Tennessee AP 5A Poll

BruiseBrother98

45 minutes ago, RollRed said:

Some teams look good sitting on a 3-0 record haven’t even had a game yet. Weak schedules don’t pay off later down the road:popcorneater:

Yes and no....    Last year Boone had the toughest schedule in the state, not my opinion, it was documented and published by whoever does those things.    We started the season 1-5 and then finally started to get some wins.    And yet we got bounced in round 2, actually we got completely dismantled by Knox Central 41-7 in that game.    So how did how did having the toughest schedule in the state at the time pay off during the playoffs?       There is not a clear-cut answer, and there's lots of debate back and forth about playing a soft schedule.    Maybe for some teams it is better to play tough opponents week in and week out but I'm not sure that works for all teams across the board.    Not sure who your team is, maybe you have had an opposite experience on the scheduling issue, if so I'd enjoy seeing your perspective.

2 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Yes and no....    Last year Boone had the toughest schedule in the state, not my opinion, it was documented and published by whoever does those things.    We started the season 1-5 and then finally started to get some wins.    And yet we got bounced in round 2, actually we got completely dismantled by Knox Central 41-7 in that game.    So how did how did having the toughest schedule in the state at the time pay off during the playoffs?       There is not a clear-cut answer, and there's lots of debate back and forth about playing a soft schedule.    Maybe for some teams it is better to play tough opponents week in and week out but I'm not sure that works for all teams across the board.    Not sure who your team is, maybe you have had an opposite experience on the scheduling issue, if so I'd enjoy seeing your perspective.

The same can be said of a team finishing 10-0 and getting bounced in round one. I’m a fan of playing a tough schedule as it prepares you for the playoffs. 

• Like 1

I realize that Powell is down right now, but their losses have been to 2 very good teams (Maryville and Anderson County).    Maryville and AC are probably going to demolish most teams they play this year.     Not saying Powell should be in the top 10, I guess with 2 losses it's hard to put them in there now, but my gut feeling is that they are still a solid contender.   Perhaps someone closer to Powell's program can comment with more insight...

3 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

I realize that Powell is down right now, but their losses have been to 2 very good teams (Maryville and Anderson County).    Maryville and AC are probably going to demolish most teams they play this year.     Not saying Powell should be in the top 10, I guess with 2 losses it's hard to put them in there now, but my gut feeling is that they are still a solid contender.   Perhaps someone closer to Powell's program can comment with more insight...

Is Potts out for the season? That was my understanding. 

1 minute ago, eers said:

The same can be said of a team finishing 10-0 and getting bounced in round one. I’m a fan of playing a tough schedule as it prepares you for the playoffs. 

I get that, not necessarily disagreeing with you.     All I was saying is that Boone's playoff results are pretty much the same year in and year out regardless of if we play a tough or easy schedule.       Like I mentioned earlier this hard vs. easy could be dependent on each team, what works for one team may not work for another.     Who is your team and have you found a difference come playoff time based on their schedule?

1 minute ago, blazer1set said:

As far as Powell goes, we'll see. I think they'll be a top 10 team when all is said and done, but it all depends on whether or not they can actually get healthy. Potts played against Karns (surprisingly), but they didn't have their top 3 WRs. If they can get everyone back in time for the Clinton game in two weeks, I like their chances going forward.

7 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

I get that, not necessarily disagreeing with you.     All I was saying is that Boone's playoff results are pretty much the same year in and year out regardless of if we play a tough or easy schedule.       Like I mentioned earlier this hard vs. easy could be dependent on each team, what works for one team may not work for another.     Who is your team and have you found a difference come playoff time based on their schedule?

Beech and I prefer the tough schedule. By the time we get to the playoffs we’re tested and the kids don’t have the deer in the headlights look. Not trying to be negative here, but some teams are just going to have a lower ceiling than others. 

4 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

I totally understand where you are coming from Blazer. There seems to be the physics of FB and then the exceptions. I think your outside schedule should reflect the strength and weakness of your schedule. Strong District you can schedule down on the outside. Weak district schedule up. Before the most recent realignment both Anderson County and Greeneville were in very weak districts. Anderson scheduled outside weak and Greeneville tough. Both big records but it seemed like Mavs would be shell shocked.

realignment and the Mavs are now in a tougher D than the Devils and they have a nice outside schedule. It seems to be working for them. 

1 minute ago, osunut2 said:

As far as Powell goes, we'll see. I think they'll be a top 10 team when all is said and done, but it all depends on whether or not they can actually get healthy. Potts played against Karns (surprisingly), but they didn't have their top 3 WRs. If they can get everyone back in time for the Clinton game in two weeks, I like their chances going forward.

This team is completely different with a healthy Potts. 

11 minutes ago, eers said:

Beech and I prefer the tough schedule. By the time we get to the playoffs we’re tested and the kids don’t have the deer in the headlights look. Not trying to be negative here, but some teams are just going to have a lower ceiling than others. 

You're not being negative, this is just some good insightful discussion.     I totally get your point, Beech becomes a better team with a hard vs. easy schedule.    I suspect a lot of teams are that way, but then others play better teams, get beat down so much that they lose focus and interest.      There has to be a good balance for it to end up well.    You guys have sure had some great teams in recent years so I really appreciate the perspective.

28 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

You're not being negative, this is just some good insightful discussion.     I totally get your point, Beech becomes a better team with a hard vs. easy schedule.    I suspect a lot of teams are that way, but then others play better teams, get beat down so much that they lose focus and interest.      There has to be a good balance for it to end up well.    You guys have sure had some great teams in recent years so I really appreciate the perspective.

Thanks. I would say teams that have limited regular season success should lighten up on the out of region games. Perhaps build some confidence, build some winning tradition/school spirit, get more kids out, and THEN look at scheduling tougher opponents. No sense in scheduling opponents that you know are going to beat you down, just to say you play a tough schedule.