Uperman and south rd 1

ball21

1 hour ago, crow6424 said:

SS defense was absolutely smothering. Our poor girls couldn’t do anything. We were one really good ball handler away from another state championship. 

Overall it was a fun game to watch. SS's pressure causes the ball to get thrown around a lot, and when SS #2 (Lawson) got her 4th foul....I thought Upperman would take advantage and get back into it. I kept waiting for U to bust a three, but when it got within 5 a time or two....SS found a way to get behind the defense. U#24 was trying to figure out a way to score, but it appeared SS made a good adjustment on her in the 2nd half. It was fun to watch and good season Upperman. 

24 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

Overall it was a fun game to watch. SS's pressure causes the ball to get thrown around a lot, and when SS #2 (Lawson) got her 4th foul....I thought Upperman would take advantage and get back into it. I kept waiting for U to bust a three, but when it got within 5 a time or two....SS found a way to get behind the defense. U#24 was trying to figure out a way to score, but it appeared SS made a good adjustment on her in the 2nd half. It was fun to watch and good season Upperman. 

I am glad our sophomore came in & played great defense after that bogus called 4th foul on Lawson, which was a charge. Thank God coach Brent have developed our younger players. 

Edited by HawkGuy06

4 hours ago, crow6424 said:

SS defense was absolutely smothering. Our poor girls couldn’t do anything. We were one really good ball handler away from another state championship. 

Hard to play slow and ball control against a defense like that. I was suprised actually how slow the pace was. Announcer kept talking about it. We have played South Side for many years and you better play in attack mode on offense or it becomes a Turnover real quick. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HawkGuy06 said:

I am glad our sophomore came in & played great defense after that bogus called 4th foul on Lawson, which was a charge. Thank God coach Brent have developed our younger players. 

#1 (the fast short young lady) hit a couple of big 3s as well for SS. I'll say that Lawson definitely has a different gear and gets fast, when she wants to go somewhere. I couldn't tell if she ducked her shoulder on that one, but it appeared that #22 from U was behind her on that putback and may have "assisted" with that call being called with her reaction. But I liked how Coach B played offense/defense with #2 after that 4th foul. I knew she let a couple of layups go by that she'd normally challenge, but that's the smart play to do when you have 4 fouls with a lot of time left. 

3 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Hard to play slow and ball control against a defense like that. I was suprised actually how slow the pace was. Announcer kept talking about it. We have played South Side for many years and you better play in attack mode on offense or it becomes a Turnover real quick. 

True. If you're going to play that way against an aggressive team, you'll definitely need an exceptional ball handler who can see the floor and handle the ball under pressure. SS missed several FTs (front end of 1&1s) and some inside shots they normally don't miss too. But defensively, SS was everywhere that Upperman wanted to be. That's hard to account for in practice with a team that plays that way. 

2 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

True. If you're going to play that way against an aggressive team, you'll definitely need an exceptional ball handler who can see the floor and handle the ball under pressure. SS missed several FTs (front end of 1&1s) and some inside shots they normally don't miss too. But defensively, SS was everywhere that Upperman wanted to be. That's hard to account for in practice with a team that plays that way. 

Didn’t Upperman lose a Miss Basketball winner or Finalist last year?? I ought to know more about them. We have actually played them two years in a row in the off-season but I don’t know there names. 

2 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Didn’t Upperman lose a Miss Basketball winner or Finalist last year?? I ought to know more about them. We have actually played them two years in a row in the off-season but I don’t know there names. 

I think the young lady's name was Crouch or Couch and I'm pretty confident she was Ms. Basketball last year. I'm not sure if #24 from Upperman is related to her, but I can tell she's a very good solid player/scorer as well. 

17 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

#1 (the fast short young lady) hit a couple of big 3s as well for SS. I'll say that Lawson definitely has a different gear and gets fast, when she wants to go somewhere. I couldn't tell if she ducked her shoulder on that one, but it appeared that #22 from U was behind her on that putback and may have "assisted" with that call being called with her reaction. But I liked how Coach B played offense/defense with #2 after that 4th foul. I knew she let a couple of layups go by that she'd normally challenge, but that's the smart play to do when you have 4 fouls with a lot of time left. 

Yea that was the key on the victory! He is a very smart coach! It was a great job! Timia was very smart on letting a few easy layups get by her & not picking up her 5th foul 

• Like 1