Predictions for Boone vs Science Hill?

NETNSportsFan

32 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

You always hear things like "Well no wonder ______ has a winning program, they have the $$$ to build all the nice facilities with all the latest _____ ..... "        Do you guys think it takes a lot of $$$ being funneled into the school to create a consistently winning program?      So when a school nobody has ever heard of comes out of nowhere to make some noise in the playoffs or even win it is that just a fluke?

I believe it takes a whole community to make a winning program and that money isn't the key to success. (Does money hurt, heck no).  You have to have support from the School Board, Community, and also a Coach that will hold everyone accountable and kids that are willing to work.  I keep on using Greeneville as an example since i'm very familiar with the program.  Greeneville has always been relatively competitive program and didn't have the facilities until they started to redo everything starting with the 2007 season (Remodeled Weight room with new equipment), 2008 Turf was put in and renovations started on the field, this year we have a Jumbotron that is going in and a redid the old score board.  Everyone bought in starting in 2007 and went from a losing season the year before to top 4 teams in 4a (when there were 5 classifications) and a conference championship.  It has just gotten better since then and glad the support all sports have now at Greeneville. (It's help bring more state championships to Greeneville in all sports since that change was made) and can argue since then that Greeneville has won more state championships than anyone else in NE Tennessee over that span.

Swipes with the wisdom. Unfortunately we do not do that at AC quite like that.  We have a decent feeder program that does well but I've never seen hs coaches there.  If a parent had money,  influence or power the AD and (some of) the staff bends over backwards to appease them and cover for thier kids misdeeds. There's not a lot of sharing athletes and AFAIK it isn't encouraged. Maybe a couple play Basketball or baseball.  See my above post.  If our middle school program goes away,  our hs program will fold.  

I'll add this.  Our middle school coach is a good dude and loves all athletes at the school.  He loves football but isn't shy about giving love and support to other kids in other sports.  He's what I wish for in an AD. 

Edited by FormerMav

3 minutes ago, FormerMav said:

Swipes with the wisdom. Unfortunately we do not do that at AC quite like that.  We have a decent feeder program that does well but I've never seen hs coaches there.  If a parent had money,  influence or power the AD and (some of) the staff bends over backwards to appease them and cover for thier kids misdeeds. There's not a lot of sharing athletes and AFAIK it isn't encouraged. Maybe a couple play Basketball or baseball.  See my above post.  If our middle school program goes away,  our hs program will fold.  

I taught and coached 15 years at GHS and another 16 years there as an administrator. I principal Swipes. He was a very fine young man, student and athlete. Almost all the GHS players are multi sports athletes. Yet they lift weights. The biggest misnomer is weights win football games, athletes who play multiple sports and lift weights win football game. A Maryville coach told me 20 years ago a player who benched 350 without good feet, good hands and a competitive spirit is like an aircraft carrier without airplanes.

11 minutes ago, FormerMav said:

I'll add this.  Our middle school coach is a good dude and loves all athletes at the school.  He loves football but isn't shy about giving love and support to other kids in other sports.  He's what I wish for in an AD. 

Greeneville starts at the ground up and most kids grow up playing from 6 years old wanting to be a Greene Devils.  A lot of former Greeneville Players that are Dad's now Coach the youth leagues and have a concept of how everything is ran from the middle school up (So they are learning the system from when they start).  The Middle School is Coached by former players also that have came through the system and bleed Greene and White through and through.

Greeneville doesn't discourage playing multiple sports and would say that most if not all kids play more than one sport. (I personally played football, baseball, and basketball when i was at GHS). Most Football players are playing Baseball, Basketball, Wrestling, or Track. Other sports support other sports so if there is a game a student section will be there rather that be Volleyball, Soccer, Baseball, etc.  It's a whole community thing and once a Greene Devil always a Greene Devil

2 hours ago, noonesfool said:

I wasn’t going to mention them, but yes. Every dollar raised for sports in Greeneville went to sports. Improvements in sport facilities was a cooperation between the school system and city hall which meant it was tax dollars or the generosity of well healed benefactors.

