Lexington @ Hardin County

Tigersandcats

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this game? I have not seen Lexington play this year, so don’t know much about this years team. I know  they have been a thorn in HC’s side. Won the region last year and knocked HC out in the qtr’s last year. This game will decide the region championship this year. Glad this is a home game!

On 9/25/2021 at 9:04 PM, Tigersandcats said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this game? I have not seen Lexington play this year, so don’t know much about this years team. I know  they have been a thorn in HC’s side. Won the region last year and knocked HC out in the qtr’s last year. This game will decide the region championship this year. Glad this is a home game!

After two disappointing trips to Lexington last year, I know you're glad to play Lexington at home.   It has been 8 years since I've been to a game in Savannah, but IMO, games at HC's Jim Carroll Stadium have some of the best atmosphere of any stadium in West Tennessee.  HC fans, band, and players  definitely love their football.  They get into it!

Lexington advanced to the state semifinals last year losing to Haywood 17-14.  The Big Red Tigers graduated quite a  few stars off that team, but they do have Isiah McClaine back.  Last year, McClaine led West Tennessee in rushing yards, finishing with 2,366 yards and 28 touchdowns on 278 carries.

Hardin Co. also lost some key players off of last year's quarterfinal team.  However, Kayden Pope is back.  In 2020, Pope led West Tennessee in receiving yards, finishing with 1,240 yards and 13 touchdowns on 55 receptions.

However,  when it comes to returning lettermen, I do believe Hardin Co. has the advantage.  Plus, Sophomore Carter Smith (the son of Hardin County's head coach Matthew Smith) has stepped in to fill some big shoes at QB, and he seems to be doing a great job directing the Tiger offense.

Lexington (3-3) is averaging 32.33 ppg while allowing 10.83 ppg
Hardin Co. (6-0) is averaging 38.40 ppg while allowing 8 ppg.
Lexington's opponents have won 15 games while losing 19.
Hardin County's opponents have won 14 games while losing 22.

The two teams have played one common opponent, McNairy Central.  Lexington defeated the Bobcats 41-0.  Hardin Co. defeated McNairy by a score of 45-0.

This is a big rivalry.  The region championship is on the line,   so anything can happen.  On paper, it looks to be a toss-up.  Massey predicts a score of Hardin Co. 28 - Lexington 14.  I'm going to go with Massey!

9 minutes ago, stacmot said:

After two disappointing trips to Lexington last year, I know you're glad to play Lexington at home.   It has been 8 years since I've been to a game in Savannah, but IMO, games at HC's Jim Carroll Stadium have some of the best atmosphere of any stadium in West Tennessee.  HC fans, band, and players  definitely love their football.  They get into it!

Lexington advanced to the state semifinals last year losing to Haywood 17-14.  The Big Red Tigers graduated quite a  few stars off that team, but they do have Isiah McClaine back.  Last year, McClaine led West Tennessee in rushing yards, finishing with 2,366 yards and 28 touchdowns on 278 carries.

Hardin Co. also lost some key players off of last year's quarterfinal team.  However, Kayden Pope is back.  In 2020, Pope led West Tennessee in receiving yards, finishing with 1,240 yards and 13 touchdowns on 55 receptions.

However,  when it comes to returning lettermen, I do believe Hardin Co. has the advantage.  Plus, Sophomore Carter Smith (the son of Hardin County's head coach Matthew Smith) has stepped in to fill some big shoes at QB, and he seems to be doing a great job directing the Tiger offense.

Lexington (3-3) is averaging 32.33 ppg while allowing 10.83 ppg
Hardin Co. (6-0) is averaging 38.40 ppg while allowing 8 ppg.
Lexington's opponents have won 15 games while losing 19.
Hardin County's opponents have won 14 games while losing 22.

The two teams have played one common opponent, McNairy Central.  Lexington defeated the Bobcats 41-0.  Hardin Co. defeated McNairy by a score of 45-0.

This is a big rivalry.  The region championship is on the line,   so anything can happen.  On paper, it looks to be a toss-up.  Massey predicts a score of Hardin Co. 28 - Lexington 14.  I'm going to go with Massey!

Good stuff. I agree the atmosphere at Jim Carroll is electric, great place to watch a football game, even if your not a HC fan. Carter Smith has done very well stepping in to this offense. It does help with Pope, Garner and Gray as your receivers. It has made for a smooth transition for Carter. Plus the O line so far as done a great job of protecting him. So much easier to work from a clean pocket. Defense looks really good so far as well, playing some physical football. I like Massey in this one as well lol! Always a war when these two tangle though. HC got to go and play there best game of the year to win it. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

Lexington is strong defensively they can keep it close, but like i said you shut down McClaine. You shut the whole offense down. 

Lexington DB’s look pretty good in pass coverage? Like I say I ain’t seen them play at all this year. I’m hoping our run D can keep McClaine in check somewhat.