Almost Twice as Easy to Win a Football State Title than Any Other Sport in TSSAA

sx1234

27 minutes ago, FootballFan888 said:

It’s all a money grab for the T$$AA, they are such a lame duck body. I wish schools would form an alliance and pull out. They are worse than the NCAA, and that takes some pretty good corruption to achieve that. 

For too many year that bum Bernard Childress allowed the T$$AA to spiral downhill and now it is passed the point of no return.  

this quote says so much.

On 11/22/2022 at 1:43 PM, sx1234 said:

Since I am off work today, I took a way-to-deep dive into the new TSSAA classifications for next year. I found interest in seeing how many classifications there are for each sport (aka how many 'state champions' there are for each sport) compared to how many schools there are that compete in the TSSAA in that sport.  For simplicity's sake, I will focus solely on Division 1 (public schools).

In football, there are 298 teams and 6 classifications. This varies from each classification, but simple math would tell you that each school has a 2.01% of winning a state championship.  Those numbers seem very off when you look at basketball, baseball and softball- where there are 341 teams and only 4 classifications. Which means each school has only a 1.17% chance of winning a state championship.

Other Sports:

Track and Field- 264 Teams - 3 classifications = 1.14% chance to be a state champion 

Soccer: 260 Teams- 3 classifications = 1.15% chance to be a state champion

Volleyball: 304 teams- 3 classifications = 0.98% chance to be a state champion

Wrestling: 157 teams - 2 classifications = 1.27% chance to be a state champion

Cross Country: 260 teams = 2 classifications = 0.77% chance to be a state champion

Golf & Tennis: 284 teams = 2 classifications = 0.70% chance to be a state champion

Bowling: 131 Teams - 1 classification = 0.76% chance to be a state champion

Interesting footnote- Girls' Wrestling is the only sport that does not separate Division 1 from Division 2, nor does it create a A, AA, AAA  system.  There are a total of 130 schools that compete in girls' wrestling, and there is only 1 state champion (that has Title IX lawsuit written all over it for any parent that wants to push it lol).  So Maryville's girls, Alcoa's girls, Greeneville's girls, and Baylor's girls all compete for the same state title.... Now If only they had to do that in football

What equation, figure, or thought you have left out is that in reality some schools have absolutely 0% chance of winning a state championship. They have a football program just for the purpose of having one. They don't have the resources, (what ever those resources might be), to ever have any chance to compet for a state championship. Plus football is the most demanding sport physically, mentally, and emotionally.

5 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

What equation, figure, or thought you have left out is that in reality some schools have absolutely 0% chance of winning a state championship. They have a football program just for the purpose of having one. They don't have the resources, (what ever those resources might be), to ever have any chance to compet for a state championship.

Fair point

Plus football is the most demanding sport physically, mentally, and emotionally. 

Not. Even. Close. Tell me you've never been on a wrestling mat without telling me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TotallynotLEO said:

You don't take the force hits in wrestling as you do in football or get totally knocked out. It's physics. 225 pound LB or de coming from 10 yards away as fast as they can to hit a 170 pound RB , WR, or QB. Never happens in wrestling. Imagine what that does to you. There are no weight limits in football plus a football game can last much longer than a few second pinfall. Sure wrestling is very strenuous and a great challenging spot. I stand by my football analogy.

5 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

You don't take the force hits in wrestling as you do in football or get totally knocked out. It's physics. 225 pound LB or de coming from 10 yards away as fast as they can to hit a 170 pound RB , WR, or QB. Never happens in wrestling. Imagine what that does to you. There are no weight limits in football plus a football game can last much longer than a few second pinfall. Sure wrestling is very strenuous and a great challenging spot. I stand by my football analogy.

Ask an athlete who participates in both and I promise you they'll say wrestling is tougher. You "play" football, there's no "play" in wrestling.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Ask an athlete who participates in both and I promise you they'll say wrestling is tougher. You "play" football, there's no "play" in wrestling.

Come up with what ever cleache you want but l bet you will still find there are more catastrophic injuries in football, you always wrestle someone your weight class in wrestling, the intensity of the physical altercation is more repetitive in football especially at the LOS, and the mental and and physical stress put on the body over time at certain positions is more intense. Plus you can win a match or State  Championship in wrestling but your team can lose. In football there are no individual game wins. You only win or lose as a team.

Day 1 wrestling practices/ tryouts have produced more basketball and football players than the reverse. Just ask any HS athlete that has done both.

You'll get no argument about head injuries.  Football players suffer more concussions, as evidenced by posters here.

You can't blame anyone else.  You're by yourself on the mat. The excuses in football... he missed his block,  he held me,  he ran the wrong route etc don't work.  There are not 10 other guys you can blame.  The only thing you get is what you earn.  

25 minutes ago, TotallynotLEO said:

Day 1 wrestling practices/ tryouts have produced more basketball and football players than the reverse. Just ask any HS athlete that has done both.

You'll get no argument about head injuries.  Football players suffer more concussions, as evidenced by posters here.

You can't blame anyone else.  You're by yourself on the mat. The excuses in football... he missed his block,  he held me,  he ran the wrong route etc don't work.  There are not 10 other guys you can blame.  The only thing you get is what you earn.  

I have seen state championship football teams with no wrestlers on it and if you just make excuses for not doing your job in football you get replaced. Go back over to the wrestling boards where there hasn't been a post since last wrestling season.

I like both sports,  for different reasons and keep up with both on here.  I am actively involved in both at the HS and youth levels.  I just saw your comment about football being the most physically,  emotionally and mentally challenging sport and responded. My initial comment probably was a bit snarky, no disrespect meant. We can agree to disagree.   I stand by my informed opinion that football players think football is the toughest sport. Wrestlers know. 

6 hours ago, TotallynotLEO said:

Message boards participation means a sport is tougher now? 

Go ask HS kids that do both.  That's where you're answer is. 

I guess he doesn't check that board much, but you and I know that board is almost as active as any of of football boards on the T if not more during certain periods of the calendar. 

• Upvote 1