Bearden Bull Dogs Come Hunting For Undefeated 8-0 Ella and the AC Mavericks!

23 minutes ago, FormerMav said:

The thing to watch and take away from this game for AC fans is the line play.  Can we consistently control the line of scrimmage against the Bulldogs? I think athlete wise we match up well enough.  Can we make it 4 quarters of play with good line play on both sides?  I personally don't think we do but our skilled position guys can,  and have,  bailed us out before. If we win,  it will be because we win with skill positions, good schemes and force them early to play catch up.  

We have some good, maybe really good linemen. We just don't have enough depth to substitute and go 4 quarters.  

As for all the other stuff,  my thoughts on east Tennessee teams are in another thread, most of you have read them.  I see no reason to change anything yet but I'll add one thing.  Forcing other teams to play catch up... that forces a lot of teams into unfamiliar situations and exponentially increases chances for mistakes,  like turnovers. This is especially true at the HS level.  I've been critical of AC when needed but they have shown a remarkable ability to successfully  play from behind this season.  That could come in handy in the play off session.  

Good post fm. Actually better than good.

On 10/14/2022 at 10:37 PM, Mavericksinflight said:

West handled Bearden early and often and the Mavs likewise in preseason. Albeit, West is an Animal and unless something changes, I say, no one comes close. I think they have handled two of the best in unbelievable fashion; I may be wrong. but West appears to be unstoppable!

Unless we played them. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/17/2022 at 8:17 PM, FormerMav said:

The thing to watch and take away from this game for AC fans is the line play.  Can we consistently control the line of scrimmage against the Bulldogs? I think athlete wise we match up well enough.  Can we make it 4 quarters of play with good line play on both sides?  I personally don't think we do but our skilled position guys can,  and have,  bailed us out before. If we win,  it will be because we win with skill positions, good schemes and force them early to play catch up.  

We have some good, maybe really good linemen. We just don't have enough depth to substitute and go 4 quarters.  

As for all the other stuff,  my thoughts on east Tennessee teams are in another thread, most of you have read them.  I see no reason to change anything yet but I'll add one thing.  Forcing other teams to play catch up... that forces a lot of teams into unfamiliar situations and exponentially increases chances for mistakes,  like turnovers. This is especially true at the HS level.  I've been critical of AC when needed but they have shown a remarkable ability to successfully  play from behind this season.  That could come in handy in the play off session.  

But isn't it true that those come from behind games came from marginal Teams? I know as of today that Betsy is playing above average right now and is on a mission.  AC/Betsy game 1 was iconic due to wholes that Betsy schemed for and against.  Again, can AC truly play from behind and be a complete 4 qtr Team?

55 minutes ago, Morice49 said:

But isn't it true that those come from behind games came from marginal Teams? I know as of today that Betsy is playing above average right now and is on a mission.  AC/Betsy game 1 was iconic due to wholes that Betsy schemed for and against.  Again, can AC truly play from behind and be a complete 4 qtr Team?

IMO and like anyone, I could be wrong. But with the caliber of players D1 etc.. the Mavs have no question in my mind if they play there ability and limit there turnover, going forward they should be on top when football season is all over, said and done. There is a lot of variables that play into that, good and bad but smart aggressive football on defense will make the difference. 

Go Mavs we are looking up to the Stars! The sky is the limit!

Edited by Mavericksinflight

1 hour ago, Morice49 said:

If I was to break them down I'd say this. 

Elizabethton did a good job of scheming and used some timely big pass plays. They could chew up clock and limit possessions for AC which means AC had to be very efficient with possessions.  AC came out a bit flat  thinking they had it in the bag. They had to wake up.  That's hard to do against a good team,  which we all agree Elizabethton is. 

Against Rhea county it was a turnover fest. AC was clearly better but offensively and defensively  were out of kilter big time.  Nick Moog had some really uncharacteristic fumbles which led to scores by Rhea county on a short field.  Rhea county isn't bad but they're not really good either.  They are young but have potential.  If we play like that against better teams we absolutely lose. I can't remember but wasnt it like 4 or 5 turnovers?  3 of them were on consecutive possessions I think too. I know the one to start the 2nd half we got the ball and fumbled it on our side on play 2 or 3 to start the half. This is HS football with 12 minute quarters we are taking about so a lot less time and fewer possessions than college. That means every possession takes on  extra significance.  

But, they kept grinding and got the win.  In the past I've seen them fold in those circumstances.  2 or 3 years ago,  I think... we played Greenville at AC. It wasn't a bad game but a few breaks went against AC. Once they started playing Greenville from behind it got exponentially worse for AC. I watched players start to panic and try to hard to make a play.  One play in particular stands out. We were behind and had forced a punt. Our player had no business trying to catch the ball but he and the team felt the pressure to make something happen.  He tried to field the ball to run it instead of letting it go (we'd have ended up with it on our 20 yd line or so). He fumbled the catch, GV recovered and scored a couple plays later from a short field. The final score was a pretty good margin but AC was in that game for a while.  

I bring all that up to say that in  those wins against Elizabethton and Rhea county AC didn't show the same panic or desperate play I've seen before.  There was frustration but for the most part,  they played through that and executed.  That's what I mean by valuable lessons learned.  

1 hour ago, Mavericksinflight said:

IMO and like anyone, I could be wrong. But with the caliber of players D1 etc.. the Mavs have no question in my mind if they play there ability and limit there turnover, going forward they should be on top when football season is all over, said and done. There is a lot of variables that play into that, good and bad but smart aggressive football on defense will make the difference. 

Go Mavs we are looking up to the Stars! The sky is the limit!

what D1 players are you referring too?  I still say Greeneville goes to state.  They have so much depth, playing guys only 1 way in the lines of scrimmage.  They have about 30 lineman in their big guys group.  They rotate guys in and out on both lines keeping them fresh for 4qtr.  My $ on Greeneville.  

Ole Cotton, West would demolish the Cows.