Richland hosts Adamsville

Richland22

23 hours ago, Savant said:

Richland was up by one when they scored on 3rd and 5.  Once they got the first down the game was over if he wouldn’t have scored! The runner Should have went down and then all Richland had to do was take two kneel downs because Adams was out of time outs.  Game over. Very poor coaching. 

But they did score and instead of kicking an extra point that would have put them up 8-  they faked it and only went up 7 - another bad call / either go for two and put them away or kick PAT and make them tie for overtime with a two point conversion. 

Then richland kicked off up by 7 to one of adams best players (poor coaching) and he ran it to like the Richland 15 with a minute left, adams completed a pass then run for td then run for two point and then Richland muffed the squib kickoff and started with horrible field position 

adams got td and 2 point to go up and eventually win by one - when there was no reason they should have ever seen the ball again.  Can’t believe no one else saw that… game was over…

its amazing how much common sense stuff is completely missed by high school coaches. the average IQ is about 85. this post outlines some stuff that is a little more subtle and some (going for two when a PAT makes it an 8 point game), after your kids have bled for you all year, calls for firing on the spot. 

23 hours ago, Rocketboy21 said:

So you think a high school kid in the heat of the moment would think to go down and not score? I’ve never seen a high schooler go down instead of score. Also if you can’t cover a kickoff you’re not set to be a good team. You can’t blame coaching if the players just can’t over a kick 

if you kick to their best returner i absolutely can blame the coach. the kid shouldnt have to think. they should be told run the clock out by the coach. it's not difficult. basketball coaches in timeouts talk about timeouts and what to do, yet in football we are to assume that a kid just has to wing it with decision making. 

2 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

if you kick to their best returner i absolutely can blame the coach. the kid shouldnt have to think. they should be told run the clock out by the coach. it's not difficult. basketball coaches in timeouts talk about timeouts and what to do, yet in football we are to assume that a kid just has to wing it with decision making. 

I think that special teams play is mostly unaddressed by HS coaches General. Time management is critical when running a team at this level due to TSSAA regulations and class schedules during the week, as well as head coaching duties not related to on field performance (travel, field maintenance, finances, ect...).  Most HC's specialize in either offense or defense while placing a lot of responsibility for the other with a coordinator, and the kicking game is sort of an afterthought...keeping in mind that everything connected to the program is theirs to own and that really good assistant coaches are at a premium, I'd think that with some of the no-brainer stuff (equipment, field care, ect...) a list of duties and rough schedule could be handled by student managers, and at least a little more effort could be expended for something that has the potential to change the flow of a game on one play.

high school football coaches are miserable at clock management. if its a tight game late, its almost a given that either the winning team wont manage the clock correctly, or the losing team won't preserve time correctly, or both.  i see your points but blaming administrative duties for lapses in elemental stuff like clock management is crapola

9 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

its amazing how much common sense stuff is completely missed by high school coaches. 

On 11/5/2022 at 8:45 AM, Savant said:

Richland was up by one when they scored on 3rd and 5.  Once they got the first down the game was over if he wouldn’t have scored! The runner Should have went down and then all Richland had to do was take two kneel downs because Adams was out of time outs.  Game over. Very poor coaching. 

But they did score and instead of kicking an extra point that would have put them up 8-  they faked it and only went up 7 - another bad call / either go for two and put them away or kick PAT and make them tie for overtime with a two point conversion. 

Then richland kicked off up by 7 to one of adams best players (poor coaching) and he ran it to like the Richland 15 

Great points. That's exactly how I saw the game. Don't worry Richland, your region brothers up the road have had their season ended 2 out of the last 3 years in similar fashion. As the General likes to say COACHING MATTERS! In the last 4 seasons Region 6 has coached circles around Region 5. 

On 11/5/2022 at 9:05 AM, Rocketboy21 said:

So you think a high school kid in the heat of the moment would think to go down and not score? I’ve never seen a high schooler go down instead of score. Also if you can’t cover a kickoff you’re not set to be a good team. You can’t blame coaching if the players just can’t over a kick 

In November you can count on fall foliage, pumpkin spice, and Region 6 teams outcoaching Region 5 teams in playoff games. After a timeout if you're a coach from 8U on up and the above situation applies, you tell your offense and running backs two things. First - DO NOT RUN OUT OF BOUNDs.  Second - get the first down and GO DOWN - DO NOT SCORE! The worst thing that happens is we're running the clock down under 40 seconds and punting them deep in their territory. I would be shocked if Adamsville didn't let him score. This happens all the time in high school through the NFL.

The two point call - I have no  problem going for two and going up by 9 and ending the game if you call an actual play.   A trick play trying to clown Adamsville was stupid. Just line up and run a play if you're going for 2.  

The kickoff to their tailback. Terrible decision. 

6 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

high school football coaches are miserable at clock management. if its a tight game late, its almost a given that either the winning team wont manage the clock correctly, or the losing team won't preserve time correctly, or both.  i see your points but blaming administrative duties for lapses in elemental stuff like clock management is crapola

You misunderstood...I'm saying that preparing for in game situations should be a higher priority than mundane tasks that head coaches all have to account for. Uniforms have to be washed, referees have to be hired, and grass has to be cut, but none of those have an impact on W's or L's at seasons end. Delegate those duties out and focus on "little" things that matter, if only a few snaps a game. Most decent coaches DO inform players about in-game situations in the moment, but there's no substitute for running it in practice for just minutes a day and making it second nature rather than relying on 16 year olds to retain what you yell from the sideline.

23 hours ago, tradertwo said:

You misunderstood...I'm saying that preparing for in game situations should be a higher priority than mundane tasks that head coaches all have to account for. Uniforms have to be washed, referees have to be hired, and grass has to be cut, but none of those have an impact on W's or L's at seasons end. Delegate those duties out and focus on "little" things that matter, if only a few snaps a game. Most decent coaches DO inform players about in-game situations in the moment, but there's no substitute for running it in practice for just minutes a day and making it second nature rather than relying on 16 year olds to retain what you yell from the sideline.

good stuff.