Cookeville (1-1) @ Lebanon (2-0)

Alumn89

7 minutes ago, Alumn89 said:

Obviously looking at scores , it appears Lebanon will have their way with Cookeville.   Can anyone tell me more about the blue devils?   Can anyone give an old man hope that the cavs can hang around a while?  

Bold prediction here, Lebanon has the talent to play with the best in 6a… they played Oakland reasonably last year… Lebanon returned nearly every starter this season. Lebanon won’t ever have a team this stacked with talent ever again.

Cookeville gets trounced by 42.

28 minutes ago, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

Bold prediction here, Lebanon has the talent to play with the best in 6a… they played Oakland reasonably last year… Lebanon returned nearly every starter this season. Lebanon won’t ever have a team this stacked with talent ever again.

I’m not sure if I agree with you here. If Gentry keeps winning they should be pretty good for a while.

Lebanon has always had talent, but the problem is that most of them were walking the halls and not playing football.

Winning seems to change that!

6 minutes ago, H2Oman said:

I’m not sure if I agree with you here. If Gentry keeps winning they should be pretty good for a while.

Lebanon has always had talent, but the problem is that most of them were walking the halls and not playing football.

Winning seems to change that!

Lebanon will always have the better talent, it’s a  much more diverse part of the county. The thing they have working for them is it’s NOT a metro school lol so Gentry came along and you’re right converted many kids that were just walking the halls. Now they’re winning and only more kids will want to be apart of that.

Lebanon by however much. Seems like the wheels have fell off the Cookeville football Train couldn't believe how they played last year and from what I'm seeing and hearing from upper Cumberland Folks is that it's not gonna get much better. Wouldn't be surprised if after this year they play monterrey instead of upperman.

Hey hey...lets take it easy on my alma mater.   Lets just chill out and give this new coach some time to turn things around.  

There are many reasons that have been hashed out over and over on here as to why the "wheels have fell off". 

We have never and will never had the athletes to beat the  best teams in the state at the highest classification. That just is what it is with demographics and what not.  BUT we certainly have enough talent and bodies to compete and not get blown out like last year.  I think the new staff is taking some pride and changing things.  It will be a slow process and will take years obviously but I am optimistic. 

I do worry about our D stopping the blue devils. I'm afraid if the offense doesn't help the D out by sustaining drives and taking some time off, this could get ugly quick. 

20 hours ago, Speeding2Live said:

Lebanon wins this one pretty convincingly . With Maynard gone from Cookeville, Lebanon may keep their foot on the gas a little longer. I can't figure Cookeville out. What are they the 5th biggest public school in the state,  yet they seem to rarely compete in any sport. 

I wouldn't say any sport.    If you are referring to boys basketball and football i can see your point. But many other sports "compete" and even get close to winning. Baseball has done well in the recent past, soccer has a fairly good tradition. Cross Country is at the state meet every year.    Golf routinely sends teams and individuals to state.  Wrestling has had good success under coach Cook, etc..

Again like my post above, it comes down to demographics.  We are a rural area that chose to build one large high school (dumb) that made it hard to compete against murfreesboro, chattanooga, and now Wilson Co teams.     

It is what it is.   And now to make matters worse, some of those athletes have begun going to baxter and monterey for different reasons (newer school, coaching changes, etc) and that just adds to it.  

Go Cavs

On 8/29/2022 at 2:57 PM, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

My thoughts exactly on Lebanon. Extremely talented group. Will still take a lot to get past Oakland/Maryville. it they’ve got as good a shot this year as any