Most Dominating TN HS programs

durdon

There is many ways to judge the success of a high school sports program, and personally I think the best way is by looking at how many kids they can develop and inspire to continue participating at the D1 level.  

Current TN D1 Wrestlers

6 McCallie 

4 Christian Brothers

3 Cleveland 

2 Baylor

2 Beech

2 Brentwood Academy

2 Dobyns Bennett

2 Signal Mountain 

1 Blackman

1 Notre Dame

1 Riverdale

1 Science Hill

1 Soddy Daisey

1 Whitwell

15 D2 

11 AAA – big school 

3 AA – Small School

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, durdon said:

There is many ways to judge the success of a high school sports program, and personally I think the best way is by looking at how many kids they can develop and inspire to continue participating at the D1 level.  

Current TN D1 Wrestlers

6 McCallie 

4 Christian Brothers

3 Cleveland 

2 Baylor

2 Beech

2 Brentwood Academy

2 Dobyns Bennett

2 Signal Mountain 

1 Blackman

1 Notre Dame

1 Riverdale

1 Science Hill

1 Soddy Daisey

1 Whitwell

15 D2 

11 AAA – big school 

3 AA – Small School

Nice list

I guess this is the logic that happens when you get thumped 51-14 in 2021, 50-16 in 2020, and 45-26 in 2019 by your private school rival right across the street.  If that is recent success, well.... Yikes

Seriously, McCallie is great with superb kids and lots of good programs in that list but I don't personally know OP so I'm going to assume this was a troll post.  After all, here I thought almost all and any success was due to parents followed by where and with whom their kids wrestled as young kids coupled with an individual kid's level of desire, because what you are really doing is listing individual accomplishments.  

Edited by oceansize42

And since we are trolling and referencing individual accomplishments, we can't even determine who the best individual within the state is.  

Let's just pick 138, we could have had McDaniel (AAA) vs Ivy (D2) vs Mason (AA) whose families all actually reside in TN. But nope, god forbid we actually see those matches. There were so many really good matchups that should have happened to determine who was truly the best in their weight class.  Talk about bragging rights. Or 152 with Hurst, Foreman, and Taylor

2 hours ago, BQ125 said:

Josh i was just messing with you but agree, that logic for best program doesnt add up.  But Scott could have been doing it to spark conversation or mess with people.  Its all good!

I mean let’s have some fun and get this board alive again.  
And,  no Josh I wasn’t messing with you at all….  Now my friends at Baylor :)

The past few years, Cleveland and Baylor are night and day above everyone in the state as far as "dominance" goes, and the next best is not even close. Since 2000, here are the facts:

State Titles (not including duals)

1. Baylor (12)

2. Bradley Central (10)

T3. Cleveland (8)

T3. Father Ryan (8)

5. Pigeon Forge (6) - A/AA

6. Soddy Daisy (3)

7. CBHS (2)

T8. Clarksville (1)

T8. Hixson (1) - A/AA

T8. Gibbs (1) - A/AA

McCallie has won 2 dual titles ('03 and '06), but I don't think they have even beaten Baylor in a dual since '06 when they had Gordon Connell coaching. Have they even beat Cleveland in the past 10 years? I would expect better results from the state's "most dominant" team with all that DI talent. LOL. McCallie's dominance came with Gordon Connell and ended when he stepped down.

That aside though, 6 DI wrestlers is impressive.