The Greene Devils travel to the Greatest Show on Earth

noonesfool

I reviewed some things and GV is penalty prone. Some teams have had success in the ground against them,  statistically.  Where GV shines is if you give them a short field. I suppose that's true for any hs team but when you're average field position for starting drives is the 50yd line of course you'll have a lot of success.  Just an observation.  

1 hour ago, IPOPU2022 said:

You got any numbers on that D-Line. Height, weight, class, and college potential. Jus curious 

The two DE are Juniors one is 6'1 225lb and the other is 6'1 215 lb's.  Chrisman the one at 225lb was 3rd last year at 220lb state Wrestling tournament as a Sophomore.  The Two Senior DT both also will be starting Post players for Greeneville Basketball and played in the state championships last year and are Big and Athletic to say the least.  We rotate a lot on the D front to keep kids fresh 

31 minutes ago, FormerMav said:

I reviewed some things and GV is penalty prone. Some teams have had success in the ground against them,  statistically.  Where GV shines is if you give them a short field. I suppose that's true for any hs team but when you're average field position for starting drives is the 50yd line of course you'll have a lot of success.  Just an observation.  

That comes from our D getting us great field position with 3 and outs. Also from great punt and kick off returns. We did have a lot of penalties last week hopefully we get that cleaned up and its a clean game for both teams. No dumb penalties and no injuries  

5 minutes ago, Swipes said:

The two DE are Juniors one is 6'1 225lb and the other is 6'1 215 lb's.  Chrisman the one at 225lb was 3rd last year at 220lb state Wrestling tournament as a Sophomore.  The Two Senior DT both also will be starting Post players for Greeneville Basketball and played in the state championships last year and are Big and Athletic to say the least.  We rotate a lot on the D front to keep kids fresh 

Wow. . You guys are loaded with athletes. Guess that’s why you shut Betsy Out. Good to see the Kids play multiple sports. Seems like we’re getting away from that in HS Sports. 

Edited by IPOPU2022
Typo

36 minutes ago, FormerMav said:

Over the last 5 games we have avg. 75 yards in Penalties.  The most a team has rushed on us all year was 238 the first game of the season when the game was over at Half up 49-0.  2nd largest amount was 147 yards on 38 attempts against Mo West week 4. 

4 minutes ago, IPOPU2022 said:

Wow. . You guys are loaded with athletes. Guess that’s why you shut Betsy Out. Good to see the Kids play multiple sports. Seems like we’re getting away from that in HS Sports. 

I agree. It is good to focus on one sport more if you are gonna go play college ball but to have something else in the offseason could be huge not only for yourself but for your school. My favorite example was Haze Culbreth who was a football and soccer player but decided to play basketball in the middle of those two and he ended up hitting 4 or 5 straight 3s in the state quarterfinals to help a comeback win

15 minutes ago, GreeneDevil2020 said:

I agree. It is good to focus on one sport more if you are gonna go play college ball but to have something else in the offseason could be huge not only for yourself but for your school. My favorite example was Haze Culbreth who was a football and soccer player but decided to play basketball in the middle of those two and he ended up hitting 4 or 5 straight 3s in the state quarterfinals to help a comeback win

Agree. Unless you’re a lock for a scholarship it not only helps the school to play multiple sports. Folks don’t realize that great athletes in a 4A size school are a rare commodity. And even in Football a lot of your best kids start on both sides of the line. Some play the entire game. The biggest challenge is school spirit and community support to get every big athletic kid on the team. More and more are becoming too lazy and not motivated to put in the work. 

Edited by IPOPU2022
Typo

2 hours ago, Morice49 said:

IMO it's going to come down to a few things.  Devils taking Martinez out of his comfort zone (clean pocket). Who will have the best hands (qb's & rb's exchanges) in the cold?  Lastly can the Mavs with stand 4qtrs of continuously being hit on defense and offense and play fast? Because the games I've seen here recently the Mav's don't play a deep rotation and that is 1 thing they need.  Do I think they will bring it (Yes), but I've seen enough to question endurance and fast play.  This is my observance mine only.  Panel what is your take as we enter final walk through?  

I can say one thing pretty sure rotation would be a challenge coming back on field after being warm. I know I would had rather stayed in the field, then back and forth.

3 minutes ago, IPOPU2022 said:

Agree. Unless you’re a lock for a scholarship it not only helps the school to play multiple sports. Folks don’t realize that great athletes in a 4A size school are a rare commodity. And even in Football a lot of your best kids start on both sides of the line. Some play the entire game. The biggest challenge is school spirit and community support to get every big athletic kid on the team. More and more are becoming too lazy and not motivated to put in the work. 

Yeah the only reason why you should play more sports is the possibility of injury but even then people like Kobe last year, Everyone knew he was going to play basketball, one of the greatest basketball talents this area has ever seen.. Yet, he kept playing football to try to win a state championship in football too

Greeneville is good they aren't showing any weaknesses. AC is talented. I would almost say two opposing style of play on both sides of offence. Greeneville like former Mavs said they make you pay for garbage, turnovers. The Mavs will need to be methodical and play conservative on passing in this game. Grind out the clock and yet not too conservative. Its going to be a good game and with this atmosphere, crowd and noise that just adds to the dynamics of one by granny of a game.

1 hour ago, FormerMav said:

Most of the penalty issues was early in the year.  Most of that had been resolved with personnel change etc.