I couldn’t help but mention that because these schools have been blessed with great coaches and other great benefactors that generously help with there sport programs.

11 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

I taught and coached 15 years at GHS and another 16 years there as an administrator. I principal Swipes. He was a very fine young man, student and athlete. Almost all the GHS players are multi sports athletes. Yet they lift weights. The biggest misnomer is weights win football games, athletes who play multiple sports and lift weights win football game. A Maryville coach told me 20 years ago a player who benched 350 without good feet, good hands and a competitive spirit is like an aircraft carrier without airplanes.

I appreciate that Coach!  You are right no matter the sport the athletes are in the weight room and thats not just football players ether working on their craft to be the best they can be at sports.  It's also helped with less athletes getting injuries and doesn't hurt that the training staff at Greeneville is top notch.

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

Luckily for Greeneville we have those well healed benefactors that have help shape Greeneville's Facilities into a top notch program.  Some might have played for the Greene Devil's back in the day and also have and had kids come through the program.  I'm so glad the Community Supports the Sports program the way they do no matter if it's a home or away game (Oak Ridge last week was a key example with us having more fans than they did at an away game even though we are a smaller school)

Betsy fans have always supported there program as well and I will never forget the crowd we had at the 2019 State Championship game.

I know at times I sound like sour grapes for my school,  I just see it for what it is and don't try to hide the flaws. Only way it gets fixed is to shine a light on it.  We certainly have the potential to get to that level but there's too much focus only on football. It's caused fractures that no one wants to admit exist.  Our MS coach is awesome.  

I know this thread has gotten off topic so I'll try to get it back on track.  This week be a real test for the Boone defense. The level of competition is going to be higher with SH but Boone has been very consistent on D. That's the storyline I'm most interested in.  

25 minutes ago, FormerMav said:

I know at times I sound like sour grapes for my school,  I just see it for what it is and don't try to hide the flaws. Only way it gets fixed is to shine a light on it.  We certainly have the potential to get to that level but there's too much focus only on football. It's caused fractures that no one wants to admit exist.  Our MS coach is awesome.  

I know this thread has gotten off topic so I'll try to get it back on track.  This week be a real test for the Boone defense. The level of competition is going to be higher with SH but Boone has been very consistent on D. That's the storyline I'm most interested in.  

FM, no apology needed. Actually this game is over with a W for Boone. It is frustrating when a program is on the verge of another level and insiders are blind to the little, but significant things which could make it fly.

Ballard coached at Maryville before we hired him and he had a vision even as a young assistant coach. Witten a great coach with very good teams looked to Greeneville as a model. (Dang!) it’s sorta like Saban, he can be accused of many things but he is always changing and taking the best ideas and coaches from wherever he can get them. In that regard, he is very humble man and Coach. Humility can go along way in coaching.

Edited by noonesfool

20 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

FM, no apology needed. Actually this game is over with a W for Boone. It is frustrating when a program is on the verge of another level and insiders are blind to the little, but significant things which could make it fly.

Ballard coached at Maryville before we hired him and he had a vision even as a young assistant coach. Witten a great coach with very good teams looked to Greeneville as a model. (Dang!) it’s sorta like Saban, he can be accused of many things but he is always changing and taking the best ideas and coaches from wherever he can get them. In that regard, he is very humble man and Coach. Humility can go along way in coaching.

Yeah,  I haven't had enough coffee yet.  I knew that the game was over,  just got caught up in the conversation.  I even posted something in the 4a section earlier about Boone and thier defense. 

3 minutes ago, FormerMav said:

Yeah,  I haven't had enough coffee yet.  I knew that the game was over,  just got caught up in the conversation.  I even posted something in the 4a section earlier about Boone and thier defense. 

Boone's defense and/or special teams have scored TD's and/or safeties in every game this year, that is what has kept us going.   When the offense is clicking it looks good but there is way too much inconsistency.   It's really hard for an average high school team to have every phase of the game at the top level....

• Upvote 1