Emory Road Rivalry - Halls @ Powell

osunut2

1 minute ago, FilmCzar said:

Yes, I would imagine that the toughest thing about play design there is making sure that every guy gets enough touches. A good problem to have tho, I suppose. I would like to see them simplify the scheme in the passing game and get the ball on the perimeter quicker to these guys. I agree that bubbles, smokes, jets, would get that to happen in a cheap way while also not adjusting a lot of what the big boys are doing up front. Trying to generate outside the box ways to get guys cheap touches will keep the QB from sitting in the pocket and carrying the football so much. With the way he runs (totally fearless) he worries me a ton! Great kid, great family!  Nonetheless, they could run the same four plays and probably score every other series with the talent they have alone so I guess it doesn't REALLY matter. Maybe in November.

Clinton and Halls both showed defensive looks against Potts that concerned me. In both of those games, there didn't appear to be any adjustment to that 2-3 deep zone look that frustrated Potts. There was a lot of room underneath that Powell didn't take advantage of (Halls did a better job of taking some of that away with their active LBs), but it just seemed like they kept looking for nothing but chunk plays. Sometimes you have to hit your check down or that 5 yard out route and live to fight another day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Clinton and Halls both showed defensive looks against Potts that concerned me. In both of those games, there didn't appear to be any adjustment to that 2-3 deep zone look that frustrated Potts. There was a lot of room underneath that Powell didn't take advantage of (Halls did a better job of taking some of that away with their active LBs), but it just seemed like they kept looking for nothing but chunk plays. Sometimes you have to hit your check down or that 5 yard out route and live to fight another day.

Could not agree more, look forward to tonight, OSU! Go Panthers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HTV said:

That wasn't for recruiting. It was for playing a player who didn't live in the zone and didn't sit out his required 12 months.  Somebody screwed up and Powell paid the price for it. That mistake hasn't need made again.  

And, yes.  Every school plays in the margins.  Some are simply doing it better than others right now.  Don't be a hypocrite.  

The alleged incident you referenced from a couple of years ago was investigated by the TSSAA and found to be without credibility. 

OK, again, specifics on recruiting improprieties or stop whining. 

And Powell is very much a different school than even when my kids were there 15 years ago.  Knox County redrawing the zones made it so, just as they did other zones, too.  

"Somebody screwed up and Powell paid the price for it" how about some accountability and responsibility? It sounds like the Powell High School Football Staff, more specifically Matthew Lowe, screwed up. It is his responsibility to ensure the players he puts on the field are eligible to play football according to T$$AA bylaws. 

How do you not see this post as you defending Powell? Again, I go back to my previous claim... it's because you are totally unreasonable. :thumb:

Edited by FilmCzar

1 hour ago, FilmCzar said:

"Somebody screwed up and Powell paid the price for it" how about some accountability and responsibility? It sounds like the Powell High School Football Staff, more specifically Matthew Lowe, screwed up. It is his responsibility to ensure the players he puts on the field are eligible to play football according to T$$AA bylaws. 

How do you not see this post as you defending Powell? Again, I go back to my previous claim... it's because you are totally unreasonable. :thumb:

How is that a defense?  Are you incapable of basic reading comprehension?  I said that Powell screwed up.  By any definition that's not defending, but rather a confirmation that somebody messed up. 

And actually a school administrator has to sign off on the eligibility report. That's where tje buck stops. 

You don’t like Matt Lowe.  I get it.  You probably need to get in line on that one.  

Get a new act.  This one is old and tired. 

On 10/1/2021 at 3:09 PM, HTV said:

How is that a defense?  Are you incapable of basic reading comprehension?  I said that Powell screwed up.  By any definition that's not defending, but rather a confirmation that somebody messed up. 

And actually a school administrator has to sign off on the eligibility report. That's where tje buck stops. 

You don’t like Matt Lowe.  I get it.  You probably need to get in line on that one.  

