MBA McCallie

Navy21412

MBA wins a thriller over McCallie, 23-20, with Johnothon Moore scoring the go ahead TD with 1:00 to go.  MBA sealed the victory with an int in the end zone with 6 seconds remaining.

But wow, I mean, Bravo to the Chattanooga refs, you guys really outdid yourselves with this one.  I know we have a problem in TN with a shortage of officials, so I really am loathe to criticize refs, but this was an absolute abomination.  9 penalties for MBA for 110 yards (which doesn't do justice to how many long gains they wiped out, including what should have been a go ahead 60 yard TD pass with 6:00 to play) versus 4 for 35 for McCallie.

Some highlights:

15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on our coach, for, after the refs refused to acknowledge him calling time out, running up to one of them to call time out

15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the team for "excessive celebration" after a fumble recovery in McCallie territory, because "players ran on the field from the sideline" um, the players in question were the offense, who I'm pretty sure have to be on the field for the game to resume

5 yard "offensive offsides"  Never heard of that one, but maybe they got confused and meant to say illegal procedure or illegal formation.  Nope, none of that happened.  Mystery call there

After big 3rd down conversion from Marcel Reed on a run into MCCallie territory, an obvious helmet to helmet targeting happens, with Marcel Reed's helmet ending up flying off.  Refs throw the flag, so we assume we have a first down, with 15 more to be added on.  Nope, what else but holding on us, and now our QB has to leave the game because his helmet came off.  So now we have 3rd and 20 at midfield with a back-up QB in the game  

I don't know what the final tally was on holding penalties called against us was (I lost count), but pretty amazing that McCallie, with basically an entire new O Line from last year, managed to not hold one time during the game.

Very proud of MBA for gutting out that win with that complete clown show.

19 hours ago, Navy21412 said:

MBA wins a thriller over McCallie, 23-20, with Johnothon Moore scoring the go ahead TD with 1:00 to go.  MBA sealed the victory with an int in the end zone with 6 seconds remaining.

But wow, I mean, Bravo to the Chattanooga refs, you guys really outdid yourselves with this one.  I know we have a problem in TN with a shortage of officials, so I really am loathe to criticize refs, but this was an absolute abomination.  9 penalties for MBA for 110 yards (which doesn't do justice to how many long gains they wiped out, including what should have been a go ahead 60 yard TD pass with 6:00 to play) versus 4 for 35 for McCallie.

Some highlights:

15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on our coach, for, after the refs refused to acknowledge him calling time out, running up to one of them to call time out

15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the team for "excessive celebration" after a fumble recovery in McCallie territory, because "players ran on the field from the sideline" um, the players in question were the offense, who I'm pretty sure have to be on the field for the game to resume

5 yard "offensive offsides"  Never heard of that one, but maybe they got confused and meant to say illegal procedure or illegal formation.  Nope, none of that happened.  Mystery call there

After big 3rd down conversion from Marcel Reed on a run into MCCallie territory, an obvious helmet to helmet targeting happens, with Marcel Reed's helmet ending up flying off.  Refs throw the flag, so we assume we have a first down, with 15 more to be added on.  Nope, what else but holding on us, and now our QB has to leave the game because his helmet came off.  So now we have 3rd and 20 at midfield with a back-up QB in the game  

I don't know what the final tally was on holding penalties called against us was (I lost count), but pretty amazing that McCallie, with basically an entire new O Line from last year, managed to not hold one time during the game.

It is always a treat for teams to go to McCallie.  Did they turn the music up when you guys were on offense?  The McCallie refs are a known thing.  Talked to folks from other teams and all have the same complaint.

6 hours ago, JRB said:

Navy- I saw that Reed was 8-26 passing.  Did he have an off night throwing the ball or did McCallie get a lot of pressure?

He had a rough night. Had a few balls dropped but not a great night throwing the ball. Mccallie didn’t really pressure him much that I recall like last year in the BCB. McCallie secondary is really good and made life difficult for MBA passing game. 

6 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

It is always a treat for teams to go to McCallie.  Did they turn the music up when you guys were on offense?  The McCallie refs are a known thing.  Talked to folks from other teams and all have the same complaint.

I didn’t hear the music. They did have an actual band which was fine.  To me it’s always Ensworth cranking the music non stop, including over the national anthem at MBA last year. 

7 minutes ago, Navy21412 said:

I didn’t hear the music. They did have an actual band which was fine.  To me it’s always Ensworth cranking the music non stop, including over the national anthem at MBA last year. 

I don't like the band or music being played while the opponent is on offense.  it's bad sportsmanship in my opinion.  get some fans who can cheer or just stop.  

• Upvote 1

On 9/3/2022 at 2:05 PM, Navy21412 said:

Some highlights:

Imagine this post if MBA would have lost the game. :-)