Perry Co. @ Dresden

HevyReturns

The first ever match between these schools. And the first Reg.6 game for them both this season. At 1-1 can the Vikings from waaaaaay down in Linden, TN invade Rotary Field and upset the 2-0 Lions? Almost everyone (incl’d me) will say Dresden will score as much as they want while holding the Vikings to probably negative yardage. And we’ll do so while playing non-starters for most of the game under a mercy-rule running clock. That’s what “everyone” predicts. BUT.. one never knows and strange, crazy things happen in all sports at all levels. Methinks no miracles though for the visitors, and I predict Dresden wins, maybe as bad as in the 60’s to zilch, zip, nada.. it’ll be vamoose for the visiting Vikings. No pillaging & plundering this Friday by these Linden invaders .. although (gulp), ALTHOUGH.. I must remind everyone that an underrated 7-4 Vikings team from Hillcrest Memphis came to Dresden & shut-out our then defending State Champions who went 15-0 in 2015 & had only one lose to Peabody before this playoff game in 2016..lots of big wins all year..  we were GIGANTIC, easy-win no-worries favorites then, just like we are now, but THEY won 6-0. SIX TO ZIP!!!! A never-forget reminder that any team can beat another team on any night. Period. EXCLAMATION POINT ! So Lions had better go all-out & give it their all, always, no let-ups! Which I’m confident we will!

Lions: A TON

Vikings: got ouchie spanking 

GO LIONS! #1 ALL THE WAY!

It's hard to compete against schools that have more than one high school in their county. That's been the problem with Perry County sports. Perry County has 8,300 total people living in a county that has 423 square miles of land. The town of Linden only has around 1,000. There is 290 or so kids in the high school. Dresden has 330 kids but they live in a county that has 35,000+ residents. It's a tough place to live here. There's one plant (NYX) that is still open. The Hospital closed when Covid hit and the main factory (Bates Fabricating) in Lobelville closing, there is hardly any jobs unless you are a small business owner, school teacher or if you work somewhere else that has a hospital/health care facility. The football program isn't what it used to be because we did not have a feeder system like Junior Pro from 2012-2017. However, since 2018, the Junior Pro program is back and running and there are 50+ kids on three teams. That's the most that Perry County Football has had in years. More kids are wanting to play. They play Fairview, Lewis County, Dickson, Lewisburg and Columbia plus a few more. They are making the playoffs and making the semi-finals. Their 8-9-10 year olds as long as they continue to develop or grow I believe Perry County will be competitive and hopefully be a threat again. But the team at the high school now has almost 40 kids, that's 20+ more kids that they had last year and the year before. This team is a lot better then last years team but instead of having kids that have played football since they were five, most of these kids didn't start playing until they were 11 or so. Dresden and McKenzie and Gleason and Huntingdon, etc, have a great tradition of football. Unlike Perry County where Basketball is king and football has only been around since 1997, everyone else's has been around since the 50's or 60's. It will be a tough game for the Vikings and Dresden players and fans can say or do whatever they want but this Viking team is starting the foundation that is helping the program get back to the day's of the 2000's. 

Edited by PCsupporter4life
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PCsupporter4life said:

It's hard to compete against schools that have more than one high school in their county. That's been the problem with Perry County sports. Perry County has 8,300 total people living in a county that has 423 square miles of land. The town of Linden only has around 1,000. There is 290 or so kids in the high school. Dresden has 330 kids but they live in a county that has 35,000+ residents. It's a tough place to live here. There's one plant (NYX) that is still open. The Hospital closed when Covid hit and the main factory (Bates Fabricating) in Lobelville closing, there is hardly any jobs unless you are a small business owner, school teacher or if you work somewhere else that has a hospital/health care facility. The football program isn't what it used to be because we did not have a feeder system like Junior Pro from 2012-2017. However, since 2018, the Junior Pro program is back and running and there are 50+ kids on three teams. That's the most that Perry County Football has had in years. More kids are wanting to play. They play Fairview, Lewis County, Dickson, Lewisburg and Columbia plus a few more. They are making the playoffs and making the semi-finals. Their 8-9-10 year olds as long as they continue to develop or grow I believe Perry County will be competitive and hopefully be a threat again. But the team at the high school now has almost 40 kids, that's 20+ more kids that they had last year and the year before. This team is a lot better then last years team but instead of having kids that have played football since they were five, most of these kids didn't start playing until they were 11 or so. Dresden and McKenzie and Gleason and Huntingdon, etc, have a great tradition of football. Unlike Perry County where Basketball is king and football has only been around since 1997, everyone else's has been around since the 50's or 60's. It will be a tough game for the Vikings and Dresden players and fans can say or do whatever they want but this Viking team is starting the foundation that is helping the program get back to the day's of the 2000's. 

Great post. You are correct, if the kids don't start young they are behind the other schools for sure when middle or HS rolls around. The same thing happened to Martin / Westview IMO when places like Goodyear closed down. School went from 3 or 4A down to 2A now. Granted they won the gold last year but they also had a generational talent at QB who was only there because his dad is UTM coach. Best of luck to Perry county after this Friday. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ysoangry said:

Great post. You are correct, if the kids don't start young they are behind the other schools for sure when middle or HS rolls around. The same thing happened to Martin / Westview IMO when places like Goodyear closed down. School went from 3 or 4A down to 2A now. Granted they won the gold last year but they also had a generational talent at QB who was only there because his dad is UTM coach. Best of luck to Perry county after this Friday. lol

I appreciate it. It's odd that they put PC in this Region. Should be us, McEwen, Wayne County, Collinwood, and Houston County all in a Region. I say Houston County because they are teetering on 1A and 2A. But nothing we can do but do the best we can. Our guys will do everything they can to compete. They can't help the fact that some of the most athletic kids in the school play basketball and the star Point Guard is playing for the first time ever this year. But they are great kids and some have bad home lives but football helps them to escape and just have fun. Even in the game at Hickman County, that was a game we should've won. We led Middleton 38-14 and was driving with our JV before one of the young guys fumbled and the Middleton starters took it back for a Touchdown. Vikings only gave up 118 yards of total offense and PC had 420+ yards total. This team will be better but they have alot of seniors unfortunately.

3 hours ago, PCsupporter4life said:

I appreciate it. It's odd that they put PC in this Region. Should be us, McEwen, Wayne County, Collinwood, and Houston County all in a Region. I say Houston County because they are teetering on 1A and 2A. But nothing we can do but do the best we can. Our guys will do everything they can to compete. They can't help the fact that some of the most athletic kids in the school play basketball and the star Point Guard is playing for the first time ever this year. But they are great kids and some have bad home lives but football helps them to escape and just have fun. Even in the game at Hickman County, that was a game we should've won. We led Middleton 38-14 and was driving with our JV before one of the young guys fumbled and the Middleton starters took it back for a Touchdown. Vikings only gave up 118 yards of total offense and PC had 420+ yards total. This team will be better but they have alot of seniors unfortunately.

I’m glad to see PC doing well this year. Should be a good game in Mcewen. 

5 hours ago, ysoangry said:

Talk about this kind of stuff the biggest change I ever saw in a program was when the h i s factory shut down in bruceton. They were a top notch program year in and year out and saw a swift decline in numbers and talent when they shut the doors 

• Like 1