Mr Football Semifinalist 1A

Doc931

5 hours ago, ladykee said:

Speaking of “orange & black”, orange always before black in Cherokee country, here’s a fun tidbit. 12 of the past 15 years an orange & black team represented the east in the championships. SP 7 of those years, followed by GB with 4, and Coalfield with 1. Interesting! This season, SP & Coalfield are still in the running.

There is a reason some teams suffer from chrysophobia & melanophobia, the irrational fear of orange & black.

7 hours ago, ladykee said:

Well believe it! My sons played them in semis in 2016, 2017 & 2019. SP is a perineal deep state threat every year with solid teams along with at least 1-3 star players. They often have backups that would start on many a team across the state. They were our playoff rivals many a year, with little love lost between the two, but I must attest to the number of standout players over the years.

I agree SP always reloads. I unfortunately never met them in the playoffs but a scrimmage was arranged with them before my sophomore season. It was against Eddie Moore and his bunch. We traveled to SP and I still remember the mutual respect and handshakes/conversations after it was over. It was the most intense scrimmage we ever had. They even had the scoreboard going for it. Keep in mind it was a scrimmage and both teams were trying to get everyone some time so the score didn't reflect a true game between starters. It ended in our favor 21-20. I just recall the 2nd string seeming to be just as good as the starters. It was just amazing how deep the team was. To their credit, I recall getting on the bus once it concluded with our coaches saying we wouldn't face anyone in the regular season that would be as tough as that scrimmage that year. It definitely helped. We made it to the semifinals that year. We lost the game by a point and would've met SP that year in the championship. They blew the doors off St. Benedict. I am not sure we could have done much against them in the title game, but I respect them for preparing us for the best season we ever had in my high school career. 

Thanks for letting an old man reminisce. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2022 at 11:29 AM, PercyPeabody said:

I agree SP always reloads. I unfortunately never met them in the playoffs but a scrimmage was arranged with them before my sophomore season. It was against Eddie Moore and his bunch. We traveled to SP and I still remember the mutual respect and handshakes/conversations after it was over. It was the most intense scrimmage we ever had. They even had the scoreboard going for it. Keep in mind it was a scrimmage and both teams were trying to get everyone some time so the score didn't reflect a true game between starters. It ended in our favor 21-20. I just recall the 2nd string seeming to be just as good as the starters. It was just amazing how deep the team was. To their credit, I recall getting on the bus once it concluded with our coaches saying we wouldn't face anyone in the regular season that would be as tough as that scrimmage that year. It definitely helped. We made it to the semifinals that year. We lost the game by a point and would've met SP that year in the championship. They blew the doors off St. Benedict. I am not sure we could have done much against them in the title game, but I respect them for preparing us for the best season we ever had in my high school career. 

Thanks for letting an old man reminisce. 

My cousin Brock Johnson (WR/DB) 1989-92, husband James Willis (RB/LB/DE) 1993, brother-in-law Dwight Willis (RB/LB) 1993-95 cousin Cory Cable (LB) 1993-96, nephew Daniel Willis (RB/LB) 2005-08, son Hunter Willis (QB/LB/S) 2013-16, & son Holden Willis (WR/DB/S) all played against SP through the years. We win some & they win some. It tends to go in streaks. They were our biggest playoff rival. GB often reloads, but just not as much as SP does.

5 minutes ago, ladykee said:

My cousin Brock Johnson (WR/DB) 1989-92, husband James Willis (RB/LB/DE) 1993, brother-in-law Dwight Willis (RB/LB) 1993-95 cousin Cory Cable (LB) 1993-96, nephew Daniel Willis (RB/LB) 2005-08, son Hunter Willis (QB/LB/S) 2013-16, & son Holden Willis (WR/DB/S) all played against SP through the years. We win some & they win some. It tends to go in streaks. They were our biggest playoff rival. GB often reloads, but just not as much as SP does.

Hometown team.  Gotta love these communities.  Close knit bunch.  

