Cookeville vs Upperman

Volsfan52

On 8/20/2022 at 12:42 PM, blueeyes said:

Id say 14-7 at the half,    28-7 End...  But, I was there for the Jamboree... Monterey Youth > Baxter Youth.   Baxter will have to get help from Cookeville to Compete, and I think that Gravy Train stops for Baxter now that Cookeville has a young and upcoming Coach.  

As long as the Bees win with Caine....they players will come. Great Freshman class at UHS 

On 8/20/2022 at 9:37 AM, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Putnam schoolboard needs to man up and build Upperman a quality stadium or upgrade what they have. They cut the funding when built for other projects and never touched it since. Cookeville has 5× as many seats and turf. It's a joke what Monterey abd UHS get compared to CHS and both have better programs. Putnam needs to invest in a winner, or at least try and be fair. 

On 8/19/2022 at 7:33 PM, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Not unless lots of injuries happen to UHS. What people don't  realize is UHS is Upperman, basicalky west putnam county hs....not Baxter city school. Lots of population now in west Putnam county east of Willow Ave. Lots of people with a Cookeville mailing address  are zoned, when enforced, to go to Upperman. Cookeville is to populated to house every hs student in the city. So I laugh when I hear " they are stealing Cookeville kids" when Lots of Cookeville is zone to UHS. 

On 8/19/2022 at 2:47 PM, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Who are those 4 players? Dedmon, Rollins, Cullum, Harris were all on the team last year. I think it's more due to best player plays at UHS, not exactly so at CHS. The baseball team won state and like 12 kids had dads or cousins play on UHS title teams of the early 90s. In basketball, I seen more kids transfer to CHS from UHS than the other away around. 

1. The turf field was mostly funded from private donations to the football, soccer, and lax teams.  If you would like baxter to get a turf field then get out and raise some money. 

2. There is no enforcement of any kind of zone unless you ride a bus.    There are, however, TSSAA rules regarding transferring schools and address changes.  Personally I feel that they should enforce a "hard zone" based on address wheather you ride a bus or not so all of this transferring between county schools would stop. 

3. Not sure about all the kids you named but Rollins went to CHS his freshman year.  He is a great player. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Alumn89 said:

1. The turf field was mostly funded from private donations to the football, soccer, and lax teams.  If you would like baxter to get a turf field then get out and raise some money. 

2. There is no enforcement of any kind of zone unless you ride a bus.    There are, however, TSSAA rules regarding transferring schools and address changes.  Personally I feel that they should enforce a "hard zone" based on address wheather you ride a bus or not so all of this transferring between county schools would stop. 

3. Not sure about all the kids you named but Rollins went to CHS his freshman year.  He is a great player. 

TSSAA doesn't have the authority to enforce a "Hard Zone".  Zoning is left up to the school board with over 95% of Tennessee public high schools being Open Zoned

It would be nice to get a turf field our grass is dead in spots by mid season and Into the playoffs. I’m afraid to even ask what a turf field would cost. I do feel there our more injuries on a turf than grass. Grass gives away and turf doesn’t so your cleats stick and there goes your ankles and knees. 

21 hours ago, Swipes said:

TSSAA doesn't have the authority to enforce a "Hard Zone".  Zoning is left up to the school board with over 95% of Tennessee public high schools being Open Zoned

TSSAA has the authority to enforce its own rules about transfers, which is what I said, but they don't.  If you begin school at a high school (open zoned or not) and you transfer without a change of residence, you are required to sit out a year.     

You are correct about the school board has the authority to enforce a hard zoning policy about where you attend high school.  No clue about your 95% statistic.  

Just now, Alumn89 said:

TSSAA has the authority to enforce its own rules about transfers, but they don't.  If you begin school at a high school (open zoned or not) and you transfer without a change of residence, you are required to sit out a year.     

You are correct. I didn't make myself clear about who "they" are that would enforce the hard zone. I switched gears without clarifying. The school board has the authority to enforce a hard zoning policy about where you attend high school.  No clue about your 95% statistic.  

