Cland @ North greene

THE KING

Last game of the regular season.  Cland wins big.  I got to speak with zac about the negative impact of a cupcake schedule.  The region being so weak is something we can't control but we can get 6 tougher games.  We have tremendous respect for region 2. Those boys have to go to war every day.  Even in the first round we have to adjust to a different brand of football plus the increased intensity.  It comes natural for region 2 teams to play very hard every play because they have no choice.  You stand up or be destroyed.  They don't mess around in region 2. Teams like west greene and unicoi win a lot of games around here and they wouldn't make it in region 2.  Our 2nd toughest game of the year will be in the first round. We will have to limit mistakes or we'll go home.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, THE KING said:

Last game of the regular season.  Cland wins big.  I got to speak with zac about the negative impact of a cupcake schedule.  The region being so weak is something we can't control but we can get 6 tougher games.  We have tremendous respect for region 2. Those boys have to go to war every day.  Even in the first round we have to adjust to a different brand of football plus the increased intensity.  It comes natural for region 2 teams to play very hard every play because they have no choice.  You stand up or be destroyed.  They don't mess around in region 2. Teams like west greene and unicoi win a lot of games around here and they wouldn't make it in region 2.  Our 2nd toughest game of the year will be in the first round. We will have to limit mistakes or we'll go home.

We spoke of the same thing.I think you will see a schedule improvement if he can.Outstanding kid and gonna be a very good coach.Lot of respect for him and his family.

Edited by orngnblk

2 hours ago, THE KING said:

No way of knowing that Johnson Co and Happy valley were going to be so down, as far as region 2 goes ,its for sure tougher but they don't have a great team either. Cloudland should be able to play with um . If I were Zac I'd hold off on that tougher schedule, they lose the mother load.

3 hours ago, THE KING said:

Should be better than any team in Region 2 unless Greenback is quite a bit better when they get the players back. If I were Greenback, I,d rather finish 4th, if they can't beat Cloudland they can't beat Coalfield anyway.

1 hour ago, pujo said:

Should be better than any team in Region 2 unless Greenback is quite a bit better when they get the players back. If I were Greenback, I,d rather finish 4th, if they can't beat Cloudland they can't beat Coalfield anyway.

I agree.Its actually our best scenario.In 2012 that head coach I promise you would be thinking the same thing.He wasnt a Close game Coach by no means but he loved to crunch numbers being an actual Mathmatical Genius.He would mull over letting Oakdale win.Back when we used the Z plan and quads he scheduled teams that he knew he would beat or they wouldnt show,He explained it to me and went and scheduled Tri City Christian who wasnt even sure they would have a team.lolAnd they didnt but showed as a win.

Edited by orngnblk

1 hour ago, pujo said:

No way of knowing that Johnson Co and Happy valley were going to be so down, as far as region 2 goes ,its for sure tougher but they don't have a great team either. Cloudland should be able to play with um . If I were Zac I'd hold off on that tougher schedule, they lose the mother load.

If your just padding numbers then by all means dont play better teams and beat your region by mercy rule.....OR beat your region teams by mercy rule and play better teams so your kids and staff know where the measuring stick is.We play much bigger schools each year and yes we have gotten mercy ruled doing it but we can usually go at least three rounds most years.And that is not where we like to be either but when you lose the house and landlord you have to start the climb.Dont sacrifice playing a tough schedule just for wins tho.JMO.I saw the look in Zacs eyes he is not happy playing such weak teams.I like the way this young man thinks.

18 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

If your just padding numbers then by all means dont play better teams and beat your region by mercy rule.....OR beat your region teams by mercy rule and play better teams so your kids and staff know where the measuring stick is.We play much bigger schools each year and yes we have gotten mercy ruled doing it but we can usually go at least three rounds most years.And that is not where we like to be either but when you lose the house and landlord you have to start the climb.Dont sacrifice playing a tough schedule just for wins tho.JMO.I saw the look in Zacs eyes he is not happy playing such weak teams.I like the way this young man thinks.

Schedule was much to weak this year, next year will be a challenge, huge senior class for a Cloudland team. As far as Zac goes, this schedule was made way before he was hired.

2 hours ago, pujo said:

Schedule was much to weak this year, next year will be a challenge, huge senior class for a Cloudland team. As far as Zac goes, this schedule was made way before he was hired.

With whatever zac is doing with these boys in the weight room,  I don't think we'll be as down as we would've been.  Now the freshman class for next season will be awful.  It will be a tremendous challenge for him to turn that class.  I know Mike used to turn classes that lost most of their jv games and they wound up winning as juniors and seniors. 

5 hours ago, pujo said:

Between 1989 and 2003, Mike only had 1 losing season.  Smokey Mt conference Champs 4 straight seasons. Then we got put in a region with coalfield, Knox catholic, Oakdale,  and sunbright.  In 97 and 98, oneida was in the region.  In 91, the entire offensive line was replaced.  Again in 93, 94, 96, 98, 00. Coaching means everything.  I think we hit the jackpot with zac.  He loves cloudland.  He comes to the youth club games scoping out future talent. That's what a care taker does.  He's a k-12 kind of man

8 hours ago, THE KING said:

Between 1989 and 2003, Mike only had 1 losing season.  Smokey Mt conference Champs 4 straight seasons. Then we got put in a region with coalfield, Knox catholic, Oakdale,  and sunbright.  In 97 and 98, oneida was in the region.  In 91, the entire offensive line was replaced.  Again in 93, 94, 96, 98, 00. Coaching means everything.  I think we hit the jackpot with zac.  He loves cloudland.  He comes to the youth club games scoping out future talent. That's what a care taker does.  He's a k-12 kind of man

Sounds like a good coach 

35 minutes ago, THE KING said:

He's young but very smart.  The off season workouts will keep cland competitive.  We have over 60 boys playing youth club.  I believe continuity will become the norm again.  Something we haven't had since 2005

People will have to learn that there may be some years where your not a great team. May have a losing record some years. Got still come out support the kids playing.Zac will be a awesome coach for the kids in the community.

Edited by Appvol