Most Dominating TN HS programs

durdon

18 minutes ago, cowcatcher said:

The past few years, Cleveland and Baylor are night and day above everyone in the state as far as "dominance" goes, and the next best is not even close. Since 2000, here are the facts:

State Titles (not including duals)

1. Baylor (12)

2. Bradley Central (10)

T3. Cleveland (8)

T3. Father Ryan (8)

5. Pigeon Forge (6) - A/AA

6. Soddy Daisy (3)

7. CBHS (2)

T8. Clarksville (1)

T8. Hixson (1) - A/AA

T8. Gibbs (1) - A/AA

McCallie has won 2 dual titles ('03 and '06), but I don't think they have even beaten Baylor in a dual since '06 when they had Gordon Connell coaching. Have they even beat Cleveland in the past 10 years? I would expect better results from the state's "most dominant" team with all that DI talent. LOL. McCallie's dominance came with Gordon Connell and ended when he stepped down.

That aside though, 6 DI wrestlers is impressive. 

If everyone is honest with themselves we must say that it is much easier to win both a team state championship and individual state championship since the split of public & private schools.  There are teams on the list that never won a state championship before the split.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, cbg said:

If everyone is honest with themselves we must say that it is much easier to win both a team state championship and individual state championship since the split of public & private schools.  There are teams on the list that never won a state championship before the split.

Completely agree. With Pigeon Forge, for example, I suspect Foreman would be the only one on their team with even a chance to win if they were to wrestle Cleveland or Baylor.  Very impressive run for the small schools though.

On 10/28/2021 at 12:03 AM, durdon said:

There is many ways to judge the success of a high school sports program, and personally I think the best way is by looking at how many kids they can develop and inspire to continue participating at the D1 level.  

Current TN D1 Wrestlers

6 McCallie 

4 Christian Brothers

3 Cleveland 

2 Baylor

2 Beech

2 Brentwood Academy

2 Dobyns Bennett

2 Signal Mountain 

1 Blackman

1 Notre Dame

1 Riverdale

1 Science Hill

1 Soddy Daisey

1 Whitwell

15 D2 

11 AAA – big school 

3 AA – Small School

On 10/29/2021 at 9:25 AM, cowcatcher said:

The past few years, Cleveland and Baylor are night and day above everyone in the state as far as "dominance" goes, and the next best is not even close. Since 2000, here are the facts:

State Titles (not including duals)

1. Baylor (12)

2. Bradley Central (10)

T3. Cleveland (8)

T3. Father Ryan (8)

5. Pigeon Forge (6) - A/AA

6. Soddy Daisy (3)

7. CBHS (2)

T8. Clarksville (1)

T8. Hixson (1) - A/AA

T8. Gibbs (1) - A/AA

McCallie has won 2 dual titles ('03 and '06), but I don't think they have even beaten Baylor in a dual since '06 when they had Gordon Connell coaching. Have they even beat Cleveland in the past 10 years? I would expect better results from the state's "most dominant" team with all that DI talent. LOL. McCallie's dominance came with Gordon Connell and ended when he stepped down.

That aside though, 6 DI wrestlers is impressive. 

McCallie's last regular season dual victory was in 2004. They beat Baylor in the state dual finals in 2006. The regular season team score at McCallie wasn't close with Baylor winning every close match. Enough of the toss ups went the other way in state duals finals for McCallie to win the championship.

15 minutes ago, mtnrasslin said:

McCallie's last regular season dual victory was in 2004. They beat Baylor in the state dual finals in 2006. The regular season team score at McCallie wasn't close with Baylor winning every close match. Enough of the toss ups went the other way in state duals finals for McCallie to win the championship.

You coach there?  Had a kid that was a senior or something?   Impressive to note details of duals from 15 years ago