You're outa here

Jeremiah

1 hour ago, BelmontRebel said:

The umpire in question is a good umpire and a good person.   Maybe he was having a bad day.  People are so quick to judge.

Leave it to the news media and social media to tear someone down.  

He's also a college umpire and has always done a good job.  

Your level of conduct on a bad day is what defines you...everyone has them, but rarely do people venture too far from their "normal" behavior and have such an effect on so many others. The media didn't tear this guy down. I suspect that he knew what people's perception of the situation would be, and attempted to get out in front of that with his side of the story...if that's the case, it's weaker than I'd have imagined. As for the "quick to judge" accusation, it doesn't take long to figure out that there's not much chance that this was anything other than a mature adult having a juvenile meltdown because some kid (then his coach) wouldn't bow to his authority, and if the ump was justified because actual rules were broken the catcher and not the entire crowd would have been delt with.

2 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Your level of conduct on a bad day is what defines you...everyone has them, but rarely do people venture too far from their "normal" behavior and have such an effect on so many others. The media didn't tear this guy down. I suspect that he knew what people's perception of the situation would be, and attempted to get out in front of that with his side of the story...if that's the case, it's weaker than I'd have imagined. As for the "quick to judge" accusation, it doesn't take long to figure out that there's not much chance that this was anything other than a mature adult having a juvenile meltdown because some kid (then his coach) wouldn't bow to his authority, and if the ump was justified because actual rules were broken the catcher and not the entire crowd would have been delt with.

• Once again those were my thoughts.  I have read some downright mean things about this.  People love this kind of thing and are quick to voice their hateful opinions.  Not just about him, but officials in general.    I'm not saying what he did was the right thing to do.  All in all we move on and learn.   

6 minutes ago, BelmontRebel said:
  • Once again those were my thoughts.  I have read some downright mean things about this.  People love this kind of thing and are quick to voice their hateful opinions.  Not just about him, but officials in general.    I'm not saying what he did was the right thing to do.  All in all we move on and learn.   

This is a message board and you have every right to voice your opinion, but to respond to debate with "I wasn't talking to you" is asinine. When you make a statement, you should be prepared for someone not to agree with you. The poster who's reply generated your response didn't have a hateful opinion nor mentioned any other official, just politely contradicted views.

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

This is a message board and you have every right to voice your opinion, but to respond to debate with "I wasn't talking to you" is asinine. When you make a statement, you should be prepared for someone not to agree with you. The poster who's reply generated your response didn't have a hateful opinion nor mentioned any other official, just politely contradicted views.

I noticed you like to criticize basketball officials as well.  That's awesome.  

On 4/2/2023 at 10:52 PM, tradertwo said:

I agree with everything in this post but having said that, if I'm going to gripe about the bad ones I'll give some props to a good one from my neck of the woods... I was shocked to see Keith Wish calling in the girls tourney. When I noticed that he was on the floor before the game I felt kind of bad for him...he's a good dude and has been a good official in the past, but moved into a high profile management job a few years back and left calling games behind (or so I thought). I lost track of him for a few years, but he evidently still calls games someplace, because here he was calling in the tournament. Trying not to write a book, so I'll just say that when the game was over I was impressed.... he never tried to be the center of attention, and I didn't see a call that I thought he missed. Wish (no pun intended) that they were all like him.

8 hours ago, BelmontRebel said:

I noticed you like to criticize basketball officials as well.  That's awesome.  

Awesome of you to keep track of my posts, but for those who don't, here's my last post regarding officials. Looking back, I hope that I wasn't too hard on him.:mrgreen:

On 4/24/2023 at 10:35 PM, tradertwo said:

Awesome of you to keep track of my posts, but for those who don't, here's my last post regarding officials. Looking back, I hope that I wasn't too hard on him.:mrgreen:

Keith calls up in the North West.  We had him several times at McKenzie. He does a good job for the most part.  I think sometimes he is quick to throw a "T" but, he is a good official.