POWELL @ CLINTON

92Dragon

2 hours ago, 92Dragon said:

Is Powell coming into this game fairly healthy? 

And why do you feel like Powell's defense isn't very good? Personnel or scheme?

Nut's answer is pretty much on the money.  Powell just doesn't have the personnel in the front 7 to be a dominate defense.  But when their offensive skill guys are healthy, they don't have to be, and, in my observations (and that's all it is, since I don't have any direct ties with the program any longer) they are perfectly content winning 42-28 type games.  

Defensively they are good enough to slow the opposition down enough to get a couple more stops per game than the other team and have more scoring opportunities.  And as long as they can keep pressure off of Soles and Foust and let them make some plays defensively it's a win for their defense.  

And again, Nut's pretty much on it.  #22 is the only one still not back, as far as I know, although Potts is obviously still not 100%. but it's my understanding that he's not too awfully far from getting there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HTV said:

Nut's answer is pretty much on the money.  Powell just doesn't have the personnel in the front 7 to be a dominate defense.  But when their offensive skill guys are healthy, they don't have to be, and, in my observations (and that's all it is, since I don't have any direct ties with the program any longer) they are perfectly content winning 42-28 type games.  

Defensively they are good enough to slow the opposition down enough to get a couple more stops per game than the other team and have more scoring opportunities.  And as long as they can keep pressure off of Soles and Foust and let them make some plays defensively it's a win for their defense.  

And again, Nut's pretty much on it.  #22 is the only one still not back, as far as I know, although Potts is obviously still not 100%. but it's my understanding that he's not too awfully far from getting there.  

I noticed Potts only rushed the ball 4 times against Science Hill 

13 hours ago, 92Dragon said:

I noticed Potts only rushed the ball 4 times against Science Hill 

He didn't run very much against Karns either; maybe two or three times, tops. I think they are just trying to keep him out of harms way until he's 100%. Fortunately, Powell has been able to run the ball pretty effectively this season with #13 and #3, and with Potts' injury, they are a big reason why they aren't sitting at 0-4.

On 9/12/2022 at 12:44 PM, GaddyDaddy said:

We will see if they can handle us after this game. 

See it's quotes like this.  Gaddy are you wondering aloud if Powell can play with Oak Ridge?  There's no way Gaddy is an OR fan.  All he does is create bulletin board material for whoever we are playing.  In this case starting 2 weeks early.  Gaddy is not an OR fan.  Sorry bud, nice try.

I will take Powell by 20+.  The Clinton team is coming unraveled.  After the OR game on the way back to their locker room/busses it was ugly.  Players cussing players, coaches cussing coaches, coaches and players arguing.  Trust me it was loud and ugly scene on display.  Then last week,  fighting and unsportsmanlike calls there were several ejections and suspensions in the game against poor ole Cherokee High.  

Powell wins big, these are two teams heading in opposite directions. 

Edited by oridgecat

9 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

See it's quotes like this.  Gaddy are you wondering aloud if Powell can play with Oak Ridge?  There's no way Gaddy is an OR fan.  All he does is create bulletin board material for whoever we are playing.  In this case starting 2 weeks early.  Gaddy is not an OR fan.  Sorry bud, nice try.

I will take Powell by 20+.  The Clinton team is coming unraveled.  After the OR game on the way back to their locker room/busses it was ugly.  Players cussing players, coaches cussing coaches, coaches and players arguing.  Trust me it was loud and ugly scene on display.  Then last week,  fighting and unsportsmanlike calls there were several ejections and suspensions in the game against poor ole Cherokee High.  

Several ejections? Do tell.....

3 minutes ago, 92Dragon said:

Several ejections? Do tell.....

92, I was not there obviously, just repeating what I was told by a friend of mine from Clinton.  Did you go to the game?  Was there not fighting during the game that lead to ejections?  My friend is a lady with a son on the team and that's what she relayed to me.  She was there, so you tell me.  Either she made it up or it didn't happen.  lol

Edited by oridgecat
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, oridgecat said:

92, I was not there obviously, just repeating what I was told by a friend of mine from Clinton.  Did you go to the game?  

I believe there was 1 player from Clinton ejected because the ref said "he threw a punch", but you can see on film that a punch was never thrown. I'd say the coach will try to appeal. 

Anyway, I don't think Clinton is coming "unraveled'. Of course I can understand them being upset after the Oak Ridge game.  

Friday's game against Powell will clear up a lot of questions about Clinton. I personally don't think Clinton will win unless they can cut out the stupid penalties. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 92Dragon said:

I believe there was 1 player from Clinton ejected because the ref said "he threw a punch", but you can see on film that a punch was never thrown. I'd say the coach will try to appeal. 

Anyway, I don't think Clinton is coming "unraveled'. Of course I can understand them being upset after the Oak Ridge game.  

Friday's game against Powell will clear up a lot of questions about Clinton. I personally don't think Clinton will win unless they can cut out the stupid penalties. 

We feel your pain with the drive stopping penalties.  Just can't do that repeatedly and beat a good team.

I know the OR game was an emotional loss for a team that truly believed they were going to win, but that post game display was far far beyond "them being upset"  It was a public meltdown.  If you had seen and heard, what I did, I think you would agree. It was ugly.

11 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

We feel your pain with the drive stopping penalties.  Just can't do that repeatedly and beat a good team.

I know the OR game was an emotional loss for a team that truly believed they were going to win, but that post game display was far far beyond "them being upset"  It was a public meltdown.  If you had seen and heard, what I did, I think you would agree. It was ugly.

I'm sure I would've been embarrassed if I had heard all that bull butter.  Just take your loss like a man and move on is what I think about it.

8 hours ago, oridgecat said:

There was only one Ejection, it was appealed. No real fights, just pushing and shoving a little. The atmosphere around the Clinton Football program is still great! Don’t know what you heard at Oak Ridge, but I can understand!

• Like 1