South Pittsburg vs Murphy (stone man against this Watson man)

Roy Dillard

59 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

Yes they told me the line coach left and acted as if he was as important or close as the HC leaving.My team is Greenback and we had 4 years in the Championship from 15 to 19 and then our coach got an offer he couldn't refuse and we are in a similar situation.We dont have the type players you all do year in and out but we usually hold our own,now we are trying to get back up but our bunch hired a coach with no big time ball experience and its hurting us badly.

LRDAO.  You fellars just ran out of outhouses to rent out.  You think im joking but im not.

1 hour ago, mbdfan said:

Murphy has a couple of young assistant coaches that have potential and are good guys.

Also I don't want it sound like I'm hating on Watson, I'm not. Watson knows football, he was/is a good offensive coordinator. But he just doesn't have the mindset or leadership qualities especially in terms of discipline to be the head man, the CEO, in my honest opinion. He also doesn't have anywhere near the staff Gentry did. 

When Gentry retired so did Murphy's longtime line coach (which has been a huge blow) and Murphy's long time d-coordinator left for a job in Georgia (another huge blow) those two were two of the best assistant coaches in NC 1A football. Those losses hurt just as much if not more than the loss of Gentry. Watson was dealt a rough hand to be fair to the guy.

Yeah, you guys lost a lot when Gentry retired. I don’t know all the details of the Nelson situation but I think administration screwed up letting him walk and that was a huge blow to the program and defensive identity. 

• Like 1

Just now, oneyewilly said:

Roy I went over to talk about this game on that Watson man's website and they are charging $9 a month just to talk about it. I garuntee you that coacht man better not start charging that 

Are you joking me? That is more than that Stewart man is charging for his book and pole and some people havent even got it.  You think im joking but im not.

6 hours ago, Appvol said:

I just think it’s really cool these 2 teams are playing. 2 schools traditionally that are the best in their state. Game like this only helps you get ready for the playoffs. Commander don’t use the speed thing. The SMC has heard this for years and years about how they are going to get ran of the field from the schools on the East side of the state. The SMC has over 30 state championships since 1972 when NC went to East vs West. You said something about atmosphere. I would say it’s hard to beat a Swain Murphy game on atmosphere. 

I’m not arguing with you, these are the two standards at the 1a level in each respective states. I live 20 minutes from Murphy here in the Basin, I respect their history and the SMC is a good conference where the teams will hit you in the mouth and not ask any questions. I think when they go against the East they hit them in the mouth and the East teams will lay down because they’re not used to it week in and week out. The Pirates have never not been a hard hitting team so I’m excited to see two hard hitters go at it. I’m not so sure about swain and Murphy, now Murphy and Robbinsville in recent years has been hostile environments. But I will say no one in the SMC has a cannon that fires after every touchdown. I played in many games in my time for Copper Basin and I will say I’ve never been more intimidated in my life than playing at the Beene there’s not many environments around like it. 

2 minutes ago, TheCommander said:

I see you and our old buddy MHS95 are too scared to post on here. You think I’m joking but I’m not lol.

They will SMC posters are pretty good. That’s why I have been on both sites for a long time. Now that you have a Rivals account you can post on this to.

https://forums.Unapproved Website/forums/college-football-soundoff.20/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheCommander said:

Yeah I’m not doubting there is some Murphy teams that could compete with South Pitt, I think last year if the game was played would’ve been a good ball game. I also stated early on the Murphy would compete early but the Pirates would break away eventually and win 35-14! I think the Murphy line will cause the Pirates some issues just because the Pirates are young.

Any of the Murphy teams from '08 to '20 could have competed with SP and some of those a lot more than just compete, if the two schools had played every year during that stretch no doubt Murphy would have some wins in there and the same obviously goes for South Pitt. It would've been a great series, it's really unfortunate the two waited this long to get together but I don't think that's a coincidence either. 

As far as last season goes Murphy had enough talent to get to at least the regional title game if not the state title game in my opinion and with the previous coaching staff they probably would have, but they really underperformed. I've talked to knowledgeable folks associated with other teams in our conference,  including one rival coach that agreed Murphy definitely had the most talent in the conference last season but didn't make the most of it. 

Now this year? the talent just isn't there this season for Murphy compared to years past and next year will be even worse in that respect. 

Edited by mbdfan