Who made a better hire? Cleveland or Oak Ridge?

ILB1999

Might as well keep the discussion going lol...

Fact - OR is a great school/system, and has been for quite some time.

Fact - OR has one of the highest employment rates of certified teachers with advanced degrees (MS/EdS/PhD) in the state.

Fact - The OR city school system has the highest average teacher salary in the state, although Maryville and Alcoa are a close 2nd/3rd.

Fact - Knox County has a handful of really high performing schools as well, specifically Farragut, Bearden, West, HVA, and L&N.

Fact - Other very successful school systems in the area have borrowed from the OR "model", specifically Maryville, Alcoa, and Greeneville.

Fact - A number of other schools in the area have caught up to OR in the past 10-20 years from a performance rankings perspective, largely because of improvements in college readiness and more AP class offerings across the board.

IMO, the one unique thing that separates OR from all of the other schools in the area is the quality/credentials of the faculty from top to bottom. Does that automatically equate to the highest performing students? Not necessarily, but they historically are one of the highest performing schools in the state year after year, and that isn't debatable.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. And you certainly can't make him thirsty.

5 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Fact - OR has one of the highest employment rates of certified teachers with advanced degrees (MS/EdS/PhD) in the state.

Fact - The OR city school system has the highest average teacher salary in the state, although Maryville and Alcoa are a close 2nd/3rd.

Fact - Knox County has a handful of really high performing schools as well, specifically Farragut, Bearden, West, HVA, and L&N.

Fact - Other very successful school systems in the area have borrowed from the OR "model", specifically Maryville, Alcoa, and Greeneville.

Fact - A number of other schools in the area have caught up to OR in the past 10-20 years from a performance rankings perspective, largely because of improvements in college readiness and more AP class offerings across the board.

IMO, the one unique thing that separates OR from all of the other schools in the area is the quality/credentials of the faculty from top to bottom. Does that automatically equate to the highest performing students? Not necessarily, but they historically are one of the highest performing schools in the state year after year, and that isn't debatable.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. And you certainly can't make him thirsty.

Well said.

ILB, while we’re at it, name me another school in this state who has sent their girls and boys basketball teams, as well as their football team to the state championship in the past 8-10 years. I can’t think of one myself, but maybe you can? Yeah, sadly, we lost each time, although we were oh so close in both boys and girls basketball. Still, I don’t think any other public school in Tennessee can claim that feat, that I’m aware of?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

100%!!!  He must have just moved into the area after the mass exodus of people moving from California :lol:

30 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

This is a pretty good accurate summary, that unlike the others takes into account that actual ranking sytems based on student results put OR a ways down the list.  

OR used to be amazing.  They're still prettygood.  I'm personally of the belief that credentials don't always equal talent.  OR has a grad rate at 91%.  The entire county of Knoxville has a 90% rate.  The specific knoxville schools you mentioned are at 97-98%.  that's weird to me.  

I had lots of teachers that had DR in front of their names.  They were hardly ever the best teachers i had.  But go on.  y'all convince yourself otherwiese

20 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

ILB, while we’re at it, name me another school in this state who has sent their girls and boys basketball teams, as well as their football team to the state championship in the past 8-10 years. I can’t think of one myself, but maybe you can? Yeah, sadly, we lost each time, although we were oh so close in both boys and girls basketball. Still, I don’t think any other public school in Tennessee can claim that feat, that I’m aware of?

Not taking away from your comment but Greeneville Can.  Girls made it last year, Boys won it in 21 and 22, and Football Champs in 17 and 18.  

We have also been to the State Finals in Wrestling Duels, State Baseball Champs in 2018, Track Champs last year , Boys Soccer Champs (2019-2017), Womans Soccer State  Champs (2020, 2019, 2016, 2015), Softball State Champs 2015, Womans Tennis Runner up 2015,  Volleyball at state (2022, 2020), and Boys Cross Country 2013 Champs

I think it would be hard to find another school that has won or sent more teams to state than Greeneville has the last 10 years.

1 minute ago, Swipes said:

Not taking away from your comment but Greeneville Can.  Girls made it last year, Boys won it in 21 and 22, and Football Champs in 17 and 18.  

We have also been to the State Finals in Wrestling Duels, State Baseball Champs in 2018, Track Champs last year , Boys Soccer Champs (2019-2017), Womans Soccer State  Champs (2020, 2019, 2016, 2015), Softball State Champs 2015, Womans Tennis Runner up 2015,  Volleyball at state (2022, 2020), and Boys Cross Country 2013 Champs

I think it would be hard to find another school that has won or sent more teams to state than Greeneville has the last 10 years.

Ok, Greeneville. I stand corrected, but besides y’all, I bet there ain’t many, if any.

2 minutes ago, Swipes said:

That’s an impressive list, though, for sure! 

36 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

It's clear you think I was badmouthing OR.  I wasn't.  They're a very good basketball school.  If I had a kid that was a basketball player, There are only a few others schools in the area I'd consider.

4 minutes ago, Swipes said:

and Greeneville, is one of the best all around school systems in the state.