Oliver Springs @ Oneida

Spike016

On 9/7/2022 at 9:07 AM, Spike016 said:

The spread on this one is -20.5 Oneida. Y’all think that’s pretty accurate? Myself I am hopin for a 28-30 point win. 

One could say this spread was missed badly. Maybe the over/under on total points should’ve been 20.5 :lol:

Watched this one on YouTube. Talked to a friend from OS on their way home last night and he informed me they started 9 Freshman and Sophomore on defense last night… if that’s true then they will be TOUGH in the future. He also said they had 3-4 starters out, so I am thinking they may be a little better than what I previously thought after seeing the first 3 weeks of scores.

As for Oneida, I was not expecting that brand of football but they still found a way to buckle down inside the red zone and get stops. I don’t know much about who is out, but I can see them being fine in the long run with that passing attack. Gotta get better up front.

Overall, I would call it a sloppy game both ways but I do feel like this may just be the case when these 2 get together. Last time I watched these 2 teams play was a 4 OT slobber knocker a few years ago. Last night wouldn’t qualify as that, but I did enjoy the old fashioned defensive dominated football. 

Good luck to both teams the rest of the way.

Edited by SuperFan1

25 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

Not what I heard either 

I don’t think 77, 71, 54 (maybe not the number but 50-something on D line), 7, 2, 25 all played defense and I don’t think any of them are freshmen but I could be wrong. I actually got the impression they had quite a few seniors but not certain about that. 

Edited by crow

Os has 33 or so kids on the roster. 22 or so of them are freshman or sophmore. They are very young. Not sure of the starting rotation and number of fresh soph starters but i do know its heavy on the young side. They do have a substantial amount of injuries to some upper classmen notably the starting qb. The depth and size have been an issue so far this year and will continue to be. They play tough early and have for the first half of all 4 games. The discipline is lacking right now but alot of that can be attributed to youth as well. As for the 4 ot game it was definitely a slobber knocker and both teams were wiped out after that game. That was a great group at os but the coalfield and especially the greenback teams then were also great.

7 hours ago, bfl96 said:

Os has 33 or so kids on the roster. 22 or so of them are freshman or sophmore. They are very young. Not sure of the starting rotation and number of fresh soph starters but i do know its heavy on the young side. They do have a substantial amount of injuries to some upper classmen notably the starting qb. The depth and size have been an issue so far this year and will continue to be. They play tough early and have for the first half of all 4 games. The discipline is lacking right now but alot of that can be attributed to youth as well. As for the 4 ot game it was definitely a slobber knocker and both teams were wiped out after that game. That was a great group at os but the coalfield and especially the greenback teams then were also great.

Thx,good post.Almost identical to us.We have about 17 under classmen on a 33 or 35 man roster with 3 Srs.May be alot of tough battles in near future!

Edited by orngnblk

I got curious after I replied to this yesterday, so I started checking and my source was indeed correct. He actually may have told me less than what should’ve even been said. 22 of the 33 listed players on the TSSAA roster is Freshman and Sophomores. On defense they did start 9 Freshman and Sophomores and 7 on Offense.

Defense

DL- 58 (So.) 71 (So.) 77 (So.)

LB- 1 (So.) 15 (Fr.) 24 (Fr.) 25 (So.)

DB- 2 (So.) 7 (Jr.) 10 (Fr.) 44 (Jr.)

4 (So.) replaced 44 (Jr.) later in the game.

Freshman-3, Sophomores-6, Juniors-2, Seniors-0

Offense

Only 2 of the 6 seniors they have on the roster played and those both started on OL, but the rest of those guys up front were sophomores. The TE they started was a Freshman. The whole skill group was Sophomores except for 7 and 23 which were both Jr.’s.

Altogether I seen about 7 Freshman playing in the rotation and I was told one of the better one’s in that group (#3) wasn’t available Thursday night. I had overlooked this information in the early part of the season, but I must say that I am even more impressed with them than I was. For a young group, they really looked physical upfront at times on the broadcast. The new head coach may have something to build on as they continue to get better each week.

Edited by SuperFan1

7 hours ago, bfl96 said:

Great post and good insight. I will say the ending of the post was extremely true. I believe that was one of those years where that region was loaded. Take any of those teams and place them in this region today and they might mercy rule every team in it. I’m not trying to take away from any of these teams today, but there were a few years there were GB, CF, and OS were all contenders for a post season run.

One of my favorite things about 1A football is seeing how the talent pools at each school has highs and lows. I’ve always told people that these are the coaches that truly have to have a love for the game, because they may have a really good team one year and the next season be a 1-9 or 2-8 season.

Edited by SuperFan1

1 hour ago, SuperFan1 said:

I got curious after I replied to this yesterday, so I started checking and my source was indeed correct. He actually may have told me less than what should’ve even been said. 22 of the 33 listed players on the TSSAA roster is Freshman and Sophomores. On defense they did start 9 Freshman and Sophomores and 7 on Offense.

Defense

DL- 58 (So.) 71 (So.) 77 (So.)

LB- 1 (So.) 15 (Fr.) 24 (Fr.) 25 (So.)

DB- 2 (So.) 7 (Jr.) 10 (Fr.) 44 (Jr.)

4 (So.) replaced 44 (Jr.) later in the game.

Freshman-3, Sophomores-6, Juniors-2, Seniors-0

Offense

Only 2 of the 6 seniors they have on the roster played and those both started on OL, but the rest of those guys up front were sophomores. The TE they started was a Freshman. The whole skill group was Sophomores except for 7 and 23 which were both Jr.’s.

Altogether I seen about 7 Freshman playing in the rotation and I was told one of the better one’s in that group (#3) wasn’t available Thursday night. I had overlooked this information in the early part of the season, but I must say that I am even more impressed with them than I was. For a young group, they really looked physical upfront at times on the broadcast. The new head coach may have something to build on as they continue to get better each week.

The players I listed being sophomores is impressive. They don’t play like most sophomores do. I’m sure as 2 and 7 mature they’ll be better equipped to properly channel their emotions. We’re a very sophomore and junior heavy squad as well. Sometimes the younger kids that play significant snaps aren’t the best at controlling their emotions in the moment. If OS can avoid self destruction then they’ve got some really good ball ahead of them. Hopefully the new HC can keep them rolling. I told @orngnblk Friday that I was calling it now that OS would pull an upset before this season is over. I believe they’ll beat someone they “shouldn’t”. Don’t know who but I do believe that. 

2 minutes ago, crow said:

The players I listed being sophomores is impressive. They don’t play like most sophomores do. I’m sure as 2 and 7 mature they’ll be better equipped to properly channel their emotions. We’re a very sophomore and junior heavy squad as well. Sometimes the younger kids that play significant snaps aren’t the best at controlling their emotions in the moment. If OS can avoid self destruction then they’ve got some really good ball ahead of them. Hopefully the new HC can keep them rolling. I told @orngnblk Friday that I was calling it now that OS would pull an upset before this season is over. I believe they’ll beat someone they “shouldn’t”. Don’t know who but I do believe that. 

I pray we can play with them.

Side note.The Boyd/Knox Webb game in a few weeks will be a good one!

2 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

I pray we can play with them.

Side note.The Boyd/Knox Webb game in a few weeks will be a good one!

Oh you can play with them from a talent level no problem. Game planning between coaches will be interesting to see. If we didn’t have YAI I’d come watch this one. 

On 9/10/2022 at 7:53 AM, crow said:

Oneida definitely is not a sophomore and junior heavy squad.  Most of the time there are 8 or 9 seniors on the field on both sides of the ball.