Union City @ Covington Jamboree - 8/12/22

CHARGERFAN

Covington and Union City are doing something different this year. Their Jamboree includes Middle School and Junior Varsity scrimmages as well as the high school varsities. Here are details:

COVINGTON VS. UNION CITY

PURPLE AND GOLD JAMBOREE

Friday, August 12, 2022

Schedule

·         6:00 PM – Union City Middle School vs. Crestview Middle School – 20-minute running clock.

·         6:30 PM – Union City Band performs

·         6:45 PM – Union City JV / Freshmen vs Covington High JV / Freshmen – 20-minute running clock  

·         7:15 PM – Union City High Varsity vs Covington High Varsity – two halves of 20 minutes each, running clock. Union City begins first half with ball on offense. Covington begins second half with ball on offense.

Special teams will not be live. No kickoffs or kick returns. No returns on punts. Possessions to begin each half start at the 30 yard line.

Admission  

Advance tickets on GoFan - $8

Tickets at the gate - $10

55 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Covington and Union City are doing something different this year. Their Jamboree includes Middle School and Junior Varsity scrimmages as well as the high school varsities.

I think I like this format much better than traditional jamborees. It sounds like a fun night for Charger and Tornado fans.  Let us know how it turns out.

Edited by stacmot
  • Like 1

Varsity Union City VS Covington 

After two 20minute quarters it ended 0-0. Both teams slugged it out. It will be a good season for both teams I believe.  Both teams had some injuries that kept a few players out but it was a classic slug fest at the purple and gold jamboree.

Good luck the rest of the year Covington.

6 minutes ago, Tornado82 said:

Varsity Union City VS Covington 

After two 20minute quarters it ended 0-0. Both teams slugged it out. It will be a good season for both teams I believe.  Both teams had some injuries that kept a few players out but it was a classic slug fest at the purple and gold jamboree.

Good luck the rest of the year Covington.

Yep, it was a draw for the two Varsity squads. Neither team could generate enough offense to get in the end zone. I’m a little concerned about what I’ve seen from the Covington offense this year. I saw us running a single running back and three wideouts vs. Southside and what looked like a pistol tonight vs. Union City. Neither generated consistent yardage. I missed the scrimmage vs. Huntingdon, so can’t comment on that one. I’m sure Coach Kirby will adjust, and he has the old wing-T as a fallback, if needed. 

I think the Covington defense is a solid unit and is ready to go. I’ll keep you posted on the O, as it’s apparently a work in progress. 

13 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Yep, it was a draw for the two Varsity squads. Neither team could generate enough offense to get in the end zone. I’m a little concerned about what I’ve seen from the Covington offense this year. I saw us running a single running back and three wideouts vs. Southside and what looked like a pistol tonight vs. Union City. Neither generated consistent yardage. I missed the scrimmage vs. Huntingdon, so can’t comment on that one. I’m sure Coach Kirby will adjust, and he has the old wing-T as a fallback, if needed. 

I think the Covington defense is a solid unit and is ready to go. I’ll keep you posted on the O, as it’s apparently a work in progress. 

Hmm. This is interesting. I would imagine the ole WIN-T will be back out and operational soon! Seems like a few years ago y'all started the season with a new offense. Coaches could not get what they wanted out of it so they dropped the whole thing and went back to the wingT after just 1 game.