Apparently NJ is only 1 pt better in a dual than TN

Biffmar4

NJ has or 24 or 25 kids ranked on Flo across all the weight classes except 113, 152, and 195. Tennessee has one excluding Hunter (who has graduated), Cooper Hilton (currently 13th).  I'm not sure how competitive we would be if we lined up their best with our best if I'm being honest.  The rankings are not super accurate IMO with respect to High School so I could be pleasantly surprised.  

Edited by oceansize42
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

NJ has or 24 or 25 kids ranked on Flo across all the weight classes except 113, 152, and 195. Tennessee has one excluding Hunter (who has graduated), Cooper Hilton (currently 13th).  I'm not sure how competitive we would be if we lined up their best with our best if I'm being honest.  The rankings are not super accurate IMO with respect to High School so I could be pleasantly surprised.  

Based on the list of names who couldn't compete or refused to go its easy to see why we're not competitive. Some of these kids could very easily be ranked in the country if they'd wrestle outside of December to February.

31 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

Based on the list of names who couldn't compete or refused to go its easy to see why we're not competitive. Some of these kids could very easily be ranked in the country if they'd wrestle outside of December to February.

The team was competitive to a point as they won their yellow/green while NJ won their Red/Blue. Now yes TN did miss out on the top level gold/silver, bronze/copper so there were at least 14 teams that wished they could have finished as well as Team TN did.

1 hour ago, Ummmno said:

There wasn't a single flo ranked kid from NJ on the team that TN faced, not one. You are aware of that right?  Even with the kids named I'm not sure our team matches up if it is NJ best vs TN best.  I think we win a few, fight hard at a few and then things get away from us. Overall I do think TN is moving in the right direction with respect to our elite kids.

Edited by oceansize42
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

There wasn't a single flo ranked kid from NJ on the team that TN faced, not one. You are aware of that right?  Even with the kids named I'm not sure our team matches up if it is NJ best vs TN best.  I think we win a few, fight hard at a few and then things get away from us. Overall I do think TN is moving in the right direction with respect to our elite kids.

I would agree with this, as I said earlier in post they only brought 7 place winners with them and none had finished higher than 4th in NJ. Of the 7 that placed there TN won With Dupill over 5th place NJ Paino 7-0,  Sturgill won by tech over Ballante who finished 6th,  Stacey won by TF over Rella Jr who finished 4th.  NJ other placers won by TF over Colson, TF over Ropski, TF over Curtis and TF over Redford.  Ballante was number 1 seed at 157 in NJ but finished 6th and Schlett was 2 seed at 215 but finished 6th. Ortega(126) and Bautista(113) qualified for NJ state but did not place, the others did not qualify.  I think everyone on Team TN besides Locke Sessions was a state placer for TN, TN took 7 state champs(Dupill, Little, Hunley, Sturgill, Norman, Stacey, Cordero), 4-2nd(Ropski, Heckert, Redford, Colson) 1-3rd(Curtis), 2-5th(Heflin, Barlow). Glad these wrestlers were able to make the duals and represented TN very well! 

• Like 1

In the FS pool, we lost by 2 to Utah and 1 to NJ and the kids wrestled hard.  The wrestlers didn't maximize their opportunities and some of their inexperience in the dual aspect of these two disciplines showed (giving away a caution pt before TF their opponent giving them 1 team point, teching kids instead of pinning them losing another net 1 team point, etc). 

The jersey kids were in the same room as us waiting hours upon hours to wrestle talking about how they would just plow through us, so was satisfying to have a competitive dual with a chance of winning going into the last two bouts.  Saw some of these "soft" TN kids take the NJ kids that showed up to deep water, which was also satisfying. 

All in all, great tournament for TN and the kids and culture continue to trend up and to the right.  Shoot, Heckert was woken up Monday morning with the ask to compete in greco and freestyle, neither of which he'd ever done before, and flew out that night to join the team bc the 195 that had committed never bothered to tell anyone he was injured and wasn't going to show up.  Talk about scrappy and fearless.  Was fun to watch him throw down.

Carson, Jarvis, Sturgill, and Norman wrestled lights out.  Jake Stacey is a savage!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Biffmar4 said:

In the FS pool, we lost by 2 to Utah and 1 to NJ and the kids wrestled hard.  The wrestlers didn't maximize their opportunities and some of their inexperience in the dual aspect of these two disciplines showed (giving away a caution pt before TF their opponent giving them 1 team point, teching kids instead of pinning them losing another net 1 team point, etc). 

The jersey kids were in the same room as us waiting hours upon hours to wrestle talking about how they would just plow through us, so was satisfying to have a competitive dual with a chance of winning going into the last two bouts.  Saw some of these "soft" TN kids take the NJ kids that showed up to deep water, which was also satisfying. 

All in all, great tournament for TN and the kids and culture continue to trend up and to the right.  Shoot, Heckert was woken up Monday morning with the ask to compete in greco and freestyle, neither of which he'd ever done before, and flew out that night to join the team bc the 195 that had committed never bothered to tell anyone he was injured and wasn't going to show up.  Talk about scrappy and fearless.  Was fun to watch him throw down.

Carson, Jarvis, Sturgill, and Norman wrestled lights out.  Jake Stacey is a savage!

That’s great and I’m proud of those that took advantage of the opportunity to wrestle competition like they did. That same NJ team also beat the Utah team by a little more than they did the TN team. I figured more kids from NJ would want to take advantage of the opportunity but they literally had 15 kids total signed up, so it seems quite a few of them were wrestling up multiple weight classes compared to usual so they would have a full team. I mean they’re heavy placed 4th at 175 just 3 months ago.