CLINTON @ WILLIAM BLOUNT Aug 20th

92Dragon

I don't know anything about Clinton's team this year, but I know y'all are capable of having a good team. I'm also aware that WB seems to have terrible luck when it comes to scheduling non-region opponents (I.E. Anderson County bounced back and was one of the best teams in 4A when we played them). And another example of this is Morristown East flipping the script from 1-9 to 9-1 when we played them in 2013. 

The Govs seem to have some hype coming into this season. We have a pretty good qb, a few nice skill players, a really good kicker, and (allegedly) a big nasty line that can push defenses down field. We also have added some well-respected coaches on both sides of the ball.

From what I gather, most people seem to think the Govs should have a winning record - as our schedule is more favorable than any schedule I've seen since I have followed WB football - and we have a talented and experienced team. Some people think we could even challenge for the top spot in Region 1 6A. I'm personally not going that far, but I think we have a good shot at having our first winning season since '07. 

Having said all that, I'm feeling a little less optimistic after hearing that we got blanked by Bearden in a scrimmage last night and turned the ball over 4 times in the process. That ain't gonna get it done in 6A football.

The first game against Clinton will give us a good idea of how this season will go. If we come out and get in a sloppy battle of the cellar dwellers than we'll be in trouble and staring down another losing season even if we come out winners in that scenario. In my opinion, the Govs should win this game if we have any hope of having a winning record and being a factor in our region. 

Edited by TheGreatWallofAlnwick
  • Like 1

Clinton looked pretty good against Morristown East and then not so good against CAK.  It's hard to get a good read on this team just watching them in scrimmages. 

I believe Clinton has the pieces in place to be a much improved team this year.  I would think our strengths would be on offense and our weakness would definitely be the kicking game. I haven't been impressed with punting or PAT's at all to this point. 

Can't really tell about kickoff and punt returns just yet because they have been non existent so far in scrimmages.

I'd have to say WB has the edge going into this first game. WB played some really tough teams last year and won at least 4 games if I remember correctly?

Clinton has the pieces to compete, but I always wonder about their mindset. If something goes wrong, will they be able to bounce back or will it be a domino effect?

I know either way, I'm excited and ready to get this season started! 

Are there any good places to eat on the way to the school that anyone recommends? Or just wait and grab something at the concessions? 

Can't wait!! See you guys in a couple of weeks!!  

8 hours ago, TheGreatWallofAlnwick said:

I don't know anything about Clinton's team this year, but I know y'all are capable of having a good team. I'm also aware that WB seems to have terrible luck when it comes to scheduling non-region opponents (I.E. Anderson County bounced back and was one of the best teams in 4A when we played them). And another example of this is Morristown East flipping the script from 1-9 to 9-1 when we played them in 2013. 

The Govs seem to have some hype coming into this season. We have a pretty good qb, a few nice skill players, a really good kicker, and (allegedly) a big nasty line that can push defenses down field. We also have added some well-respected coaches on both sides of the ball.

From what I gather, most people seem to think the Govs should have a winning record - as our schedule is more favorable than any schedule I've seen since I have followed WB football - and we have a talented and experienced team. Some people think we could even challenge for the top spot in Region 1 6A. I'm personally not going that far, but I think we have a good shot at having our first winning season since '07. 

Having said all that, I'm feeling a little less optimistic after hearing that we got blanked by Bearden in a scrimmage last night and turned the ball over 4 times in the process. That ain't gonna get it done in 6A football.

The first game against Clinton will give us a good idea of how this season will go. If we come out and get in a sloppy battle of the cellar dwellers than we'll be in trouble and staring down another losing season even if we come out winners in that scenario. In my opinion, the Govs should win this game if we have any hope of having a winning record and being a factor in our region. 

WB should win this game setting the tone for the first winning season in some while.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 92Dragon said:

Clinton looked pretty good against Morristown East and then not so good against CAK.  It's hard to get a good read on this team just watching them in scrimmages. 

I believe Clinton has the pieces in place to be a much improved team this year.  I would think our strengths would be on offense and our weakness would definitely be the kicking game. I haven't been impressed with punting or PAT's at all to this point. 

Can't really tell about kickoff and punt returns just yet because they have been non existent so far in scrimmages.

I'd have to say WB has the edge going into this first game. WB played some really tough teams last year and won at least 4 games if I remember correctly?

Clinton has the pieces to compete, but I always wonder about their mindset. If something goes wrong, will they be able to bounce back or will it be a domino effect?

Are there any good places to eat on the way to the school that anyone recommends? Or just wait and grab something at the concessions? 

Yes. There is a gas station called Woody's nearby that has really good hot dogs. There is also a popular restaurant called Windy City Grille on 411 near William Blount Drive. Visitors also enjoy our concession stand as well.

Edited by TheGreatWallofAlnwick

6 hours ago, TheGreatWallofAlnwick said:

Yes. There is a gas station called Woody's nearby that has really good hot dogs. There is also a popular restaurant called Windy City Grille on 411 near William Blount Drive. Visitors also enjoy our concession stand as well.

Thank you! I love a good chili dog. 

18 hours ago, 92Dragon said:

If I remember correctly, they used to grill some killer burgers on the grill for the concession stand..  It's been a

while since we been up there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

If I remember correctly, they used to grill some killer burgers on the grill for the concession stand..  It's been a

while since we been up there.

Yeah, instead of stopping somewhere, I'll probably just roll the dice on the ole concession stand. It's been a long time since I've been to William Blount myself.