Heritage hires former UT Coach Joe Osovet

53 minutes ago, Futbolfan2022 said:

They have started spring practice. Interesting that a program that has put everything on social media and has a director of graphics and social media they haven’t posted a single thing from actual football practice. 

That goes back to the pretty red bow on everything. It's all still new and exciting but that newness wears off and just like at every other school, players will quit during or after spring practice. The commitment required for summer workouts heading into August is too much for some to handle. I think the decision to have 'open' practices will also backfire. Lots will be learned over the next couple of months. 

1 hour ago, BS101 said:

So I see the negative Heritage supporters are well and good.  I am glad he hired 3 coaches from Heritage Middle School.  They had a good team last year.  I'm glad to see them supporting him.  Who is going to coach there now?  

Well, from the social media posts it was one coach from HMS and two from Eagleton. Also, being realistic and noticing empty promises and coaches already dipping out is different than being negative. 

Still hope the best for the kids out there, but there are still questionable choices/decisions being made daily. 

Edited by ftbllfan23

7 minutes ago, ftbllfan23 said:

Well, from the social media posts it was one coach from HMS and two from Eagleton. Also, being realistic and noticing empty promises and coaches already dipping out is different than being negative. 

Still hope the best for the kids out there, but there are still questionable choices/decisions being made daily. 

Could the coaching hires have something to do with available "teaching" position?  That may be why  they've hired several from inside the system.

41 minutes ago, OldRebel2 said:

That may be why  they've hired several from inside the system.

Which is the way it happens more times than not in most systems.  Tenure has kept available teaching slots limited pretty much everywhere.  Teaching/admin slots are created for head coaching hires at times, but not very often for assistants.  

1 hour ago, OldRebel2 said:

Could the coaching hires have something to do with available "teaching" position?  That may be why  they've hired several from inside the system.

I would consider this possibly being the case, but only to a point. Hiring from the inside and hiring locals is different. So if you're looking for people that are not teachers, but are high school coaches, there are plenty out there. Whether they are worth a flip, that's up in the air. After all, look at a lot of the recent hires in the area. The coaches that were hired from Eagleton aren't even teachers. Not sure this coach has a list of teachers/coaches submitting apps and begging to get into this school system; teachers or not. He may be able to recruit college players, but recruiting coaches may not be his forte. Especially not to a system that is not trying to grow and thrive and change to benefit students.

So from what I understand, the only former middle school coach that is a teacher is the one from HMS, Whitehead. He previously coached with Hammontree at the high school level and what I've been told was asked to coach at the middle school to build that program and run the same things as the high school was so it would be a fluid transition for upcoming freshmen. The only other new coach that has been named to staff that was a teacher was the one mentioned previously in this thread was the one that recently took another job in SC. I believe one of the coaches that was retained from Hammontree's staff is an ACT prep teacher at HHS. I'm sure this coach was told he could bring in whoever and they'll make a way. Looks as though that wasn't really option. 

Looking back when Hammontree was hired, his staff was mainly comprised of volunteer coaches because bringing in actual qualified high school football coaches with true experience outside of Blount County require teaching positions and they just weren't there. It wasn't as common 10, 12 years ago to not be a teacher and be a major asset to a staff as it is today.  And as the years went by and things didn't change, if coaches on staff were offered better positions elsewhere, they were encouraged to take those to benefit their families. Volunteer coaches were giving everything they had, only to watch nothing change as well. There were a lot of promises made by the administration that never came to fruition the past 10 years. One of many actually, but that's for another day. 

There's hiring from inside the system and then there's scrounging to prove a point of trying to 'keep with tradition.'  I think this coach has heard that the community isn't involved so much that he's trying to over compensate by involving everybody and slap a label on them. For example, you've hired a director of football operations that is apparently an alumni, but never once attempted to be around Heritage football previously, only bashed it on social media and in the community. Then you hire his wife as the content creator, you bring in middle school coaches locally and your only ''quality coaches from around the nation'' are a 7on7 football coach that only has one year of high school coaching experience and you've got him running your weight program, and another former junior college coach from NY.  None of that is screaming 'one of the BEST STAFFS in East TN' but maybe that's just me.

All this to say, how about a lot less talk and a lot more work to benefit the players. Enough with the show, the gimmicks, videos and the hashtags. Like someone else previously said, there's not been one mention of actual FOOTBALL. Hopefully the parents and 'boosters' realize that behind all the videos, pictures, graphics and schticks, you still have the play the game.  