23 minutes ago, Alumn89 said:

If you have proof that someone started at a school in 9th grade and transfer without a change of address or sitting out a year then you need to turn them in to the TSSAA so they will enforce their rules.  (they don’t just send people out without a school requesting it)

If you don’t like “open zoning” then get people to go to the school board and change it strictly to a closed zoned school system.  What a lot of people don’t understand is what is classified as “open zone” is any school system that has a transfer policy on file which it would be hard pressed to find a school that doesn’t unless it’s a school system with only one high school in it. It doesn’t matter if it’s hard as can be to get a transfer or not either it’s if they have it in their policy’s.

I just hate when people cry about open zoning almost all schools in Tennessee are open zoned

2 hours ago, Swipes said:

If you have proof that someone started at a school in 9th grade and transfer without a change of address or sitting out a year then you need to turn them in to the TSSAA so they will enforce their rules.  (they don’t just send people out without a school requesting it)

If you don’t like “open zoning” then get people to go to the school board and change it strictly to a closed zoned school system.  What a lot of people don’t understand is what is classified as “open zone” is any school system that has a transfer policy on file which it would be hard pressed to find a school that doesn’t unless it’s a school system with only one high school in it. It doesn’t matter if it’s hard as can be to get a transfer or not either it’s if they have it in their policy’s.

I just hate when people cry about open zoning almost all schools in Tennessee are open zoned

Your first point is well taken.  Apparently some schools turn others in and some schools don't.  Or rather some people at some schools turn them in when some people at other schools don't. 

I'm sorry you hate when people "cry".    I think your definition of open zoning is a little broad but you live in your world and I'll live in mine.  

Good luck to baxter as they continue this season

25 minutes ago, Alumn89 said:

Your first point is well taken.  Apparently some schools turn others in and some schools don't.  Or rather some people at some schools turn them in when some people at other schools don't. 

I'm sorry you hate when people "cry".    I think your definition of open zoning is a little broad but you live in your world and I'll live in mine.  

Good luck to baxter as they continue this season

It's not my definition it's the TSSAA definition of what an open zoned school is.  So we all live in the TSSAA definition world when it comes to high schools sports. (No feelings involved)

Not a Upperman Fan (Will probably see them in the play-offs if we both make it to the Semi's).  Just a former football coach that has dealt with the TSSAA in the past.

58 minutes ago, Swipes said:

It's not my definition it's the TSSAA definition of what an open zoned school is.  So we all live in the TSSAA definition world when it comes to high schools sports. (No feelings involved)

Not a Upperman Fan (Will probably see them in the play-offs if we both make it to the Semi's).  Just a former football coach that has dealt with the TSSAA in the past.

I'd challenge you to find the TSSAA definition of what an open zoned school is matching yours.    It isn't in the by laws and based on anything I've ever found they basically consider schools like Maryville who accept students from outside of the county or school system as "open zoned".  

I consider Putnam County "soft zoned" because they have zones in place for these schools , but they only exist right now for bus purposes or in the case the school becomes over crowded.  

Maybe you can find it for me. 

I don't envy you dealing with TSSAA in the past.  They seem like a headache to deal with. 

Either way, this thread has gone off the rails a bit and I apologize for that.  Enjoy the rest of the season!

Edited by Alumn89

54 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Then dealing with them in the past you totally understand how relative the rules are for the teams that are really good at covering up recruiting or enrollment violations or either by giving parents or family jobs at the school or in the community or even to the extent of renting apartments out for the kids family to live in it happens every year all over the state.

The TSSAA is a joke of organization all they do is collect their “nonprofit” salaries and do little to nothing to relegate any of the sports. Football Is probably the most enforced to be honest because it makes them the most money. However, If you think they are going to enforce their own rules, especially the open enrollment one, unless the circumstance is handed to them on a silver platter and multiple people are raising a stink about it than your just as naive as they are Swipes. I know you’ve been on these boards a while and this is not new info for you, but most the time they won’t even investigate claims unless someone has already done the work for them or as I said multiple complaints