Get a new act.  This one is old and tired. 

HTV, what is your obsession with Powell? Did you even go there?

Comparing Lamar and Scott as coaches is really splitting hairs.  Both are great coaches.  Coaching ability is really more of a qualitative measurement rather than quantitative, as your not always comparing apples to apples, so looking  at specific statistics really isn't the best approach.  

For example, you kept bringing up their lifetime winning percentages.  Scott's would be skewed for the region he played in for the early to mid 2000s.  I still believe was the toughest region I have ever seen in east TN.  HTV likely knows what I am referring to.  That old Region 2 4A had Maryville- averaging about 1 loss every 5 years andCentral- who I believe was clearly the 2nd best team ins 4A when you compare scores with Maryville.  It also had Powell who was producing D1 kids at an unprecedented rate that was competing with both of those teams.  Scott was building up West at the time, ironically battling with Halls most years just to make the playoffs.  So a 7-3 record during that time  frame I believe carries a little more weight than most other 7-3 seasons.  And whoever said Halls doesn't have pressure to win clearly has never been to north Knox County.  Before the Julian era they were very competitive, Overton built them back up and had a couple of solid teams before he moved to administration. They were on the rise before a Cleveland guy stopped in the crossroads for a cup of coffee, and Scott's been working hard to fix that damage since

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

Comparing Lamar and Scott as coaches is really splitting hairs.  Both are great coaches.  Coaching ability is really more of a qualitative measurement rather than quantitative, as your not always comparing apples to apples, so looking  at specific statistics really isn't the best approach.  

For example, you kept bringing up their lifetime winning percentages.  Scott's would be skewed for the region he played in for the early to mid 2000s.  I still believe was the toughest region I have ever seen in east TN.  HTV likely knows what I am referring to.  That old Region 2 4A had Maryville- averaging about 1 loss every 5 years andCentral- who I believe was clearly the 2nd best team ins 4A when you compare scores with Maryville.  It also had Powell who was producing D1 kids at an unprecedented rate that was competing with both of those teams.  Scott was building up West at the time, ironically battling with Halls most years just to make the playoffs.  So a 7-3 record during that time  frame I believe carries a little more weight than most other 7-3 seasons.  And whoever said Halls doesn't have pressure to win clearly has never been to north Knox County.  Before the Julian era they were very competitive, Overton built them back up and had a couple of solid teams before he moved to administration. They were on the rise before a Cleveland guy stopped in the crossroads for a cup of coffee, and Scott's been working hard to fix that damage since

I remember the old 4A days before the reclassification and I couldn't agree more. Scott had to take some licks early before moving into 5A and Maryville moved into 6A. Was tough to win playoff games in 4A when you were playing Maryville early in the playoffs. That 2007 West team was absolutely loaded! You can go back and look at the records. He went from winning 4-6 games a year to all of a sudden winning 11 in back to back years (2010 & 2011) only to be stopped in the semi-finals to eventual state champ in 2010 and state runner-up in 2011. HTV will remember that game vs the mighty panthers (McPhetridge and Mobley). Because of the foundation that Scott built, any coach worth his salt (excluding the years that the guy from Loudon tried to run in off the tracks) will be able to have great sustained success there. Just a total slew of athletes every year. 

Edited by FilmCzar

1 minute ago, osunut2 said:

HTV's kids went to school there, and he spent a number of years calling their games on the radio. I worked in the pressbox with him for a number of seasons.

Thanks, OSU. I appreciate the information. I was just trying to piece together the inception of his obsession with Matt & Co. 

Just now, FilmCzar said:

Thanks, OSU. I appreciate the information. I was just trying to piece together the inception of his obsession with Matt & Co. 

He was pretty close with Matt during his first coaching tenure. HTV and I don't see each other like we used to, but he's not nearly as close to the program as he once was.