On 11/6/2022 at 12:50 PM, Southtowner said:

Hometown team.  Gotta love these communities.  Close knit bunch.  

Jus wondering HOW S Pitt in 1A has been so dominant for 20yrs? Is it something in the water or dare i say recruiting or possibly cross breeding. 
Or do all the Kids north of Chatt just move there because they’re not quite good enough to play at Baylor or McCallie. Something is going on because of the numbers. You can’t possibly be this good year in year out unless the gene pool in that community is somehow turning out athletes every year. 

53 minutes ago, IPOPU2022 said:

Jus wondering HOW S Pitt in 1A has been so dominant for 20yrs? Is it something in the water or dare i say recruiting or possibly cross breeding. 
Or do all the Kids north of Chatt just move there because they’re not quite good enough to play at Baylor or McCallie. Something is going on because of the numbers. You can’t possibly be this good year in year out unless the gene pool in that community is somehow turning out athletes every year. 

138ef404-c968-4957-92dd-b8135370349e_tex

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, IPOPU2022 said:

Easy on the cross breeding stuff they’ll get their swords and rolling cannons out and get coacht to to give them your IP address lol and plus you don’t want 5 different accounts run by the same guys trolling you on here the notifications are annoying.  

To answer your question though It has a lot to do with how close they are to 3 states. The state lines are very “loose” and it’s similar to how Memphis kids think, why be the 4th or 5th option on a subpar bigger classification team in GA, AL, MS or even Chattanooga when I can be top dog on a Single A team that’s going to compete and is only worried about winning football ships. I believe they have also benefited from all the TN Temple type schools that showed them the way not to get caught recruiting from other states or Chattanooga , so their players end up making bona fide moves so they are then legal to play. Tradition helps a ton kids want to play for them. 

6 hours ago, TheTruthHurts22 said:

Easy on the cross breeding stuff they’ll get their swords and rolling cannons out and get coacht to to give them your IP address lol and plus you don’t want 5 different accounts run by the same guys trolling you on here the notifications are annoying.  

To answer your question though It has a lot to do with how close they are to 3 states. The state lines are very “loose” and it’s similar to how Memphis kids think, why be the 4th or 5th option on a subpar bigger classification team in GA, AL, MS or even Chattanooga when I can be top dog on a Single A team that’s going to compete and is only worried about winning football ships. I believe they have also benefited from all the TN Temple type schools that showed them the way not to get caught recruiting from other states or Chattanooga , so their players end up making bona fide moves so they are then legal to play. Tradition helps a ton kids want to play for them. 

Name an SP finalist or winner that wasn't home grown.  Or a title game MVP that wasn't,  SP owns several title game records.  Longest pass play in a title game, Jake Stone to Antonio Chubb for 98 yards with Stone throwing out of the endzone hitting chub at the 45.  

7 hours ago, IPOPU2022 said:

Actually the dominance goes back to the first playoffs in 1969 and even long before that. Remember until 1992 there were 3 classes including all privates.   SP has actually lost more players over the years.  This year the best kicker in the state went to Baylor.  We have lost players to Boyd Buch in the past as well.  That doesn't account for the Jasper jumpers or the North Jackwagon bandwagon etc.

8 hours ago, TheTruthHurts22 said:

I kinda overlooked the geography and obviously the culture. It’s just shocking how many D1 guys have come from such a small school. Heck there are 5-6A schools that haven’t had any in a decade or more. S Pitt is just in a unique position with the winning history and all. Appreciate your input as always. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, IPOPU2022 said:

I kinda overlooked the geography and obviously the culture. It’s just shocking how many D1 guys have come from such a small school. Heck there are 5-6A schools that haven’t had any in a decade or more. S Pitt is just in a unique position with the winning history and all. Appreciate your input as always. 

SP has only had about 3 or 4 D1 guys in 53 years.  Bo Haden, Tim Moore, Eddie Moore and Dan Merriman.

• Like 1