Bearden Bull Dogs Come Hunting For Undefeated 8-0 Ella and the AC Mavericks!

1 hour ago, FormerMav said:

If I was to break them down I'd say this. 

Elizabethton did a good job of scheming and used some timely big pass plays. They could chew up clock and limit possessions for AC which means AC had to be very efficient with possessions.  AC came out a bit flat  thinking they had it in the bag. They had to wake up.  That's hard to do against a good team,  which we all agree Elizabethton is. 

Against Rhea county it was a turnover fest. AC was clearly better but offensively and defensively  were out of kilter big time.  Nick Moog had some really uncharacteristic fumbles which led to scores by Rhea county on a short field.  Rhea county isn't bad but they're not really good either.  They are young but have potential.  If we play like that against better teams we absolutely lose. I can't remember but wasnt it like 4 or 5 turnovers?  3 of them were on consecutive possessions I think too. I know the one to start the 2nd half we got the ball and fumbled it on our side on play 2 or 3 to start the half. This is HS football with 12 minute quarters we are taking about so a lot less time and fewer possessions than college. That means every possession takes on  extra significance.  

But, they kept grinding and got the win.  In the past I've seen them fold in those circumstances.  2 or 3 years ago,  I think... we played Greenville at AC. It wasn't a bad game but a few breaks went against AC. Once they started playing Greenville from behind it got exponentially worse for AC. I watched players start to panic and try to hard to make a play.  One play in particular stands out. We were behind and had forced a punt. Our player had no business trying to catch the ball but he and the team felt the pressure to make something happen.  He tried to field the ball to run it instead of letting it go (we'd have ended up with it on our 20 yd line or so). He fumbled the catch, GV recovered and scored a couple plays later from a short field. The final score was a pretty good margin but AC was in that game for a while.  

I bring all that up to say that in  those wins against Elizabethton and Rhea county AC didn't show the same panic or desperate play I've seen before.  There was frustration but for the most part,  they played through that and executed.  That's what I mean by valuable lessons learned.  

That is an extremely fair assessment of what Ive seen so far. 

35 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

what D1 players are you referring too?  I still say Greeneville goes to state.  They have so much depth, playing guys only 1 way in the lines of scrimmage.  They have about 30 lineman in their big guys group.  They rotate guys in and out on both lines keeping them fresh for 4qtr.  My $ on Greeneville.  

Ole Cotton, West would demolish the Cows.  

Olecotton is a troll imitating a coach from AC 

36 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

what D1 players are you referring too?  I still say Greeneville goes to state.  They have so much depth, playing guys only 1 way in the lines of scrimmage.  They have about 30 lineman in their big guys group.  They rotate guys in and out on both lines keeping them fresh for 4qtr.  My $ on Greeneville.  

Ole Cotton, West would demolish the Cows.  

AC has 2 players with D1 Offers. Gavin Noe who commited to Navy and Bryson Vowell a WR who has several D1 offers Tennessee Tech, UT Martin, Memphis etc... his largest one being Iowa. But other than those 2 they don't have any D1 talent. 

52 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Go Dawgs!  Bring Cows back down to Earth.  AC are not as good as they will tell you they are.  

It's a few fans that have tied their ego to the success of the program. Much of that due to the way the AD handles things.  

Many of us are pretty level headed.  My personal opinion is that AC is somewhere in between OR and GV. I don't know if AC would put a running clock on OR but they would beat them by 3 scores minimum.  

I think GV has an edge on AC due to line depth though.  If we could clone a couple more Eli Nelson's and Jaden Bullocks we'd be great.  AC is pretty solid at most skill positions.  (I hate that term, linemen are skill positions too). 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FormerMav said:

It's a few fans that have tied their ego to the success of the program. Much of that due to the way the AD handles things.  

Many of us are pretty level headed.  My personal opinion is that AC is somewhere in between OR and GV. I don't know if AC would put a running clock on OR but they would beat them by 3 scores minimum.  

I think GV has an edge on AC due to line depth though.  If we could clone a couple more Eli Nelson's and Jaden Bullocks we'd be great.  AC is pretty solid at most skill positions.  (I hate that term, linemen are skill positions too). 

Well said.  

3 minutes ago, Mavericksinflight said:

I think OR Cat will eat some words. He better worry about DB and God forbid CCHS beating OR...but I take the bet. I don't believe AC has showed their real potential. We shall all see soon!

Ooooh eat some words.  Ha Ha.  I'm not going to DB expecting to win.  I'm hoping we can hang around, maybe capitalize on few DB mistakes,  hopefully make a good game out of it.  But I do think we will beat CC, their defense is just gawd awful and ours is pretty darn good.  That will be the difference.   You are right about one thing.  We are certainly about to find out if AC is as good as you and others say they are.  I am taking Greeneville to win it all.