27 minutes ago, FilmCzar said:

First of all, I have no "obsession" with Powell.  Like Nut said, my son played there, my daughter graduated from there, and I was the radio play by play guy at Powell from 2001-2013.  I have lived in the Powell community since 1976.  It's home.   I was at Powell during the tenures of Clark Duncan, Larry Stephens, Matt's first time around, Derek Rang's year, and Toby Kilgore's year. I left after Powell hired John Allen, who might be the worst football hire in Knox County history.   

I have been a lot more places than Powell as a radio guy.  I started my broadcasting career as a color guy for Webb School of Knoxville radio broadcasts, then did play by play in Blount County for a game of the week (alternated between Heritage, William Blount, Maryville, and Alcoa), did play by play for South-Doyle, and ended my career as a radio guy at Maryville with a 3 year run, retiring because of glaucoma issues after the 2017 state championship game.  

I also covered high school sports for print and electronic media during that time, which brought me in contact with a lot of coaches at schools all over East Tennessee and statewide.  

And I don't think that makes me any "better" than anybody else.  Just factual that I have been around for a long time and have been close to high school football for a reason.  

If you think I am "obsessed" then you are wrong.  My issue is that all of the fingers being pointed at Powell right now are being pointed by schools that have played on the edges of the margins for years, and now don't like that Matt is currently outworking them at their own game.  It's people from those schools that I have challenged to talk specifics on what Matt and Powell are allegedly doing that is illegal.  But it's telling that not one of them will answer the question.   

Yep. The ineligible player thing was a violation.  And Powell admitted to it and took their medicine.  Cost them a potential deep playoff run that year.  That was a really good football team.  

Since then there have been multiple fingers pointed, multiple investigations, and no findings of improprieties.  That's just reality and some can't stand it and still point fingers, but can't give any legitimate specifics.  

And why are you asking Nut about me?  I am here and have never shied away from answering your questions.   Nut is a good guy and a friend.  Don't put him in the middle of something he shouldn't be put in the middle of.  

Edited by HTV

7 minutes ago, HTV said:

First of all, I have no "obsession" with Powell.  Like Nut said, my son played there, my daughter graduated from there, and I was the radio play by play guy at Powell from 2001-2013.  I have lived in the Powell community since 1976.  It's home.   I was at Powell during the tenures of Clark Duncan, Larry Stephens, Matt's first time around, Derek Rang's year, and Toby Kilgore's year. I left after Powell hired John Allen, who might be the worst football hire in Knox County history.   

I have been a lot more places than Powell as a radio guy.  I started my broadcasting career as a color guy for Webb School of Knoxville radio broadcasts, then did play by play in Blount County for a game of the week (alternated between Heritage, William Blount, Maryville, and Alcoa), did play by play for South-Doyle, and ended my career as a radio guy at Maryville with a 3 year run, retiring because of glaucoma issues after the 2017 state championship game.  

I also covered high school sports for print and electronic media during that time, which brought me in contact with a lot of coaches at schools all over East Tennessee and statewide.  

And I don't think that makes me any "better" than anybody else.  Just factual that I have been around for a long time and have been close to high school football for a reason.  

If you think I am "obsessed" then you are wrong.  My issue is that all of the fingers being pointed at Powell right now are being pointed by schools that have played on the edges of the margins for years, and now don't like that Matt is currently outworking them at their own game.  It's people from those schools that I have challenged to talk specifics on what Matt and Powell are allegedly doing that is illegal.  But it's telling that not one of them will answer the question.   

Yep. The ineligible player thing was a violation.  And Powell admitted to it and took their medicine.  Cost them a potential deep playoff run that year.  That was a really good football team.  

Since then there have been multiple fingers pointed, multiple investigations, and no findings of improprieties.  That's just reality and some can't stand it and still point fingers, but can't give any legitimate specifics.  

This biography totally explains why you love Powell Football even though they cheat. Thanks for the info!

Edited by FilmCzar