Edited by ftbllfan23

1 hour ago, ftbllfan23 said:

I would consider this possibly being the case, but only to a point. Hiring from the inside and hiring locals is different. So if you're looking for people that are not teachers, but are high school coaches, there are plenty out there. Whether they are worth a flip, that's up in the air. After all, look at a lot of the recent hires in the area. The coaches that were hired from Eagleton aren't even teachers. Not sure this coach has a list of teachers/coaches submitting apps and begging to get into this school system; teachers or not. He may be able to recruit college players, but recruiting coaches may not be his forte. Especially not to a system that is not trying to grow and thrive and change to benefit students.

So from what I understand, the only former middle school coach that is a teacher is the one from HMS, Whitehead. He previously coached with Hammontree at the high school level and what I've been told was asked to coach at the middle school to build that program and run the same things as the high school was so it would be a fluid transition for upcoming freshmen. The only other new coach that has been named to staff that was a teacher was the one mentioned previously in this thread was the one that recently took another job in SC. I believe one of the coaches that was retained from Hammontree's staff is an ACT prep teacher at HHS. I'm sure this coach was told he could bring in whoever and they'll make a way. Looks as though that wasn't really option. 

Looking back when Hammontree was hired, his staff was mainly comprised of volunteer coaches because bringing in actual qualified high school football coaches with true experience outside of Blount County require teaching positions and they just weren't there. It wasn't as common 10, 12 years ago to not be a teacher and be a major asset to a staff as it is today.  And as the years went by and things didn't change, if coaches on staff were offered better positions elsewhere, they were encouraged to take those to benefit their families. Volunteer coaches were giving everything they had, only to watch nothing change as well. There were a lot of promises made by the administration that never came to fruition the past 10 years. One of many actually, but that's for another day. 

There's hiring from inside the system and then there's scrounging to prove a point of trying to 'keep with tradition.'  I think this coach has heard that the community isn't involved so much that he's trying to over compensate by involving everybody and slap a label on them. For example, you've hired a director of football operations that is apparently an alumni, but never once attempted to be around Heritage football previously, only bashed it on social media and in the community. Then you hire his wife as the content creator, you bring in middle school coaches locally and your only ''quality coaches from around the nation'' are a 7on7 football coach that only has one year of high school coaching experience and you've got him running your weight program, and another former junior college coach from NY.  None of that is screaming 'one of the BEST STAFFS in East TN' but maybe that's just me.

All this to say, how about a lot less talk and a lot more work to benefit the players. Enough with the show, the gimmicks, videos and the hashtags. Like someone else previously said, there's not been one mention of actual FOOTBALL. Hopefully the parents and 'boosters' realize that behind all the videos, pictures, graphics and schticks, you still have the play the game.  

What’s really great, is the leaders in the school and county acting like they hired the second coming of Bear Bryant.  when it doesn’t work out and Osovet flees for greener pastures, he’ll throw them under the bus for broken promises. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Let's say Joe just stayed one year. What a great coach to learn from, one that has been to the big times for the guys that were at the middle school system last year. How would you like to learn under someone like Shad and be taught to take a vacation during fall break.

I somewhat can see what you're saying, Barney, but, this guy hasn't coached at the level he's currently coaching at. You know things do not run the same from junior college, to division 1 to high school. He's never called one single play on a high school field.  He's never done half the stuff he's doing now in his life. Things do not run the same. These middle school coaches and other coaches he's retained have done more fundraising, booster club meetings, talking with parents, going over TSSAA rules, speaking with refs. I know that's not the game, but it's a large part of high school sports. Honestly, he's probably learning how to do things from them. What are they expecting to learn from him? Well, I guess they could brush up on this incredible offense he has. 

Edited by ftbllfan23

2 minutes ago, Futbolfan2022 said:

What’s really great, is the leaders in the school and county acting like they hired the second coming of Bear Bryant.  when it doesn’t work out and Osovet flees for greener pastures, he’ll throw them under the bus for broken promises. 

You know they've promised him the world and they won't be able to deliver. Same cow patty, different year. The fire will burn out with parents and then I guess they'll be back to square one.

12 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Back in the 1980's A&W tried to compete with McDonald's by selling a third pound hamburger at a lower cost then a quarter pounder. The product failed because the public though the quarter pounder was bigger. This is the perfect reason why I don't like to get online and argue with someone.

Stephen A Smith Rolls Eyes GIF - Stephen A Smith Rolls Eyes Rolling My Eyes  - Discover & Share GIFs