Haywood vs. Melrose for Homecoming

reddyrebel6

The Haywood Tomcats (4-0) entertain Melrose (2-2) out of Memphis. Melrose has a couple stud running backs led by Tank  Briggs and a decent offense. Their secondary play is also really good. Their line play is suspect and special teams play also an issue. They also play a lot of guys both ways. Haywood should have the advantage. What say you?

Edited by reddyrebel6
mis spell

Tennessee high school football statewide Associated Press rankings entering Week 6
Class 4A

School                                     Rec        Pts        Prv

1. Greeneville (15)                    5-0        168        1
2. Tullahoma                             5-0        141        2
3. Pearl-Cohn (2)                      5-0        135        3
4. Elizabethton                          3-1        116        4
5. Haywood                               4-0        101        6
6. Hardin County                      5-0          84        7  
7. Montgomery Central            5-0          54        8
8. Marshall County                   4-1          44        9
9. South-Doyle                         4-1          38        5
10. Upperman                          4-1          32      10

Others receiving votes: East Hamilton 16. Anderson County 6.

53 minutes ago, stacmot said:

Tennessee high school football statewide Associated Press rankings entering Week 6
Class 4A

School                                     Rec        Pts        Prv

1. Greeneville (15)                    5-0        168        1
2. Tullahoma                             5-0        141        2
3. Pearl-Cohn (2)                      5-0        135        3
4. Elizabethton                          3-1        116        4
5. Haywood                               4-0        101        6
6. Hardin County                      5-0          84        7  
7. Montgomery Central            5-0          54        8
8. Marshall County                   4-1          44        9
9. South-Doyle                         4-1          38        5
10. Upperman                          4-1          32      10

Others receiving votes: East Hamilton 16. Anderson County 6.

You guys and Hardin Co. are having to carry the banner for all of West Tennessee.

BTW, when Covington has played Melrose lately, we found that they are not the powerhouse Melrose football team that they once were. They still can put a few athletes on the field, though. I recall a kickoff return for a TD against us once at their place. And, Melrose has artificial turf, which Haywood and Covington are just now trying to get.

This will be the third meeting between the Golden Wildcats and the Tomcats.  The two previous meetings were TSSAA playoff games.  In 1999 Haywood defeated Melrose by a score of 19-18 (second round).  In 2003 Melrose defeated Haywood by a score of 57-7 (first round).

Cedric Wilson (Melrose) and Chris Smith (Haywood) are in their third season as head coach at their respective schools.  Counting Covid wins and loses, Wilson's record is currently 8-8.  Smith's record is currently  26-6.

Melrose (2-2) is averaging 29.5 points per game while giving up an average.of 23.5.  Melrose's opponents have a combined record of  11 wins and 8 loses.

Haywood (4-0) is averaging 39.8 points per game while giving up an average of 5.3.  Haywood's opponents have a combined record of 4 wins and 15 loses.

Based on opponents' wins and loses, it may look like Melrose has played a stronger schedule.
I don't think that matters.  I believe the Tomcats are at the least three touchdowns better than the Wildcats.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

You guys and Hardin Co. are having to carry the banner for all of West Tennessee.

BTW, when Covington has played Melrose lately, we found that they are not the powerhouse Melrose football team that they once were. They still can put a few athletes on the field, though. I recall a kickoff return for a TD against us once at their place. And, Melrose has artificial turf, which Haywood and Covington are just now trying to get.

That 57-7 beating was embarrassing, and the Melrose crowd wasn't friendly...they rubbed it in.  I know they haven't been as strong as in the past, but you can't take anything for granted!  Are y'all open this week?

10 hours ago, stacmot said:

That 57-7 beating was embarrassing, and the Melrose crowd wasn't friendly...they rubbed it in.  I know they haven't been as strong as in the past, but you can't take anything for granted!  Are y'all open this week?

Yeah, and I have a Byars-Hall High reunion scheduled Friday nite, so won’t get a dose of high school football this week. Good luck to the Tomcats.

Edited by CHARGERFAN