McMinn Central @ Tellico

charger05

32 minutes ago, charger05 said:

Central coming off an embarrassing loss and Tellico coming off a great come-from-behind victory. Who wins this one?

If central wants more than 2 wins this year this game is a must. I was rooting for central but realistically nobody outside of etowah thought  central was gonna have the season some of these posters thought.  They was not prepared for that game friday

18 hours ago, SHSguru said:

If central wants more than 2 wins this year this game is a must. I was rooting for central but realistically nobody outside of etowah thought  central was gonna have the season some of these posters thought.  They was not prepared for that game friday

These posters knew the talent on this team and Senior leadership rivaled the 14 season. They SHOULD have competed Friday night and they SHOULD have won 5-7 games. However, Friday night was an embarrassing showing from a coaching standpoint. Talent combined with this "all star" staff should render some results. Well..... they have and it wasn't good. This Friday will be another circus unless they can teach fundamentals of blocking, tackling, special teams play (which was atrocious), time management (2 delay of game penalties after tod on HC), game management, play calling (atrocious for the hype about this guy), defensive scheme (3-4 and stand up ends against a physical team? No edge set?), and competitive toughness (bc the team gave up down 14 pts) all in 3 days. Tall task but it can be done. If they can stop the Omar Miller show and contain Shafer then Central SHOULD win. Lose this one and you lose the team and community. Love all the fundraising and off the field community involvement but this is as good as the talent gets at central. Need to see results. I can handle losing 50-0 but not the way Central did it Friday. No fight, no pride, no effort. Young, inexperienced McMinn team. Imagine if this had been one of the better County teams? In 2020, it was 7-0 with 6 minutes left in the game. And that was a bad Central team. 

Rant over. Get it turned around with an easier test this week. Get us back on the rails and this season isn't lost. The district is down this year. So go get it!

Edited by gecko
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Bottom line: Forget last Friday night's scores..... Central is 0-1 and Tellico is 1-0.  The record of either team is irrelevant in this contest. 
I thought Central would lose to McMinn, but the Chargers still have enough talent and experience to have a good season. And I still believe they have a good coaching staff. They obviously need to clean up some things and I think the coaches need to challenge the Seniors to reflect and respond and be positive role models for the younger players in practice this week.
I know little about Tellico's team this year, though I know one of their assistant coaches. Their come from behind win over a larger-school county rival was huge for them. No doubt they want to win this game as much as Central does, especially since their former head coach is now the defensive coordinator at Central.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2022 at 8:25 AM, gecko said:

These posters knew the talent on this team and Senior leadership rivaled the 14 season. They SHOULD have competed Friday night and they SHOULD have won 5-7 games. However, Friday night was an embarrassing showing from a coaching standpoint. Talent combined with this "all star" staff should render some results. Well..... they have and it wasn't good. This Friday will be another circus unless they can teach fundamentals of blocking, tackling, special teams play (which was atrocious), time management (2 delay of game penalties after tod on HC), game management, play calling (atrocious for the hype about this guy), defensive scheme (3-4 and stand up ends against a physical team? No edge set?), and competitive toughness (bc the team gave up down 14 pts) all in 3 days. Tall task but it can be done. If they can stop the Omar Miller show and contain Shafer then Central SHOULD win. Lose this one and you lose the team and community. Love all the fundraising and off the field community involvement but this is as good as the talent gets at central. Need to see results. I can handle losing 50-0 but not the way Central did it Friday. No fight, no pride, no effort. Young, inexperienced McMinn team. Imagine if this had been one of the better County teams? In 2020, it was 7-0 with 6 minutes left in the game. And that was a bad Central team. 

Rant over. Get it turned around with an easier test this week. Get us back on the rails and this season isn't lost. The district is down this year. So go get it!

Were you at the game? Asking for a friend.

I think a lot of Central's issues are a lot of their fans, which affects community support.  The expectations are high for this team, but those expectations needed to be tempered to something reasonable.  Some of the Central fans who post here on CoachT here predicted the Chargers would beat McMinn, yet when Central lost they were the first ones on here criticizing the coaches and the team.  Eating crow isn't enjoyable, but some people helped prepare their own plate of it. 
As someone who's coached before I can assure you that sometimes everything falls apart on your team. Whether it be the plays you called or the schemes you put on the field, there are times they just don't work and it's hard to find an answer during the game. Central's coaches didn't just fall of the watermelon truck - they know their stuff and I guarantee you they were more confused and frustrated Friday night than the fans were. And yes, some of the blame falls squarely on the players on the field. There's no need attacking the players or coaches though, just because your pride was hurt.  You should expect better than what you saw from them against McMinn, and I'm sure every Central coach and player would agree with that statement. But let them do the self-reflection and examination as a team if you desire to see improvement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2022 at 4:11 PM, SHSguru said:

From what I seen central is a few touchdowns better than tellico, however it is a must win

Need to temper this line of thinking.  I have heard from some players and parents that they went into Friday night’s game overconfident and thought they had the size intimidation factor on their side.  Six of the eleven McMinn players on defense were All Area and All Region last year and all but the linebacker also play on offense.   Those guys have been battle tested against much bigger and better.  Everyone on the Central side should have know that and prepared for that game and every game this season with an underdog mentality.  I am rooting for Central but they have to play every down like the world is against them and they have a chip on their shoulder.  The mentality that we beat Sequoyah in the jamboree and Tellico barely beat them means we should win this game will get you beat.  Every play matters.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I predicted a close game based off what I heard about both teams. I go to games when I can, but I'm still a young man and work alot. So alot of what I hear is what I read or what I have discussed with others. I knew they werent  gonna beat Mcminn, but I  figured it be a game til about 3rd or 4th quarter then figured depth would take over from their from Mcminn. But I was absolutely wrong, didnt go to game but the score tells me all I need to know. Did they seem to just give up asking the people who was ther?

• Upvote 1