POWELL @ CLINTON

92Dragon

Here it is week 5 already. Powell travels to Clinton for an important Region 3 5A matchup.

Once again, Clinton has an opportunity to prove they have finally turned the corner and closed the gap on the top tier teams. 

Will Clinton rise to the occasion, or will the lights still be too bright for them to handle? 

Thoughts and Predictions?

Powell isn't good defensively,  but they are getting their offensive weapons back and that running back spot that was a question mark coming in to the season has been more than answered. 

As long as they don't have another rash of injuries or a game where they turn it over 4/5 times they will be tough to outscore from here on out. 

Edited by HTV

On 9/10/2022 at 12:39 PM, HTV said:

Powell isn't good defensively,  but they are getting their offensive weapons back and that running back spot that was a question mark coming in to the season has been more than answered. 

As long as they don't have another rash of injuries or a game where they turn it over 4/5 times they will e tough to outscore from her on out. 

So do you think this might be one of those 41-38 type games?

I expect it to be lower scoring myself. I'd be surprised if the winner of this game scores more than 28.

Edited by 92Dragon

This is a big game for both teams, but bigger for Clinton as they have a Region loss already, The good news is they are playing in the friendly confines of Ron Brown Stadium. I think they need to be able to run the football to move against the Powell defense, giving the QB Keith some time when he does throw and ability to run himself and make plays. Potts will test the Dragon secondary and those tall receivers Powell has will be hard for the Dragon dbs to guard, That, I think will be the difference, while I would like Clinton to win, I think Powell wins by say 28-14.

On 9/11/2022 at 3:59 AM, 92Dragon said:

So do you think this might be one of those 41-38 type games?

I expect it to be lower scoring myself. I'd be surprised if the winner of this game scores more than 28.

No. Honestly don't see it ending up that close when the final horn sounds. 

11 minutes ago, 92Dragon said:

Is Powell coming into this game fairly healthy? 

And why do you feel like Powell's defense isn't very good? Personnel or scheme?

They were almost at full strength against Science Hill. I'm not sure if I missed anyone else, but #22 was still out; he's their best DB and probably their #3 WR (slot/possession WR). 

As far as the defense goes, I think they get pushed around way too easily. It was the same way in 2020 before Nolen showed up. That's the one thing Matt has lacked since he came back to Powell - beef at DT. Some of it is probably scheme, but it doesn't help that they are undersized up the middle. They've got some talent at DE (#6 is the real deal) and OLB, but they are very soft up the middle. AC, Maryville, Karns, and SH all were able to run the ball between the tackles without a lot of resistance.

That's definitely the Achilles heel of this team, and if they don't improve there, they won't get very far in the post-season.

1 hour ago, 92Dragon said:

Is Powell coming into this game fairly healthy? 

And why do you feel like Powell's defense isn't very good? Personnel or scheme?

Not sure what he'll say, but to me,  it doesn't seem like Powell ever practices defense. If they hadn't had the best defensive player in Tennessee (when he wanted to be) move in last year, they wouldn't been nearly as good on defense. This year, and beyond, those types of guys won't be moving into the Powell area...they'll be going to Bearden. I actually want Clinton to win this game (I'm never for Clinton), but since we've already beaten Clinton, it's good for us if they win the rest of their district games!