Way too early 1A predictions

Summit22

• 2 weeks later...

From the east side of the state I would say I would pick Coalfield and University High.  University should host substate against Greenback and Coalfield should host Hampton again. University graduated 8 starters and has some growing pains but they look like they should breeze through district 1 and 2. Hampton looks like the other team to come out of region 1 but they are not good. There’s just nobody else. Maybe North Green can compete with them.  Coalfield looks like they could be the favorites to win it all. Returning everybody helps a lot. They had a good comeback against university in a very well played single A baseball game.  It would surprise me if it is not those 2 teams returning to the state tournament from region 1 and 2. 

9 hours ago, TheBaseballGuy1985 said:

From the east side of the state I would say I would pick Coalfield and University High.  University should host substate against Greenback and Coalfield should host Hampton again. University graduated 8 starters and has some growing pains but they look like they should breeze through district 1 and 2. Hampton looks like the other team to come out of region 1 but they are not good. There’s just nobody else. Maybe North Green can compete with them.  Coalfield looks like they could be the favorites to win it all. Returning everybody helps a lot. They had a good comeback against university in a very well played single A baseball game.  It would surprise me if it is not those 2 teams returning to the state tournament from region 1 and 2. 

Don’t sleep on Unaka they’re going to get better as the season goes on

On 2/10/2023 at 9:10 AM, BelmontRebel said:

East Robertson will be there or at least close.  Again. 

Was able to catch ER play at home against White House Heritage tonight, went into the top of the 7th up 9-5 and gave up 7 runs with 2 outs and lost 12-9. They looked pretty good in the field and very good at bat just couldn’t quite close it out. Good ballgame with two really good teams. Wyatt Pearson had 4 hits I believe, with a HR and a triple and Austin Jones had a HR. East Robertson should be a tough out in 1A for the next 3-4 years with the young talent they have.

On 4/5/2023 at 10:43 AM, TheBaseballGuy1985 said:

You’re definitely right about Coalfield. They should easily make it back again this year. For the other team to come out of districts 3&4 it’s more of a toss up. Oakdale and whoever the other team out of district 3 will have a shot with the region being double elimination. Greenback lost on the road to Wartburg with their ace on the mound. The other 3 teams in district 3 will battle it out for the other spot on the region and I expect Greenback and Oakdale to come out of district 4 as they seem to be the best 2 teams on that side. Wartburg, Oneida, and Oliver Springs are all even and it will be interesting to see where everybody’s pitching is at. Wartburg getting back their best pitcher from injury starting this week is huge for them on the mound and being in the batting lineup. 

On 4/5/2023 at 8:14 PM, IPOPU2022 said:

Don’t sleep on Unaka they’re going to get better as the season goes on

I hate to say it, but no. Sure, Ramsey is a good arm, but they can't hit, they are error prone, they're fundamentally unsound, and they're undisciplined. I mean they're somewhat better than than they were last year, but that was bar none the worst team Unaka has ever produced in it's 80+ year history. If they win more than 5 games this year, it'll be a good season. 

UH is young and just not really that sharp, I think they'll end up in Murfreesboro come May just by process of elimination. NG is down. Hampton isn't very good. In district 2, I think Hancock County might come out on top, and they couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie. 

Coalfield is obviously the best team in section 1, and I'm not even sold on them being THAT good. Only other region 2 teams I see doing anything are Oneida or Greenback, and I don't see either of them bussing up to Johnson City and winning two games in a 3 day period. 

It's just not a good year for 1A baseball over on the far eastern side of the state. 

Edited by crazzyness

1 hour ago, crazzyness said:

I hate to say it, but no. Sure, Ramsey is a good arm, but they can't hit, they are error prone, they're fundamentally unsound, and they're undisciplined. I mean they're somewhat better than than they were last year, but that was bar none the worst team Unaka has ever produced in it's 80+ year history. If they win more than 5 games this year, it'll be a good season. 

UH is young and just not really that sharp, I think they'll end up in Murfreesboro come May just by process of elimination. NG is down. Hampton isn't very good. In district 2, I think Hancock County might come out on top, and they couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie. 

Coalfield is obviously the best team in section 1, and I'm not even sold on the being THAT good. Only other region 2 teams I see doing anything are Oneida or Greenback, and I don't see either of them bussing up to Johnson City and winning two games in a 3 day period. 

It's just not a good year for 1A baseball over on the far eastern side of the state. 

You make good points. I don’t think Oneida makes it to the region this year. They have 1 good arm in their rotation and everybody else they put on the mound is prone to walk and hit batters. It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the district 3 tournament and who comes out of there along with Coalfield. Between the other 3 teams I believe Wartburg has the best pitching rotation but you never know what you’re going to get out of that team, they’re very inconsistent.

On 4/11/2023 at 7:17 AM, crazzyness said:

Coalfield is obviously the best team in section 1, and I'm not even sold on them being THAT good. Only other region 2 teams I see doing anything are Oneida or Greenback, and I don't see either of them bussing up to Johnson City and winning two games in a 3 day period. 

Thanks for the info. I’m a Creeker and apparently had a very unreliable source tell me they’d be a different team the 2nd half of the season. You’re right UH is probably the class of 1A in region 1. Probably with no dominant teams in the Region i could see UH getting to the State but packing their bags awfully quick. But it’s Baseball. Who Really thought Hampton’s Boy’s Basketball team bringing home the Gold Ball. I actually thought the Girls had a better shot at making the Finals than the Boys. But they brought their A Game when it counted against some arguably “private school” competition. . I’m just as Excited for those kids and Carter Co in general as i was nearly 20yrs ago when Unaka shocked everyone. Good luck to UH if they get outta the Region and make a good showing for Upper ET. 

Edited by IPOPU2022