2023 TSSAA Single A Volleyball Thread

Rockstar89

8 hours ago, Rockstar89 said:

Harpeth gets to state for the first time since 2019 by defeating Summertown 3-1. If my stats are correct Summertown has only missed state twice in the last 15 years.

Loretto no problem with Camden. 

Big surprise that Eagleville will stay at home after a great season…got swept by East Robertson. 

No surprise with Sale Creek and South Greene getting the easy wins. 

CSAS return for the 2nd year in a row

Milan in with the forfeit and no result yet for the other west team  

GC won over Middleton 3-0! The Lady Pioneers Volleyball team heads to state for the 2nd year in a row! 

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2023 at 4:59 PM, MustangFanForLife said:

Exactly. I don't know what the fix is, but something needs to change. 

Heavy fines and other sanctions  MUST be levied against schools that do this by the TSSAA without fail. It seems very prevalent in volleyball and softball especially from Memphis city schools. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ctread2019 said:

Every team fights through injuries at some point during the grind of the season. Eagleville’s battle just happened at tournament time.

Arguably their best two players were severely hobbled by ankle injuries heading into this week. Their Senior setter and Junior OS. I heard/read that they had an 8th grader, 2 freshmen, and a sophomore setter in their main rotation during the Region and sectional games.

I watched the East Rob stream and will say that East Rob played very well especially defensively. They earned their trip to Mirfreesboro.

I was wondering. That’s tough. I have not seen East Rob play but heard they were good…had seen Eagleville a couple of times and they were definitely stout. You hate to see one of them sit regardless after such a good season. 

Summertown also arguably had their best player on the bench all year due to injuries. You hate to see that happen to anyone. 

UPSET IN THE MAKING??? Not near over yet, but Milan wins set one vs Sale Creek 25-22. Sale Creek absolutely melted down. Couldn’t get ball over the net to save their lives at the end. Milan has a huge contingency in the stands that are losing their minds. 

Sale Creek rights the ship and jumps all over the Bulldogs in sets two thru four to take the match in the manner we all thought they might. Set one comes to show, you gotta come ready to win at this level! 

Edited by Rockstar89

1 hour ago, westtn12 said:

I would say that lackluster match between South Greene and Gibson county wasn’t so lackluster… if I’m not mistaken south Greene is #1 in the polls and Gibson county battled. 

Yes, you are mistaken. South Greene *was* ranked 6th in state until they got beat by Harpeth last night. Coach T’s rankings are a suggestion at best since teams don’t tend to update information here and no one seeks it out. A certain ‘other’ website is traditionally much more accurate. 

Gibson Co. wins best uni’s in the tourney though (no joke, love the colorway!)

Edited by Rockstar89

First two teams to join the Final Four are Sale Creek with a gutsy 3-1 win over Loretto, and Harpeth who had a gut check of their own with a 3-1 win over a much improved CSAS. 

First two out are Milan (who surprised everyone by stealing  a set from Sale Creek yesterday) and Gibson Co who gave a valiant effort against South Greene. 

Also, some of the WORST officiating ever today at Rockvale. Both the Loretto/Sale Creek and the Harpeth/CSAS game had some head scratcher and downright wrong/awful calls. Gotta be better. 

Edited by Rockstar89

Loretto pulls a MAJOR gut check today winning three games vs South Greene, East Robertson and Harpeth. The East Rob and Harpeth games were real battles, down to the wire…and they pulled them out. Bad thing is…their reward is a tough as nails Sale Creek team who is fresh, rested and looking for their 50th win of the season and their first state championship tomorrow morning at 10am. Sale Creek is very good. They look beatable at times, yet no one can seem to do it. LoL. I can’t image Loretto has a lot left in the tank, but I guess we will find out in the morning! Good luck to all!

I will once again say that the officiating at Rockvale for the single A tourney has been dismal for several matches. Tonight was no exception. No team was immune. The calls were all over the place. It was awful. Got to do way better for the kids once we get to this level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats to state champion Sale Creek who defeats Loretto 3-1. They have won 50 matches this year and only lost two. One to Signal Mountain who will possibly win AA later today and the 2nd to Pope in GA who was ranked #9 in the nation at that time. They really are a super solid club. Congrats Lady Panthers!

Kudos to Sale Creek; they're a great team and deserved that win! Loretto played great for having to fight back yesterday. Didn't see much fatigue out there today. With only two seniors, they should be back next year.

On a side note, this has been some of the worst officiating in a volleyball state Tournament in a long time. Not even talking about against Loretto, but across the board in the Single A Tournament. Too worried about being an authority figure instead of their consistency. The one for the Championship wasn't bad but clearly asserted that he was in charge. You are not the focus of the match. 

Final note, other than Milan and Gibson, this seemed to be a very good Tournament as far as caliber of teams. The future is bright for volleyball!

• Like 1