Bearden @ Farragut

edwardblake

8 minutes ago, edwardblake said:

I'd be surprised if any other sports would take offensive lineman. Outside of wrestling those bodies don't create a strategic advantage in many other sports. Maybe playing catcher on the baseball team. When they played West I also was struck by the size of the offensive lineman. But the thing that interested me more was the quarterback situation. The other West Knoxville schools seem to always be flush with potential at the QB position but Bearden seems to lack ability at that position too. Arguably two of the most important positions on the field. From my perch at West High there was rumor that two quarterbacks came out their feeder schools, one went to Maryville the other went to Catholic so that could explain some issues they've had as well.

I see a lot of linemen types that play baseball, too, and not just catchers.  I think that's a bit too much stereotyping in this day and time.  

A lot of those kids are first/third base types, and those big bodies can convert to the mound, as well.  

There are two types of linemen: 

1.  Big kids

2. Big kids who have some athleticism and agility.  

Obviously the second group are fewer and further between, but they are there.  

One other issue at Bearden is that there are quite a few of the kids zoned for Bearden who are playing football at CAK/Cathlolic/Webb right now, as well.  

8 minutes ago, HTV said:

I see a lot of linemen types that play baseball, too, and not just catchers.  I think that's a bit too much stereotyping in this day and time.  

A lot of those kids are first/third base types, and those big bodies can convert to the mound, as well.  

1.  Big kids

One other issue at Bearden is that there are quite a few of the kids zoned for Bearden who are playing football at CAK/Cathlolic/Webb right now, as well.  

From what I saw at when West played Bearden they only have the "big kids" you have described playing offensive line. The second group you described are what are known as defensive lineman. Their position requires more agility. When I go to West baseball games I don't see many left guards in the outfield or playing second base. 

16 minutes ago, HTV said:

1.  Big kids

A quick google search of Bearden Baseball shows their senior class group picture. Doesn't appear to be any that weigh over 200lbs. Not sure where you're getting this idea from. Farragut/Catholic/Maryville OLs seem to average 265-285. From what yall are saying on this thread Beardens seems 40-50lbs smaller

38 minutes ago, HTV said:

1.  Big kids

Sounds like a combination of factors: losing kids to private schools or other sports, starting QB moved to West, maybe lack of lineman in the student population, etc.  I cannot recall Bearden ever having a top-tier football program in the last 20 years.  Maybe I am wrong.  Not sure we can place blame on the players or coaches over there.  Bearden, HVA, and Karns, in my mind, have never had top football programs like Fulton, Farragut, Maryville, Alcoa, OR, Central, West, Powell, Catholic, and Webb have had.

Edited by LittleJerrySeinfeld

3 minutes ago, PostingGawd39 said:

A quick google search of Bearden Baseball shows their senior class group picture. Doesn't appear to be any that weigh over 200lbs. Not sure where you're getting this idea from. Farragut/Catholic/Maryville OLs seem to average 265-285. From what yall are saying on this thread Beardens seems 40-50lbs smaller

I would argue that in the 21st century in a suburban/metro school of 2000 kids, I find it hard to believe that there aren't any kids that weigh ~250 (or more) capable of playing football. I'm not saying that automatically qualifies a kid to play as an offensive lineman (just ask Oak Ridge lol), but that seems odd to me. I attended Powell in the mid-late 90s, and that was pretty uncommon. I had one classmate who was "athletic" at ~300, but he was a very talented musician. He played football up until 7th or 8th grade (offensive guard/tackle), and just decided to hang it up. I often wonder what kind of high school talent he could have been if he'd had the personal drive to keep playing.

Bearden has never had a lot of historic football success, but they certainly aren't devoid of talent in those halls. But it definitely doesn't help that they lose kids to CAK, Catholic, Webb, Grace, and even West or Maryville.

3 minutes ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

Sounds like a combination of factors: losing kids to private schools or other sports, starting QB moved to West, maybe lack of lineman in the student population, etc.  I cannot recall Bearden ever having a top-tier football program in the last 20 years.  Maybe I am wrong.  Not sure we can place blame on the players or coaches over there.  Bearden, HVA, and Karns, in my mind, have never had top football programs like Fulton, Maryville, Alcoa, OR, Central, West, Powell, Catholic, and Webb have had.

Interesting take. Maryville and Alcoa definitely in a league of their own. Central is one of the winningest programs in state history. West was similar to Bearden from a win/loss perspective up until about ten years ago.  Fulton is having a good year but their golden age has passed. Powell isn't top tier, most of Knoxville has beaten them at least once in the last ten years. Webb went on a streak for a while but has been reeling ever since. Catholic goes back and forth between private and public leagues only to get brow beat in the former and struggle for wins in the latter. The schools you have mentioned as top tier are also much more diverse than Bearden, HVA, and Karns will ever be. Bearden and HVA are suburban white schools and their football teams are reflective of that.

3 minutes ago, edwardblake said:

The schools you have mentioned as top tier are also much more diverse than Bearden, HVA, and Karns will ever be. Bearden and HVA are suburban white schools and their football teams are reflective of that.

I agree on HVA and Karns, but demographically, Bearden is one of the most diverse schools in the county.

Just now, osunut2 said:

I agree on HVA and Karns, but demographically, Bearden is one of the most diverse schools in the county.

Agreed.  Farragut has a state title recently and is less diverse than Bearden.  Heck Bearden is significantly more diverse than Maryville, but they have an elite coaching staff, culture, and community support for football.  

5 minutes ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

Agreed.  Farragut has a state title recently and is less diverse than Bearden.  Heck Bearden is significantly more diverse than Maryville, but they have an elite coaching staff, culture, and community support for football.  

If by less diverse you mean 2% less white. The point you're missing about Farragut winning a state title is them dropping to 5A. I was really hoping my Rebels could go back.

Edited by edwardblake