Humboldt 2021

lakecounty1968

6 hours ago, Tide21 said:

Last I heard they were still trying to find games 

as long as they let the Humboldt basketball coach not letting his players play football...Humboldt fb will be 1-9....2-8 every year...it's a shame...Humboldt fb used to be very good...with a school as small as they are you need the athletes to play both sports....

The team with the second longest winning streak in West Tennessee (I think that's the case) will pack their bags and head to Franklin tomorrow to take on Grace Christian. I do believe Humboldt and Teddy Pettigrew can bring in stability in that program. I believe the game for them against Bruceton will be a measuring stick to determine where this team currently stands. I do hear that the "only play one sport" thing that Humboldt wanted to implement is done. I think they're allowing athletes to play two sports now. With that being said, the Humboldt school system needs to Pettigrew a chance to succeed. Right now, it's 2021 and they have 2005 facilities. Major renovations (stadium, concession stand, and field house) all need to take place at Humboldt. If that happens, then Humboldt has the foundation to win successfully at 1A. 

Regarding to Humboldt's schedule, I did noticed the games against Gleason, Fulton County (KY), and South Fulton are no longer on their schedule. They put Riverside, Lausanne, and Peabody (district game) on the schedule. So with a team that is in a full-blown rebuild, the Vikings schedule is not easy.  With that being said, they should have some wins on the schedule because they're a 1A team.

• 2 weeks later...

So Humboldt put an end of Bruceton's 9 game regular season streak by allowing fewer then 20 points. Based off offensive production, I would imagine the Vikings are favored next week against West Carroll. They're also winners of 4 of their last 6 dating back to last year. The 19 point victory to Bruceton is somewhat of a surprised to me.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

So Humboldt put an end of Bruceton's 9 game regular season streak by allowing fewer then 20 points. Based off offensive production, I would imagine the Vikings are favored next week against West Carroll. They're also winners of 4 of their last 6 dating back to last year. The 19 point victory to Bruceton is somewhat of a surprised to me.

Yes west carroll isn’t good. If you listen to their #1 fan though he would have you believe they the best team in the region. 

Humboldt will be OK, they have a lot of 9th & 10th graders playing right now and won game against Bruceton but had a lot of penalties. Also, three (3) starters on offensive line didn’t play so Coach Pettigrew is trying to instill discipline with the team on & off the field. All I’m going to say is that if Coach Pettigrew can keep this team improving they have a lot of talent coming from middle school. I predict the Vikings will get five (5) wins this year!  The first game against Grace was actually closer then the score, Grace returned three (3) turnovers for TD’s. Humboldt had to many mistakes that game & still had over 545 total yards on offense & could have won. 

23 minutes ago, 87vikingalumni said:

Humboldt will be OK, they have a lot of 9th & 10th graders playing right now and won game against Bruceton but had a lot of penalties. Also, three (3) starters on offensive line didn’t play so Coach Pettigrew is trying to instill discipline with the team on & off the field. All I’m going to say is that if Coach Pettigrew can keep this team improving they have a lot of talent coming from middle school. I predict the Vikings will get five (5) wins this year!  The first game against Grace was actually closer then the score, Grace returned three (3) turnovers for TD’s. Humboldt had to many mistakes that game & still had over 545 total yards on offense & could have won. 

Good to see maybe things are going in the right direction for their program. Milan and Humboldt used to have some good rivalry games.

28 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I miss that rivalry. 

Yes, those were some great games back in the day, I remember playing in those games from 1984-87 and it use to be standing room only, people standing around the track in Humboldt! I became close friends with Earnest Fields & we actually went on a recruiting trip to UT for weekend. Earnest & Kacy signed with UT and I took a basketball scholarship instead of playing football which I regret to this day! Hopefully, Humboldt & Milan can get that rivalry back one day but Humboldt has to build program back to the way it was in the ole days were Humboldt was considered one of the best programs in West Tn & produced some of the Great tailbacks. 

1 hour ago, 87vikingalumni said:

Yes, those were some great games back in the day, I remember playing in those games from 1984-87 and it use to be standing room only, people standing around the track in Humboldt! I became close friends with Earnest Fields & we actually went on a recruiting trip to UT for weekend. Earnest & Kacy signed with UT and I took a basketball scholarship instead of playing football which I regret to this day! Hopefully, Humboldt & Milan can get that rivalry back one day but Humboldt has to build program back to the way it was in the ole days were Humboldt was considered one of the best programs in West Tn & produced some of the Great tailbacks. 

I remember as a kid my family telling me how bigtime those games were I wish I was old enough to see them…87vikingalumni? You graduated humboldt in 1987? 

16 minutes ago, Kiddmaximus said:

I remember as a kid my family telling me how bigtime those games were I wish I was old enough to see them…87vikingalumni? You graduated humboldt in 1987? 

Yes, unfortunately I lost all three (3) years to Milan, lost a tough one in 85. 14-13 on a controversial call on 1 yard line were Milan tailback tried to dive over top & fumble ball in mid air & I caught it and was going the other way & referee called a touchdown. That still hurts till this day, lol!! 

• Upvote 1