Forrest @ Cornersville

dawgswin

1 hour ago, GeneralForrest said:

Forrest, with only 1-2 exceptions in the last 10 years, is not afraid to hit. I was remembering some great backs and players that people said Forrest would struggle with:

Chris Hale- Eagleville (10-3 loss)
Zak Neary- Adamsville (26-7 loss)
Justin Winn - MTCS (49-14 win)  (Winn was a QB, but with ridiculous hype)
Luke Turner- Watertown (35-20 win)
DJ Taylor- Huntland (35-0 win)
Ty Love- Watertown (35-28 win)
Seth/Heath Price- Watertown (2 wins 2 losses)

There was a Columbia Academy kid in 2018 that was great. Tre Davidson? That was a 38-0 loss. CA was very good and Forrest had so much talent but got ran off the field by them, Watertown, and Lewis in a 3 game stretch that is still sickening to this day. 

The common theme above, well maybe there isn't one. Except to say that 1 player won't do it. If Cornersville is better than Forrest top to bottom, he will have a field day. If they arent, even if he gets 100 or so, Forrest still wins. 

Forrest is susceptible to the big play. They usually don't give up long drives. Eagleville's opening drive to start the second half last week was the most concerning part of that game. Well, besides getting Forrest's secondary filled out in general 

That’s a pretty darn good memory… impressive!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

Franklin ran for 120 against Richland.  The big question is, does he get that many against Forrest, or more? 

He went for 195 last year against Richland and had 35 against Forrest the next week. Richland's D has improved in 2022. Forrest's has not.

I don't want to give any helpful hints to the dawgs but why wouldn't you rest your star tailback on defense? I know he's a good defensive lineman but if he's gassed in the 4th you don't have a good tailback or a good lineman in crunch time. 

4 minutes ago, Salem said:

He went for 195 last year against Richland and had 35 against Forrest the next week. Richland's D has improved in 2022. Forrest's has not.

I don't want to give any helpful hints to the dawgs but why wouldn't you rest your star tailback on defense? I know he's a good defensive lineman but if he's gassed in the 4th you don't have a good tailback or a good lineman in crunch time. 

What did you think of Forrest's cardio last week. 

Just now, GeneralForrest said:

What did you think of Forrest's cardio last week. 

Wasn't an issue. We rotate 8-9 guys at offensive and defensive lines.  We have 6 running backs/ linebackers.  So we were fresh. We had running backs mad they only had 5-6 touches. We could have played 4 more quarters Friday. 

Eagleville and Cornersville only dress 30 guys and there's a big drop off in talent with the backups. Starters have to play both ways until they drop. Forrest and Richland both dress out 50 so we have a huge depth advantage if we weather the initial storm. 

5 minutes ago, Salem said:

Wasn't an issue. We rotate 8-9 guys at offensive and defensive lines.  We have 6 running backs/ linebackers.  So we were fresh. We had running backs mad they only had 5-6 touches. We could have played 4 more quarters Friday. 

Eagleville and Cornersville only dress 30 guys and there's a big drop off in talent with the backups. Starters have to play both ways until they drop. Forrest and Richland both dress out 50 so we have a huge depth advantage if we weather the initial storm. 

This in Coach Eli's favor. He and his staff have done well bringing up the middle schooler and keeping most of them in the program. Is that fair? I've ripped him for plenty. This seems like a good thing he's done. 

2 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

If Forrest struggles to win or loses here, they can forget being a 2A challenger this season. 2A might be wide open but they still need to be really good.

A close win, or loss this week, means Forrest is likely to fulfill scenario number 2 in my Eagleville recap, losing 3 or 4 games. 

Not to give any credit to Forrest but they lost to Cornersville last season and they ended up making a deep playoff run.  I don't think you can base the rest of the season off of one game (same thing I said about Cornersville last week).  Things change week in and week out and also remember these are high school kids and still learning new and exciting things each week.  Here is to hoping it is an injury free game for both teams and Go Dawgs!

2 minutes ago, WannaBeReferee said:

Not to give any credit to Forrest but they lost to Cornersville last season and they ended up making a deep playoff run.  I don't think you can base the rest of the season off of one game (same thing I said about Cornersville last week).  Things change week in and week out and also remember these are high school kids and still learning new and exciting things each week.  Here is to hoping it is an injury free game for both teams and Go Dawgs!

Richland and Moore Co are improved this year. Marion and ER beat us last year. We struggle with Cville, we are in danger of losing all 4 of those. Richland Forrest on 10/14 and Forrest M Pleasant on 10/28 could both be "for the region title" games. 

Just now, GeneralForrest said:

That's because it was a non-region game, our region was almost middle school level overall, and we had a 1 team playoff to get to semis. We lost that game. 

Whatever it may be, they still got that far in the playoffs.  Don't take anything away from the kids actually going out there and executing the plays.  Whether it was non-region or region has no bearing on what happened following that loss.  But here's to making it two in a row for the Dawgs!

21 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

This in Coach Eli's favor. He and his staff have done well bringing up the middle schooler and keeping most of them in the program. Is that fair? I've ripped him for plenty. This seems like a good thing he's done. 

It's trending in the right direction but we have much larger enrollments than the 1A schools we schedule.  He inherited a program with 65 plus players and only dressed 28 a year later. He seems to have mellowed but our program lost a ton of talented football players while he gained experience.  Numbers are coming up but I can name 10 kids walking the halls who could help this team in a big way. Our secondary would be stacked with just the younger brothers of former players who quit.  I don't think we have 8 seniors, we should have 20 . 

Not running off players who want to play football for their school isn't a reason for praise. Putting a disciplined, well prepared team on the field is. We passed that test in game 1; let's see if it continues. We have championship caliber players in the 8th and 9th grades at our school, this year should be used to determine if he has what it takes to coach them.