Central @ West

madhatter2269

Just now, edwardblake said:

I like West +7. They have played better opponents and I'm still thinking that Alcoa loss has to mean something. Central has a really good defense and that could give our offense trouble but I have faith Coach Brown and his staff will have a great plan and the Rebels will execute.

Lamar Brown must have been the best man in your wedding. Anyways, I do expect a hard fought game. This one will probably be a defensive battle. 

• Upvote 1

I can't help but go back and look at their games with the other two region 2 playoff teams. Central had no trouble with Sevier County and Halls, West struggled to pull out wins against both. That has to mean something. As HTV said earlier, West has struggled all year trying to find their offense. Against this Central's defense that could be an issue. Regardless, I don't see the winning team scoring very many points.

3 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

I can't help but go back and look at their games with the other two region 2 playoff teams. Central had no trouble with Sevier County and Halls, West struggled to pull out wins against both. That has to mean something. As HTV said earlier, West has struggled all year trying to find their offense. Against this Central's defense that could be an issue. Regardless, I don't see the winning team scoring very many points.

You could make that argument for sevier co.  I suppose.  But, the difference between an 8 point win over Halls and 12 point win over halls is splitting hairs to me.  The entire discussion fails to take a third common opponent into account: Fulton.

West is missing Shannon Blair, their only real threat this year. Barfield and Latham are good, but I trust Central DC to key in on them. West QB is not mobile. Not sure why he starts. Central on a 6-game winning streak. West on a 1-game skid. West struggled vs Alcoa, Maryville, Sevier Co, Halls, Farragut and Bearden at times. Central lost some early against some teams I thought they would beat but they also start slow and finish fast. IMO West is a little bit more polished Powell type team. About as disciplined as Powell, it just shows in a different way at West. I think it will be close and West pulls away at end.

6 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

west also handled Fulton where as central did not and west also took alcoa to overtime. not sure the common opponent thing matters here. after the Fulton game I thought it would be a long season for the bobcats and a 5-5 season. now they’re a win away from hosting every game until the state championship. 

4 minutes ago, madhatter2269 said:

west also handled Fulton where as central did not and west also took alcoa to overtime. not sure the common opponent thing matters here. after the Fulton game I thought it would be a long season for the bobcats and a 5-5 season. now they’re a win away from hosting every game until the state championship. 

What you have to consider is West coaching staff not being able to win the big one since Cummins was there.

1 minute ago, Knoxemdown said:

I thought Central had a new HC since then too?  

That's right, I think they promoted the defensive coordinator. I wonder what impact the memory of that semifinal game will have on both teams. All indicators point towards a repeat of that contest. Mainly a defensive attraction that could go either way.