, but luckily they fumbled themselves right out of the ballgame. That kind of line play ain't getting it done in 6A ball. It doesn't matter how good your skill players are when they don't have a chance to succeed because they don't have any blocking.  I went to the Central/Greeneville game on Saturday night and thought Greeneville's back was very similar to the tailback that started at WB in 2019 as a freshman. I believe the Greeneville back's name was Dugger. He looked very similar to the kid who transferred to Greenback, and he looked like a stud against a good team like Central. He ran all over them. That's what is possible at WB if we actually had a good strength and conditioning program and good line coaching. Line play is everything. You have to be mean and nasty upfront and we are soft as Charmin on the line. If you think I'm exaggerating, get a load of this. In the second half we had a chance to get back in the Clinton game, but we turned the ball over on downs because we couldn't gain six inches. We have a 6'2" QB. That's how soft we are upfront. There's no push at all.

Edited by TheGreatWallofAlnwick
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TheGreatWallofAlnwick said:

What's hard to figure out? There is a lot of apathy hanging over the program. That should be obvious. Nobody is committed to winning down there at WB. That's why I have folks telling me I can't overreact over one bad game. It's not about just one bad game. This is game one of year #7. Lol, get out of here with that nonsense. We still can't block and tackle and it looks like our feeder program is on the decline too. It's obvious something is not working here. Like I have already said, we get beat by everyone upfront. Last year we weren't even able to dominate Oliver Springs - a 1A team - at the line of scrimmage. They were able to run the ball down our throats, but luckily they fumbled themselves right out of the ballgame. That kind of line play ain't getting it done in 6A ball. It doesn't matter how good your skill players are when they don't have a chance to succeed because they don't have any blocking.  I went to the Central/Greeneville game on Saturday night and thought Greeneville's back was very similar to the tailback that started at WB in 2019 as a freshman. I believe the Greeneville back's name was Dugger. He looked very similar to the kid who transferred to Greenback, and he looked like a stud against a good team like Central. He ran all over them. That's what is possible at WB if we actually had a good strength and conditioning program and good line coaching. Line play is everything. You have to be mean and nasty upfront and we are soft as Charmin on the line. If you think I'm exaggerating, get a load of this. In the second half we had a chance to get back in the Clinton game, but we turned the ball over on downs because we couldn't gain six inches. We have a 6'2" QB. That's how soft we are upfront. There's no push at all.

All your points are spot on.Your Coaching sux.A fewon here have pointed that out.You are a good fan and try to see the best but your Coach keeps screwing you without the decency of a kiss first.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1