Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting!!!!

BarneySox2007

Turf Wars, County Commissioners clash over synthetic turf installation at Blount High Schools last night. After arguing for hours the vote will be sent to the county commission next month by a vote of 14-6. Most of the argument was if we should rob Peter or Rob Paul. One of the no votes said we have bricks flying off the walls hitting kids in the head. That my friends is the actual reason Blount County Schools are in the mess their in and why parents want to get their kids out of there and send them to Maryville or Alcoa.

2 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Turf Wars, County Commissioners clash over synthetic turf installation at Blount High Schools last night. After arguing for hours the vote will be sent to the county commission next month by a vote of 14-6. Most of the argument was if we should rob Peter or Rob Paul. One of the no votes said we have bricks flying off the walls hitting kids in the head. That my friends is the actual reason Blount County Schools are in the mess their in and why parents want to get their kids out of there and send them to Maryville or Alcoa.

They were arguing the point of needing turf that they hold so many events on the football field and at the stadium and even included the Special Olympics and yet the stadium isn't even ADA compliant. That's a  larger issue than turf. Mold and not working AC and heating in classrooms are bigger issues than turf. Take care of the kids as a whole in regard to health and safety before you slap fake grass down. I love some high school football, don't get me wrong, but turf doesn't get you an education. Get your priorities straight. 

2 hours ago, ftbllfan23 said:

They were arguing the point of needing turf that they hold so many events on the football field and at the stadium and even included the Special Olympics and yet the stadium isn't even ADA compliant. That's a  larger issue than turf. Mold and not working AC and heating in classrooms are bigger issues than turf. Take care of the kids as a whole in regard to health and safety before you slap fake grass down. I love some high school football, don't get me wrong, but turf doesn't get you an education. Get your priorities straight. 

Honestly I never figured turf fields would ever get on the board with Blount County School System and then came Eagleton .Priorities should come first and it don't matter to me turf or grass. If your playing 15 weeks a year like Maryville , Oakland and Alcoa it has it's advantages. If you only do Eagleton you'll suck the blood right out of both Heritage and WB programs for eternity. Bricks falling off the buildings should have been taken care of under the original 100 million package but who knows , they may have waited to long and run out of money. I will be curious what kind of weight room facilities Eagleton will have. Will it be much nicer or will it resemble the Jim Clayton Mobil Home look a likes Heritage or WB got. That will tell the story what Eagleton was really built for.

11 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Honestly I never figured turf fields would ever get on the board with Blount County School System and then came Eagleton .Priorities should come first and it don't matter to me turf or grass. If your playing 15 weeks a year like Maryville , Oakland and Alcoa it has it's advantages. If you only do Eagleton you'll suck the blood right out of both Heritage and WB programs for eternity. Bricks falling off the buildings should have been taken care of under the original 100 million package but who knows , they may have waited to long and run out of money. I will be curious what kind of weight room facilities Eagleton will have. Will it be much nicer or will it resemble the Jim Clayton Mobil Home look a likes Heritage or WB got. That will tell the story what Eagleton was really built for.

When both WB and Heritage's programs were being ignored it was easy to write it off as the County just doesn't care. As you noted, with Eagleton on board, there is now a different dynamic. Not sure what the end game is but things have clearly changed since the decision to make Eagleton a high school with an athletic program. It sure seems as though there are ulterior motives at work that the public doesn't know about. 

6 minutes ago, camppack said:

When both WB and Heritage's programs were being ignored it was easy to write it off as the County just doesn't care. As you noted, with Eagleton on board, there is now a different dynamic. Not sure what the end game is but things have clearly changed since the decision to make Eagleton a high school with an athletic program. It sure seems as though there are ulterior motives at work that the public doesn't know about. 

I've heard inside brags that if all goes well there will be another school like it on the South Side of the county which is fine. I agree 100% what those schools are teaching, bout time.

1 hour ago, Solomon said:

Huh.

Almost like some high ranking local government person is an Eagleton guy.

Sounds about right. I guess the Mountaineer & Governor faithful did not realize that they are now both the red headed step child to the county and city school systems. :roflol:

However, could the county commission be thinking of a better plan than fields getting turf :popcorneater: