Oneida vs Oliver Springs

Spike016

4 hours ago, crow said:

Scott was a consolidation of numerous smaller high schools in the county in 1971 I believe. They initially played but apparently it became quite heated and some pretty bad situations developed both on and off the field. It was a very heated rivalry with one side feelings like the step child claiming the other thought they were better than the them and that one always got more resources than the they did. Then it turned for some into a jealousy issue due to success vs lack there of. It was decided to not play because of the tension surrounding the games to let things cool off. Well it must’ve been really hot because 41 years and it still isn’t happening. I have personally talked to those in the county system that have such jealousy and hatred for Oneida it’s actually disturbing to hear them speak, I’m talking teachers and coaches now. I’ve also talked to the same type of folks at Oneida that want nothing to do with the game because of the “way it was”. They play regularly in basketball for the last 4-5 years with no issues. The kids hang out with each other now days. They’re all friends in life and on social media. The junior high schools play each other. It’s the old heads that can’t let go of over 4 decades ago that are stopping this from happening and it’s an absolute embarrassment. 

I worked with a guy that played football for Scott County back in the early 90's and he still talks about hating Oneida. So yeah, I can see where the older people are still holding on to that hatred.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, crow said:

To be fair there were cars being burned in the parking lot way back then so a break probably wasn’t a bad idea but I think 41 years is long enough lol. 

We've had beatings and stabbings but we never stopped playing hampton.  Now the basketball rivalry between hampton and unaka took a pretty dark turn back in the mid 00's but i reckon they kept playing

44 minutes ago, THE KING said:

We've had beatings and stabbings but we never stopped playing hampton.  Now the basketball rivalry between hampton and unaka took a pretty dark turn back in the mid 00's but i reckon they kept playing

Yeah but y’all have those things happening at Sadie Hawkins dances and church homecomings up in your parts so a ball game it’s just natural :roflol:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 92Dragon said:

I worked with a guy that played football for Scott County back in the early 90's and he still talks about hating Oneida. So yeah, I can see where the older people are still holding on to that hatred.

Never understood the hatred myself. It’s almost completely one sided. I’m not sure if it’s jealousy or what but it just isn’t there from both sides from what I’ve saw. I’ve literally heard applause at Scott high games when the announcer very happily calls out a score of an Oneida game they’re losing and I’ve heard Oneida crowds cheer for a Scott county score update where Scott is winning. For the most part Scott high isn’t really discussed around the field or court of an Oneida game but at Scott the fans constantly compare scores of common opponents and run down Oneida. Not all of course. Not even a majority of Scott fans but it’s not hard to find either. Wish it wasn’t that way but it is. Everyone knows I think they should play. Don’t reckon it matters at all though lol. 

22 minutes ago, crow said:

Yeah but y’all have those things happening at Sadie Hawkins dances and church homecomings up in your parts so a ball game it’s just natural :roflol:

Used to be a LOT rougher, people have tamed down a little over the years, used to be a big fight about every weekend. Most of those people are dead and gone.

19 minutes ago, pujo said:

Used to be a LOT rougher, people have tamed down a little over the years, used to be a big fight about every weekend. Most of those people are dead and gone.

Same way here. Used to be a ROUGH part of the country. I’d imagine really similar to up your way back in the day. Most of that era is over now but there’s still an occasional disappearance that nobody ever figured out in these mountains. I know you know what I’m talking about lol. 

44 minutes ago, crow said:

Same way here. Used to be a ROUGH part of the country. I’d imagine really similar to up your way back in the day. Most of that era is over now but there’s still an occasional disappearance that nobody ever figured out in these mountains. I know you know what I’m talking about lol. 

Went from Moonshine To meth.

43 minutes ago, pujo said:

Went from Moonshine To meth.

Yep. We were way better off the other way. Meth is bad but honestly illegal Rx drugs are killing a bunch more than anything else. Just as a paramedic, police officer or ER nurse. 

Edited by crow

5 hours ago, crow said:

Never understood the hatred myself. It’s almost completely one sided. I’m not sure if it’s jealousy or what but it just isn’t there from both sides from what I’ve saw. I’ve literally heard applause at Scott high games when the announcer very happily calls out a score of an Oneida game they’re losing and I’ve heard Oneida crowds cheer for a Scott county score update where Scott is winning. For the most part Scott high isn’t really discussed around the field or court of an Oneida game but at Scott the fans constantly compare scores of common opponents and run down Oneida. Not all of course. Not even a majority of Scott fans but it’s not hard to find either. Wish it wasn’t that way but it is. Everyone knows I think they should play. Don’t reckon it matters at all though lol. 

Crow what kind of mess is this? That Griffith man that is the superintendent here would not block the game.  He is a doctor and he is real smart.  You think im joking but im not.