Bearden @ Farragut

edwardblake

6 minutes ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

Agreed.  Farragut has a state title recently and is less diverse than Bearden.  Heck Bearden is significantly more diverse than Maryville, but they have an elite coaching staff, culture, and community support for football.  

That state title was in 5A I believe. Huge drop off in competition. That season Bearden was very bad and lost to Farragut by 1 in literally the last second. I was there watching my boss's son play for Farragut. 

Farragut has 12 playoff wins in the last 15 years if you take out that 5A season

14 minutes ago, edwardblake said:

That's incorrect.

I'll do some research. Last time I checked, the minority enrollment rate at Bearden was ~25%. I'm sure that number is higher at West, Fulton, Central, and AE, but I doubt it's higher anywhere else in the county.

For reference, 14-15% of the current county population is non-white.

Edited by osunut2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PostingGawd39 said:

That state title was in 5A I believe. Huge drop off in competition. That season Bearden was very bad and lost to Farragut by 1 in literally the last second. I was there watching my boss's son play for Farragut. 

Farragut has 12 playoff wins in the last 15 years if you take out that 5A season

Agreed. Farragut hasn't had much sustained success when they've played in the largest classification historically.

6 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I'll do some research. Last time I checked, the minority enrollment rate at Bearden was ~25%. I'm sure that number is higher at West, Fulton, Central, and AE, but I doubt it's higher anywhere else in the county.

How is minority enrollment relevant to football success? I'm not sure there's very many middle eastern or Latinx kids playing football at knoxville schools, at least at the several games I've been to the past couple of years

1 minute ago, PostingGawd39 said:

How is minority enrollment relevant to football success? I'm not sure there's very many middle eastern or Latinx kids playing football at knoxville schools, at least at the several games I've been to the past couple of years

Good luck gettin these rednecks to explain themselves. :roflol:

1 minute ago, PostingGawd39 said:

Ed made the statement about "suburban white schools" and "their football teams [being] reflective of that." We were simply debating the demographics of these schools. 

21 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I agree on HVA and Karns, but demographically, Bearden is one of the most diverse schools in the county.

Bearden and HVA have about 22% minority enrollment.  

In Knox County for comparison, West is about 37%, Powell 18%, and Knoxville Central 39%.  

And those are primarily African American/Hispanic numbers.  Bearden & HVA also have a significant number of Asian students, which would increase that number if they were added.  

But that said, the 22% at Bearden is up significantly from what it was a decade or so ago.  

22 minutes ago, PostingGawd39 said:

Correct. They won the 5A championship while they still had 6A enrollment numbers.  

And that's not a put down.  Just the way it happened.