New District 3-AA Thoughts and Predictions?

23 hours ago, logcabinman said:

Central girls are starting to look like the group I thought they would, playing well right now.  In my opinion, it would be a huge upset Friday.  It is for sure a huge game for both teams.  

It's always a good gate when these two schools play each other in virtually every sport. I think the boys' basketball game will be a very close one. 

On 2/2/2022 at 10:31 AM, logcabinman said:

Central girls are starting to look like the group I thought they would, playing well right now.  In my opinion, it would be a huge upset Friday.  It is for sure a huge game for both teams.  

Lady Tigers played them tough last night, they cut the lead down to 4 in the 3rd but Central’s to deep and talented. I think Central should go to state this year with a chance to win some games when they get there. Meigs will probably have to go through Polk and Tellico again to play Central in the region championship, witch I believe they can do.

2 hours ago, Dadof2 said:

Lady Tigers played them tough last night, they cut the lead down to 4 in the 3rd but Central’s to deep and talented. I think Central should go to state this year with a chance to win some games when they get there. Meigs will probably have to go through Polk and Tellico again to play Central in the region championship, witch I believe they can do.

That's about how I thought the game would go last night. I agree that this is the year that Central finally makes it back to state. It will be interesting to see who the top 2 teams are that will come out of Region 1. 

On 1/31/2022 at 6:05 PM, blitzinbuc said:

Doubtful that Marion would be willing to give up that gate money, even if there weren't any District 4 teams remaining for the Regions semifinals/finals.  Speaking of substate that Logcabinman and you were discussing, who would be the favorites now from Region 3 since Upperman and others have moved up to AAA?

I was told last night if district 3 girls weep district 4 the first round, that the semifinals and championship game would come back to Meigs. After I saw what Meigs girls did to Polk last night that’s likely to happen.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dadof2 said:

I was told last night if district 3 girls weep district 4 the first round, that the semifinals and championship game would come back to Meigs. After I saw what Meigs girls did to Polk last night that’s likely to happen.

That would be good, but I just don't see Kingston beating Polk Co. - assuming that would be the 1st round matchup. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dadof2 said:

Not going to matter.......I am certain anything can happen but I do not see anyone in District 4 beating Central nor anyone in District 3.  Central first 8 girls are like having 8 starters....No one else has that kind of depth. Polk made it interesting in the first half. They played hard but just got flat out wore (depth-wise) out the second half. Central just keeps coming at you in waves with that rotation.

3 hours ago, Charger64 said:

Not going to matter.......I am certain anything can happen but I do not see anyone in District 4 beating Central nor anyone in District 3.  Central first 8 girls are like having 8 starters....No one else has that kind of depth. Polk made it interesting in the first half. They played hard but just got flat out wore (depth-wise) out the second half. Central just keeps coming at you in waves with that rotation.

I agree it was the same way for Meigs in 2020 with 8 girls that could play and it was all about matchups and that determined on who played the most. But I would like to see district 3 sweep district 4 so we don’t have to drive all the way to Marion Co lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Charger64 said:

I think you missed the point - that it would be beneficial to ALL area District 3 teams to play at location closer to them than having to drive to Marion Co.  However, I agree with what you posted about Central.  No surprises since that's exactly what I and many others said before the season even started!!! I even predicted that Central would and should make it to State this year and the next few years.

On 2/10/2022 at 12:48 PM, blitzinbuc said:

I think you missed the point - that it would be beneficial to ALL area District 3 teams to play at location closer to them than having to drive to Marion Co.  However, I agree with what you posted about Central.  No surprises since that's exactly what I and many others said before the season even started!!! I even predicted that Central would and should make it to State this year and the next few years.

It's not going to be easy.  Tellico played Central close last night for 3 quarters, then the depth that was spoken of came into play.  Alcoa and GP, who imo will be the sub-state matchups our region will be facing, are really solid ball teams.

1 hour ago, logcabinman said:

It's not going to be easy.  Tellico played Central close last night for 3 quarters, then the depth that was spoken of came into play.  Alcoa and GP, who imo will be the sub-state matchups our region will be facing, are really solid ball teams.

It's never easy at substate level, and I know Central split with Alcoa this year, but playing at Central will be hard for Alcoa or Gatlinburg-Pittman to win with Central's quality depth.  I could see Tellico possibly playing Central for the Region Championship, but Central is just too good and deep for the District 3 or 4 teams. If Central just had an off night and the other team played lights out would be the only way Central wouldn't win the District or Region.

On 2/11/2022 at 3:45 PM, blitzinbuc said:

It's never easy at substate level, and I know Central split with Alcoa this year, but playing at Central will be hard for Alcoa or Gatlinburg-Pittman to win with Central's quality depth.  I could see Tellico possibly playing Central for the Region Championship, but Central is just too good and deep for the District 3 or 4 teams. If Central just had an off night and the other team played lights out would be the only way Central wouldn't win the District or Region.

We actually beat Alcoa both games, but they are a tough bunch.

On 2/14/2022 at 12:09 PM, logcabinman said:

We actually beat Alcoa both games, but they are a tough bunch.

You're correct - it was CAK that beat them.  Central's second victory over Alcoa was pretty convincing!      *Edited to say: assuming Central makes it to state, I hope they don't draw Loretto in the first round. 

Edited by blitzinbuc
  • Like 1